LegacyGT.com

How much you pay for your 60k service?

jesus.. $950?

SoG can suck it. :lol:

you seriously drive from greenville to ATL for service?

:eek:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
950 and 650 are both rather expensive. You can buy all the shit for less than 100.

And you are forgetting that you are paying for someone to do it. Want to save money, then do it yourself and save the money. If not pay someone to do it. Pretty simple.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

And you are forgetting that you are paying for someone to do it. Want to save money, then do it yourself and save the money. If not pay someone to do it. Pretty simple.

I agree, my only worry is the warranty... however if i go get all the stuff I can do it myself.... starting to think about that route. Only thing I have to check on is the spark plugs.

I agree, my only worry is the warranty... however if i go get all the stuff I can do it myself.... starting to think about that route. Only thing I have to check on is the spark plugs.

If you do the work correctly and save the receipts w/ date and mileage, you shouldn't have any issues.

If you do the work correctly and save the receipts w/ date and mileage, you shouldn't have any issues.

okay, don't happen to know any dealers with decent deals/sales of maintenance stuff do you? Looking at people on the east coast if possible to save some on shipping.

Good news. Got a buddy of mine does works at a local shop to do my car. I trust this guy like no other. I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and got quoted $600 to fix my two front ball joints. I went to AutoZone, bought both ball joints for $30 each and he did them for $100 in my driveway in less than an hour and a half. He came and looked at my Legacy today. Told me buy the stuff and he'd do it for $75. I'm quite excited lol.

okay, don't happen to know any dealers with decent deals/sales of maintenance stuff do you? Looking at people on the east coast if possible to save some on shipping.

Nope.

I work for a dealer and according to some my 60k service is too high. Granted I am a few hundred or more cheaper than the $950(which is more than my 105k timing belt valve adjustment service).

My dealer is charging $315 ($350 minus 10%-off coupon) for the 15K mile service, plus I have a loaner car. For someone like me, who doesn't have the time or skill to do my own service, that's a fair price in these parts. The prices are posted on the wall at the service desk and they're showing $350 for the 60K mile service. My coupon would have been good for that, too. I wonder why there's a difference between that and the much higher prices posted by others. I'm going to ask the service manager when I pick up the car later today. Maybe I'm missing something, like the posted prices don't include parts or fluids. Still, that shouldn't account for the big difference between this and a $900 service.

$315 is 2.5 times what we charge for that 15k service.

That 15K price sounds very high for what's an oil and filter change, rotate the tires, and check stuff. My independent Subaru shop (LIC) charges about $80 for that. But the 60K price is very low for a dealer (do they change the spark plugs as called for).

My dealer is charging $315 ($350 minus 10%-off coupon) for the 15K mile service, plus I have a loaner car. ... they're showing $350 for the 60K mile service.

my 60k mile service was $400 at the dealership. took about 3 hours. thye dropped me off at my office, which was 3 miles down the road and i drove my goverment car till it was done

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

in iraq?

(your location.)

yep. Iraq. im in the army thrid deployment(2 iraq and 1 afghanstan).

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

That 15K price sounds very high for what's an oil and filter change, rotate the tires, and check stuff. My independent Subaru shop (LIC) charges about $80 for that. But the 60K price is very low for a dealer (do they change the spark plugs as called for).

I'm not arguing that this is a bargain. However, this area has some of the highest living costs in the country, so to compare prices with locations like Richmond, VA doesn't cut it. I'm still questioning the need for all this stuff (i.e. items marked with asterisk) at this relatively low mileage, but here's what I ended up getting for $340.21, including parts, fluids and tax :

Change oil and filter

Top off fluids*

Rotate and balance tires

Check hoses, lights

Adjust fan belts*

Change transmission and differential fluids*

Check undercarriage and brakes

Engine tuneup* (replace spark plugs, clean throttle body and injectors, new air cleaner element, "valve CP contr" -- whatever that is)

Labor alone was $225. To me, this looks similar to a 60K-mile service and maybe that's why the service manager said they charge the same price at that mileage. He said $600 for a 60K service without timing belt replacement sounded nuts to him, but he has had customers who paid that much elsewhere. He again claimed all of this service was needed due to Long Island's "severe driving conditions."

For me, the bottom line is that they've promised me loaners even when my two cars are out of warranty, the place is two miles from my house, the owner comes over to say hello, I'm never going to do the work myself and, among the two independents I know and trust in my town, the cost is probably pretty close (and, of course, they don't give loaners). While some of this work may be dubious at 15K, it's still better what I used to pay at Audi, BMW, etc. and way below what I pay at Porsche (i.e., the infamous $250 oil change).

I'm not arguing that this is a bargain. However, this area has some of the highest living costs in the country, so to compare prices with locations like Richmond, VA doesn't cut it. I'm still questioning the need for all this stuff (i.e. items marked with asterisk) at this relatively low mileage, but here's what I ended up getting for $340.21, including parts, fluids and tax :

Change oil and filter

Top off fluids*

Rotate and balance tires

Check hoses, lights

Adjust fan belts*

Change transmission and differential fluids*

Check undercarriage and brakes

Engine tuneup* (replace spark plugs, clean throttle body and injectors, new air cleaner element, "valve CP contr" -- whatever that is)

Labor alone was $225. To me, this looks similar to a 60K-mile service and maybe that's why the service manager said they charge the same price at that mileage. He said $600 for a 60K service without timing belt replacement sounded nuts to him, but he has had customers who paid that much elsewhere. He again claimed all of this service was needed due to Long Island's "severe driving conditions."

For me, the bottom line is that they've promised me loaners even when my two cars are out of warranty, the place is two miles from my house, the owner comes over to say hello, I'm never going to do the work myself and, among the two independents I know and trust in my town, the cost is probably pretty close (and, of course, they don't give loaners). While some of this work may be dubious at 15K, it's still better what I used to pay at Audi, BMW, etc. and way below what I pay at Porsche (i.e., the infamous $250 oil change).

I also know that some dealers in the Northern Va area(Fairfax county is one of if not the highest place to live in the US) and some do not charge that much for a 15k.

You paid $350 discounted to $315 for a 15k.

This is what I offer for 2.5 times cheaper

Oil and filter change

Tire rotation and balance

Adjust Parking brake

Top off all fluids

Test battery and check connections

Check over entire vehicle

Now you tell me that is worth $350 because that is all you should need for a 15k service. As for the other stuff you listed, I hope they are not changing transmission fluids, spark plugs at 15k, let alone cleaning a TB and injectors(never needed unless their is a drivability problem)otherwise you are getting the shaft.

There is no way possible that anyone can tell me what you listed above is considered severe service. Not even Subaru Considers that severe service except for changing the transmission fluid at 15k depending on the condition of the fluid.

Now for a 60k the car at a minimum should get

Oil and filter

Rotate tires

Replace air filter

Replace spark plugs

Replace transmission fluid

Replace coolant and add coolant conditioner

Replace brake fluid

Adjust parking brake

In addition to the above, I also add

Cleaning battery terminals and test the battery

Add BG 44k fuel treatment to fuel tank

Balance tires with rotation.

Check over the vehicle(free)

why does brake fluid need to be replaced? I mean its a totally closed system..

the rest I understand...

I didnt think most shops had tire balancing equipment? I just had that done. I am on my 3rd set of tires, they dont need to take any action there.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I also know that some dealers in the Northern Va area(Fairfax county is one of if not the highest place to live in the US) and some do not charge that much for a 15k.

You paid $350 discounted to $315 for a 15k.

This is what I offer for 2.5 times cheaper

Oil and filter change

Tire rotation and balance

Adjust Parking brake

Top off all fluids

Test battery and check connections

Check over entire vehicle

Now you tell me that is worth $350 because that is all you should need for a 15k service. As for the other stuff you listed, I hope they are not changing transmission fluids, spark plugs at 15k, let alone cleaning a TB and injectors(never needed unless their is a drivability problem)otherwise you are getting the shaft.

There is no way possible that anyone can tell me what you listed above is considered severe service. Not even Subaru Considers that severe service except for changing the transmission fluid at 15k depending on the condition of the fluid.

Now for a 60k the car at a minimum should get

Oil and filter

Rotate tires

Replace air filter

Replace spark plugs

Replace transmission fluid

Replace coolant and add coolant conditioner

Replace brake fluid

Adjust parking brake

In addition to the above, I also add

Cleaning battery terminals and test the battery

Add BG 44k fuel treatment to fuel tank

Balance tires with rotation.

Check over the vehicle(free)

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If you look at Subaru warranty definitions for severe service, it involves almost every kind of driving. Jeez, even going back and forth to the store is severe service in Subaru's eyes. It's ridiculous. What's not ridiculous is the convenience factor for me. I mean, if you want to pay my round-trip expenses to Richmond, plus the three-figures-per hour that I make as a consultant, I'll take my car to your shop. :) Oh, and BTW, if you want go off topic about Virginia vs. New York living expenses, well, bring it on.

the rest I understand...

I didnt think most shops had tire balancing equipment? I just had that done. I am on my 3rd set of tires, they dont need to take any action there.

Brake fluid is really soaking up moisture from the atmosphere and over time more and more humidity is absorbed into the fluid. It also ages since it's exposed to oxygen and temperature variations. This makes the boiling point of the fluid drop, which is bad news for you when you need to brake. Another issue is that when it's aged it also gets aggressive to the brake components causing rust inside the calipers and master cylinder.

So replacing the brake fluid is a good idea. Best possible quality is never a bad idea.

453747.png

the rest I understand...

Brake fluid by nature is hygroscopic which means it attracts water. That is why if you leave the can open for a while, throw it away. Just because it is a seal system, doesn't mean you don't change it. An engine for the most part is a sealed system. Fluids get dirty when hot for a period of time. When they get dirty, or if their is air in it there is moisture and it can also corrode parts inside it.

I have never worked at a shop that did NOT have one.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. If you look at Subaru warranty definitions for severe service, it involves almost every kind of driving. Jeez, even going back and forth to the store is severe service in Subaru's eyes. It's ridiculous. What's not ridiculous is the convenience factor for me. I mean, if you want to pay my round-trip expenses to Richmond, plus the three-figures-per hour that I make as a consultant, I'll take my car to your shop. :) Oh, and BTW, if you want go off topic about Virginia vs. New York living expenses, well, bring it on.

I know what Subaru's severe driving conditions are. I don't want you to come to my shop, nor did I imply that. I used me as a comparison that you are paying way to much for a simple service that can be done elsewhere, even in your area for much cheaper convenient or not. Plus the fact they may be soaking you for extra work that does not need to be done even in severe service. Look at your owners manual and you will see for yourself. The most you need at 15k in severe service is an oil change, tire rotation and change transmission fluid.

Congrats on feeling the need to show how much you make, not that it is relevant to the subject. Mainly those that need to impress people bring it up. If you were a smart consultant, you would realize you are throwing money away and can save some by being frugal. But since you make a shit ton of it, I guess ignorance can overshadow that.:lol:

Again, what does this have to do with cost of living? It is a comparison of services that you are paying for, or that you may not need or paying to much for them when they can be done cheaper locally.

Here's the 15K maintenance schedule for the 2005 LGT. Your dealer added some expensive stuff to it.

MAINTENANCE DETAILS

Vehicle: 2005 LEGACY 2.5 GT LTD WAGON

Interval: 15000 miles / 15 month service

Action Description

Replace Engine oil

Replace Engine oil filter

Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Clutch operation

Inspect Steering and suspension

Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

I know what Subaru's severe driving conditions are. I don't want you to come to my shop, nor did I imply that. I used me as a comparison that you are paying way to much for a simple service that can be done elsewhere, even in your area for much cheaper convenient or not. Plus the fact they may be soaking you for extra work that does not need to be done even in severe service. Look at your owners manual and you will see for yourself. The most you need at 15k in severe service is an oil change, tire rotation and change transmission fluid.

Congrats on feeling the need to show how much you make, not that it is relevant to the subject. Mainly those that need to impress people bring it up. If you were a smart consultant, you would realize you are throwing money away and can save some by being frugal. But since you make a shit ton of it, I guess ignorance can overshadow that.:lol:

Again, what does this have to do with cost of living? It is a comparison of services that you are paying for, or that you may not need or paying to much for them when they can be done cheaper locally.

Hey, I'm sorry if you just don't get it or don't read my posts thoroughly. All dealers do this to a certain extent and I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth nickel-and-diming on this stuff. I'm guessing the two independents in my town would work on my Subaru, but -- based on other cars I've taken to them -- I'd bet the pricing wouldn't be much lower. Plus, since I don't know of any independent that provides a loaner, I could then arrange on my own for an Enterprise rental at 50 bucks a pop and sit there twiddling my thumbs as I wait for the rental agent to arrive at the shop (versus the in-and-out-in-minutes at the dealership). At this stage, I also don't have the time or inclination to try and find a reliable independent in the area that specializes in Subies. And I'm sure if I did find one, they'd be much farther away than my dealership two miles from my home. (BTW, what does your shop charge for all the work that I had done to my car, unnecessary or not? I bet when I deduct the value of the loaner, there's not that much difference. On a cost-of-living basis -- see below -- you guys are probably charging customers more than you should.)

On the cost of living issue, the average auto mechanic in my area makes $51,000-$68,000 a year. To live in his house with a mortgage in my county, he pays an average of $1900+ a month. The comparable figures in Richmond are $41,000-$55,000, with the home costing $800+ a month. My local sales tax is 8.625%, Virginia's is 5%. Gas taxes in your state are half of what they are in mine. The average price of a gallon of regular in Virginia is currently 40 cents less than it is in mine. I could go on, but anyone can understand that a dealer has to pay more and, thus, charge more in a higher-cost-of-living area.

If I was using my income to impress people, I certainly wouldn't be the type to drive a Subaru (Heard at the country club: "Here he comes in his 2.5i Limited. Wow! Look at those leather seats! He must be loaded!":lol:). I was trying to point out the value of someone's time. If I was making $25 and hour, had multiple other things to do with my time (spend it with family, earn some overtime, etc.) and, instead, had to carve out two hours of the day or more to do an oil change (go to the auto store, buy oil, filter, etc., not to mention need to clean up, dispose of waste oil), then I'm probably going to drop down to the dealer, pay his $32 and get a loaner to boot. It's not rocket science.

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to do their own service or get a bargain (assuming that it truly IS a bargain at the end of the day). More power to them. To me, I'm getting a bargain by driving a Subaru because cars like these are getting good enough that I no longer see the need to spend $10K+ more on an A4 or other luxury car. But there are a lot of reasons why people go to dealers vs. independents. Everyone's different. Maybe you'd be better off sticking to brake fluid as your area of expertise.

Archived