LegacyGT.com

Best mail order tune?? PDX? Rallitek? TDC??

AGR-LGT

Hey guys,

Ive been doing some searching trying to discover who has the best mail order tunes(in peoples opinions). My car will be Cobb DP, STI UP, Catback, and a !KN INTAKE!, so essentially stg 2 but with an intake.

Im looking to hear from everyone, as i need to purchase the Accesport, and would like to get ti from a compont with a stg 2 map(for intake) already loaded...

opinions veyr much apprecaited

05 LGT 5mt

Not sure if you already bought the intake, but if you haven't, don't. It is much easier to tune a stock intake...the aftermarket intakes require the tuner to change the intake (MAF) scaling, something that is impossible to do perfectly without a wideband.

I am not sure there is going to be much of a difference between E-tunes. They all do a better job than the cobb maps, but the most important thing is that they make more power safely.

Many off the shelf tunes are prone to knock, so please log.

there is no such thing as a GOOD mail order tune. They start off slightly less safe than a COBB OTS map, then work towards slightly more safe than a COBB OTS map after a bunch of logging sessions.

Every single one right?:rolleyes:

You are mostly right I would say.

It is definitely possible to make a tune that is more safe then a COBB OTS, right from the get-go.

It is definitely possible to make a tune that is more safe then a COBB OTS, right from the get-go.

Not without the car being there. If there was a simple fix that would work on every car that was safer than what they already had, COBB would've implemented it.

The COBB OTS maps are perfectly safe for 90 percentish of the cars out there. COBB has put hours and hours of testing into their maps... something that can't be said for the other guys, they just don't have the capital to do it.

I tried the whole E-Tune thing before.... it was cute and made me feel like I was doing good for my car. But now that I know what I know about tunning, I wouldn't do it again.

Unless you have a GOOD O2 sensor reading somewhere from the turbo back, there is no "safe" way to tune it.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Not without the car being there. If there was a simple fix that would work on every car that was safer than what they already had, COBB would've implemented it.

Your an idiot weiner, I don't think that will change.

I can take an off the shelf COBB map and make it safer, heck so could you in about 5 mins and a teenie bit of training.

FWIW a COBB OTS map knocked a fair bit on my car, but our gas up here sucks.

Let's see, take an OTS COBB map, richen up the AFRs a touch, lower target boost and WGDC a little bit, and take out about 1 degree of timing at high load. Bingo, a map that is safer then an OTS tune.

Could a tuner do this? yep. Even TDC has done it for our fuel.

So what's the overall concensus here if one can even be found? Play it safe with Cobb or play the cards with a canned Protune from Rallitek or TDC? I like the insurance that you get with Cobb's R&D but I've also heard they run into knock occasionally on some cars. I live with probably 500ft of sea level and have a good selection of gas stations locally (BP and an Exxon within 2 miles of home).

So what's the overall concensus here if one can even be found? Play it safe with Cobb or play the cards with a canned Protune from Rallitek or TDC? I like the insurance that you get with Cobb's R&D but I've also heard they run into knock occasionally on some cars. I live with probably 500ft of sea level and have a good selection of gas stations locally (BP and an Exxon within 2 miles of home).

Go to a good tuner that you trust, and yes you can do it via e-mail.

Learn how to log.

Get an OTS tune, then take a few logs, and send them to your tuner, he/she will make changes (if required) to optimize things (power wise, and safety).

Other then going to a tuner, that is your best bet, even better then a COBB OTS tune.

In fact, even if you go to a tuner, and get your car "pro-tuned" there may still be safety issues, and you car should still be logged if you want to ensure the ultimate in safety and power.

Thanks, dudes. I live about an hour and 1/2 north of Philly so I don't have any reputable tuners with about 100+ miles and I'm not gonna travel that far for tuning on an otherwise stock car. But, now I know I can pick one, discuss mods and desires, get OTS maps, log, and have it tweaked via email without the need for travel. One question though, do I need a laptop to log? I only have a desktop at home and that has Vista. I thought I read that some logging programs won't run with Vista and I'm not about to run out and buy a cheapo laptop just to tune. Well, I'm not about to go Stg1 either as work is getting slow and there is an outside chance hours could be lost....

Tuning Alliance (formerly one of the TDC tuners) currently has a special until Jan 1st the accessport for $625 with an E-tune loaded for your car http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94247&page=10 . if you're doing an intake i'd recommend AT LEAST an e-tune as the cobb maps are designed for the stock intake. so for your safest bet is an e-tune for now and then dyno tune when you can. I put on an AEM CAI so I got an E-tune with my AP from TA, then logged to make sure it was working properly, and will most likely be dyno tuned when i move to stage 2...

I think im jsut going to have the lcoal subie guys do it here. MY truck was done on the street.dyno with a wideband, but with the elgacy i am trying to take the easy way out...but by the sounds of it on this application there is no such thing.

QUESTIONS....

I haven't been under ym car since i got it and did all the fluids...Does my Cobb Downpipe have an extra o2 for a wideband? How many 02 bunges are on the factory DP? Curious wether i should get a bunge weleded on before isntall

Thanks

Do you already have an AP?

If not then buy a laptop for $600 and get MikeyD2005's stage1 map for free.

Gotta spend some time to learn how to log though.

If you already have a laptop and just need the openport cable it's only going to cost you about $160 to get started. If you need a laptop just for tuning the car you can get a really cheap used one as romraider/ecuflash don't have much in the way of system requirements.

I started out using my macbook with xp in parallels, but ended up resurrecting an older gateway tablet laptop we had laying around at work and at 1.4ghz and 512mb it's still an overkill for tuning/logging. I imagine you could get away with anything from the p3/celeron era up.

Best base map is gonna come from a tuner that uses very similar gas to what you have available, and one that communicates well.

If you have a local tuner that is reputable, support him. It is not rocket science.

I love my PDX maps. My datalogs were excellent on the very first maps sent to me. Personally I think PDX maps are the best. Also their customer service is top notch. Try to find a post where somebody says anything bad about a PDX tune......

Archived