LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT 5MT needs new clutch - general q's

Kingfisher

Does anyone have any experience with the ACT HD clutch and streetlite flywheel?

I know that the engine won't hold revs the same way when shifting gears, but an 11lb weight savings off a large, engine-speed component would greatly improve acceleration, no?

Just wondering if anyone went this route and wishes they had gone with the WRX SMFW to keep the drivability a bit more stock-like.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm also wondering about the streetlite fw in how much it effects the revs. from some reading, seems many who have gone the lwfw route wished they had gotten the wrx fw. not sure if its driveability or anything. i usually putt around town and read that its harder to shift smoothly w/ a lwfw like the streetlite. the gf has been enjoying the smooth shifting and probably wouldn't like it rough (the shifting :)). she already is dealing w/ the exhaust and intake noises as it is. then again, if its not that bad i'd like to save 10ish lbs over the wrx fw. i also read that part of the smooth shifting thing is that the revs fall much faster so you'd have to shift faster to catch the revs nicely.

i'm also wondering about the streetlite fw in how much it effects the revs. from some reading, seems many who have gone the lwfw route wished they had gotten the wrx fw. not sure if its driveability or anything. i usually putt around town and read that its harder to shift smoothly w/ a lwfw like the streetlite. the gf has been enjoying the smooth shifting and probably wouldn't like it rough (the shifting :)). she already is dealing w/ the exhaust and intake noises as it is. then again, if its not that bad i'd like to save 10ish lbs over the wrx fw. i also read that part of the smooth shifting thing is that the revs fall much faster so you'd have to shift faster to catch the revs nicely.

I've have the ACT Street Clutch and Light Weight Flywheel since Jan. 2 It was a challenge the first day or two after the install- very grabby and twitchy. This was compounded by the fact that I also installed a Cobb Short Throw Shifer at the same time. It really did feel like a different car after that! Oh, did I mention that it also started snowing during the install so the streets were kind of slick on the drive home from the install?-LOL. It was an exciting ride but certainly manageable.

Within a day or two, the clutch settled in and I became much more used to the setup. I've only stalled it once since the first day and that was due to my inattention. I've been in a couple of highway stop-and-go traffic situations since the install and it is not a big deal IMO. Witht he ACT/LWFW and Cobb STS it does feel a lot more crisp and precise- a good thing. I don'f feel like it is the least bit tempermental or twitchy. I notice I do take off from a stoplight with a little higher rev on the engine to keep things smooth (but its not much). On the plus side, it seems that my otherwise stock LGT does wind up a little more quickly when accelerating. Its hard to say though, becausee I've been driving it real easy the past few months while I saved for the clutch and install. The old clutch was really on its last leg and I had to baby it to keep it from going out completely. With the Cobb STS and new clutch, its once again fun to wind it up through the gears!

I think the OEM clutch is the weakest link on these otherwise great cars. Replacing the stock clutch and flywheel with a ACT Street and LWFW sets the foundation for other performance mods later on. That said, the whole affair cost me about $1300 for the parts and install ($1700+ with the STS, transmission and differential service that I also had done). By the way, my local dealership quoted me a price over $1800 to replace with OEM parts. I feel that I got a stronger and overall better clutch and was able to have the STS and other service included for about the same price.

Final word, It will be a little tighter than the stock clutch (which I never liked anyway). I'm happy with the setup and it is very drivable, even in stop-and -go traffic.

That's a great review. If I may share my impressions/thoughts, from someone who is on the stock clutch but thinking about the future:

I haven't read a single negative review of the WRX single mass flywheel setup. I've read a few potential negatives with the ACT HD clutch, but overall most people seem happy with it.

I've read a few negative reviews about lightweight flywheels. I think this is personal experience, but what I'll say is this: In my experience, the LGT 5-speed transmission does not want to be rushed....so I can't imagine rushing it more due to revs dropping so quickly. Maybe that behavior changes alot with a different clutch and flywheel. But I'd think I'd be shoving through gears in an effort to keep it rev-matched.

Joe

I understand your point and agree that this transmission doesn't like to be "rushed"...

However, consider the following example (from Chassis Engineering, by Herb Adams) and you will see why I am so enticed by the prospect of reducing engine-speed rotating mass.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1775/accelnc0.jpg

Archived