LegacyGT.com

How much you pay for your 60k service?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do this yourself:

Change oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, rear diff fluid, inspect power steering fluid, flush radiator, change air filter and cabin filter, inspect brakes and lubricate caliper slide pins, check brake hoses, inspect exhaust system, inspect strut towers, inspect sway bar mounting bushings, inspect tie-rods and control arms, rotate tires (as needed).

Then get them to change your spark plugs. :)

Joe

^ +1..

Trans/Diffs, oil change, tire rotation, filters are all very easy.. Coolant can be messy & requires some knowledge to do it right, as well as the cabin filter for some MY's.. Brakes are better left to an experience tech or friend IMO.. Inspecting the other parts for cracks, wear, abnormalities & leaks are easy.. Plugs are a PITA, so a tech could do those too..

If you're able or willing to do these things you'll save significantly on the 60k service..

I used to think the same thing about brakes (leave it to others) until I did my own. Now I'll never let someone else touch my brakes.

Changing pads is EASIER than an oil change. Flushing brake fluid? Piece of cake. Just take your time. In fact, buy a power bleeder (or a suction device functioning as the same) and make it REALLY easy. Replacing rotors is a breeze.

Cooling systems in 95% of cars are easy to flush. Drain, fill, burp, fill, burp, fill, cap.

Joe

Pads & rotors I agree.. If you haven't done brake fluid, which I haven't, I'd at least recommend an experienced hand to guide the process for a first timer..

Secondly, with the coolant system.. 'Drain, fill, burp, fill, burp, fill, cap' is very abbreviated..

I understand what you're saying, but for an inexperienced hand, it can be very frustrating & potentially very unsafe for you & your car..

Booze - Cooling system - Drain the fluid, replace drain cap, fill the radiator and reservoir (as applicable) to full levels via all available filling stations, start car and turn heater on high with the caps off. Allow fluid to circulate and top off as it goes down...give it about 15 minutes like this. Turn car off and let car cool. (You can usually safely stop here)....for extra protection, after car has cooled, repeat process of letting car run with caps off and heater on full blast. Top off as necessary. Cap securely.

What am I missing?

I did my brake fluid for my first time with my wife pumping the pedal (she is neither technically capable or automotively leaning) and myself and a 18 inch length of tubing and an empty 32 ounce soda bottle and a bottle of $5 synthetic brake fluid. I read about 4 DIY guides. I give to you that it is a crucial system.....but so is tire rotation. An experienced hand is DEFINITELY welcome, but as long as you have plenty of time set aside and know the ground-rules, you can be safe. I'd also suggest keeping a spare bottle of un-opened brake fluid around.

Or just spend $60 on a power-bleeder system and make it a piece of cake.

Anyway, we're just arguing semantics. Brake fluid flush is something usually $60-75 is charged for but which costs about $5-10 in parts and aboout 45 minutes in time using the 2-person method I used....faster if it's not your first time, or if you are using ATE Super blue fluid. :)

Joe

it may be the best bet to ask for the overall quote and then say "what if I do X Y and Z?" cos if you say "I want the 60k service minus x y and z" they will make some crap up like "oh well it costs the same whether you did it or not because we cant be certain you did it right."
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

thanks for the info.

I hate bleeding brakes so I'd rather have them do that part.

"inspect" exhaust system? :confused: for what? yup.. its there.. :lol:

Inspect exhaust system for exhaust hangers rotting out, excessive rusting, bent heat shields, loose bolts, and of course leaks :)

Cooling systems in 95% of cars are easy to flush. Drain, fill, burp, fill, burp, fill, cap.

Joe

Booze - Cooling system - Drain the fluid, replace drain cap, fill the radiator and reservoir (as applicable) to full levels via all available filling stations, start car and turn heater on high with the caps off. Allow fluid to circulate and top off as it goes down...give it about 15 minutes like this. Turn car off and let car cool. (You can usually safely stop here)....for extra protection, after car has cooled, repeat process of letting car run with caps off and heater on full blast. Top off as necessary. Cap securely.

What am I missing?

About 100 extra words & several steps.. ;)

Like I said, I understand what you're saying, but my dealership couldn't do this service properly & brakes as we've mentioned are somewhat important to get done right the first time, every time..

HOT DAMN! Did you tell them to take that quote and shove it up their asses? :lol: Do they not know the economy blows as it is? lol

that was my local dealer the dealer i got my car from subaru of georgia quoted me 950.00 but I was reading my stuff and the car was suppose to have the 60k already done so I'll be calling them tomorrow.

I was curious I bought my car with 63k on it and was told that it had all the maintance done on it and that it was a certified pre-owned subaru. I'm really starting to doubt that now as the drive belts had to be replaced 500 miles after buying and it had a oil leak when i picked it up.

Now my curious question is does a Certified Pre-Owned subaru also mean it has its most recent service?

jesus.. $950?

SoG can suck it. :lol:

you seriously drive from greenville to ATL for service?

heck no, i was just going to see how good they were since they offered the 3 month if you need anything you get a discount offer. I should have told them I didn't want to make a down payment on another car just get my car serviced :lol:

I prefer my local dealer anyways....

Check my.subaru (dot) com, if you start an account & enter your VIN, the previous owner might have an account, which will give you all the service records.

Secondly, look in the back of your car's manual. There is a chart which should be initialed for major services by the dealership (mine was for the 30k, but the second dealership didn't for the 60k)..

jeez.. I dunno what kinda driving they think we're doing....:lol:

Thank you. As I get ready to take my wife's Outback in for 15K service tomorrow, I'm looking at the dealer recommendations, which (incredibly) call for a "major tune-up" and the manual, which lists almost every driving condition as "severe." Since these cars are pretty good value (and, so I thought, cheap to run) and have a reputation for toughness (or so I thought), is this just an attempt by SoA to screw the owner after purchase and help boost dealer profits and parts sales? I mean, $900 for the 60K service? I think that's what I used to pay for my Audi A6. At least they gave me a cup of cappuccino for that money.

Archived