LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT 5MT needs new clutch - general q's

Kingfisher

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
my cars at xx tuning right now gettin a clutch and fw. i already purchased the sm fw and clutch kit from act but of course my cars one of the rare ones that comes stock with a dual mass. can it be converted to a sm by just installing the act fw and clutch? has anyone else expereinced this issue?

I'm in the same position. 41K on the car and I am told that I need a new clutch and possibly FW. I did get a fair amount of stinky clutch but at 41K that is ridiculous; the car has been driven in a few auto-X events but never abused. I just find this life span somewhat absurd. Anyway, the dealer is quoting me at 2010.00. I am not sure how to really handle this. I have suspension mods, AP1 and the Cobb STS, so no crazy power mods to really justify an aftermarket kit but the fact that the lifespan on the OEM stuff is so low....

Any thoughts or input? Anyone have any experience with IAG in MD for transmission work, ie replacing the clutch?

Kingfisher, do you have the part numbers for the OEM clutch and FW for the 2005 5MT sedan just to make sure I am looking at the right parts.

At subarugenuineparts.com, the prices are (some mentioned by KF):

218.27 for the flywheel (GT)

95.00 for the disc (GT)

129.00 for the pressure plate (GT)

Sure beats the hell out of the dealership prices. The only other thing I am confused about, and please bear with me, when a Subaru dealer says they need to replace the clutch, does that include the entire system or namely just the pressure plate?

my cars at xx tuning right now gettin a clutch and fw. i already purchased the sm fw and clutch kit from act but of course my cars one of the rare ones that comes stock with a dual mass. can it be converted to a sm by just installing the act fw and clutch? has anyone else expereinced this issue?

Your car is the same as all the rest. Nothing rare about it. Unless I've read and researched wrong, they've all got the dual mass FW. The short answer to your question is yes, you can go to SM just by installing the ACT clutch kit & flywheel.

Kingfisher, do you have the part numbers for the OEM clutch and FW for the 2005 5MT sedan just to make sure I am looking at the right parts.

At subarugenuineparts.com, the prices are (some mentioned by KF):

218.27 for the flywheel (GT)

95.00 for the disc (GT)

129.00 for the pressure plate (GT)

Sure beats the hell out of the dealership prices. The only other thing I am confused about, and please bear with me, when a Subaru dealer says they need to replace the clutch, does that include the entire system or namely just the pressure plate?

They're replacing everything. Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing. I ordered a pilot bearing and a shift fork as well since they're cheap.

I just used the drop downs on the website and all was well except for the disc. They checked my VIN and the disc was a different part number and was a few bucks more expensive ($15 I think). Total for everything but the flywheel, including the fork and the pilot bearing the shipped cost was $327.77

The only think I'm not sure about right now is the flywheel. I'm crossing my fingers that it will only need minimal resurfacing and that it's something the dealer can have done (they told me they could) without any adverse side-effects.

The disc part # was 30100AA810. I don't have the others handy but look under the transmission forum for the thread "Am I doing this wrong". The gentlemen that started that thread put in the correct part numbers, the ones I was given by the dealer.

2010 is crazy high.

If you have a few days, here are my thoughts:

Use the King of Parts (a forum member)

You can go with stock....I wouldn't recommend it.

You can go with a ACT HD Clutch....essentially the same as stock but with more capacity...paired with a WRX Flywheel (single mass, you'll lose a very small amount of flywheel weight and have a better flywheel in the process). This comes as a kit from KoP. I'd probably do this, even stock.

Here's the combo WRX Flywheel/ ACT HD clutch for less than $600: http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Legacy-GT-%2806-dsh-07/Detail

(you can probably get that shipped to you for $600 even....or very near)

...Edit: Just saw your last post. NM.

No problem. Good luck. As it stands right now, I haven't had anyone provide a better alternative to the dealer for the Austin area, so I'm going to be taking it to the dealership when the parts arrive. I expected them to be here today but they got held over in Dallas and will arrive tomorrow. So worst case scenario puts me in the shop on Thursday and back on the road by the weekend.

As for cost, they were quoting $900 (including FW) originally, and I've been given two different off the cuff numbers on labor from two different guys. One said about $450 and the other said $700+. I'm going to insist on something a tad more firm before I commit to anything.

FYI the car went under the wrench this morning. They found that I've also got a torn boot up front which I'm actually going to luck out on. Because they've already got the tranny and everything else out of the way, I wont have a bunch of labor to pay for on that later on. All I have to pay for is the boot. The quote I got this morning for the full clutch job + the boot is going to be right about $800 after tax. This is with me supplying the parts of course. So about $1100 total. Ugh.

Here's the combo WRX Flywheel/ ACT HD clutch for less than $600: http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Legacy-GT-%2806-dsh-07/Detail

(you can probably get that shipped to you for $600 even....or very near)

...Edit: Just saw your last post. NM.

ERRRR False...read more carefully:

"$215.00 OEM Subaru 06-07 WRX Flywheel Only"

"$596.93 ACT Clutch Kit"

"$780.26 ACT Clutch Kit + OEM Subaru 06-07 WRX Flywheel"

If the combo is 596.93....thats less than an OEM Clutch / Fly and would be a steal.

PRICE: $596.93

$215.00 OEM Subaru 06-07 WRX Flywheel Only

$251.42 ACT Lightened Flywheel Only

$596.93 ACT Clutch Kit

$780.26 ACT Clutch Kit + OEM Subaru 06-07 WRX Flywheel

$821.94 ACT Clutch Kit + ACT Lightened Flywheel

Retail Price: $777.25

Our Price: $596.93

You Save $180.32

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-1100/ACT-Legacy-GT-%2806-dsh-07/Detail

I need a new clutch to so is this kit all I need?

If you're still running the stock flywheel, and you want to switch to the ACT Clutch, you'll have to switch to the single-mass setup. So look at the last two prices in the list. Those are the ones you should be looking at. You're basically talking about $800 in parts. I skipped the flywheel replacement and was out $300. :) Luckily my FW was still in good shape. They finished the job yesterday, and the total tab was $700 ($800 after the cost of a CV boot replacement), not counting my $300 worth of supplied parts. The new clutch has a completely different feel. I stalled the thing in the service lane at the dealer. lol It's going to take some getting used to.

So I bought my Outback XT with 66k miles on it, and I don't know its service history, but the clutch is acting funny, it doesn't slip (yet). The clutch partially engaged at bottom 1/3 then there is a weird hard to predict middle point before it totally engaged near the top 6/8ths. Anyone experience this?

• 3 weeks later...

sooo my clutch is starting to slip when in 5th on the highway and going to pass. so its time for an upgrade, i'm pretty sure i'm going with the act HD, i'm just trying to figure out if i want the wrx flywheel or the light weight act flywheel. anyone know how this will affect my daily drivability, as this is my car's sole purpose? Also, i'm stage II.

Thanks, Nate

I should have followed up sooner. I got the LGT back 4 weeks or so back now. The replacement clutch had much different "manners" than the original. It was very "grabby" right off of the floor. I stalled the car in the service bay the very first time I went to let the clutch out. I'm talking a night/day difference. I have to completely re-learn how to drive the car. I believe that it has since settled down. I know that I've changed my technique a bit but I believe that the clutch itself has now broken in and is significantly easier to drive. I kept the stock FW btw. No issues.

^^^so glad i went with this kit. The feel is completely different than stock, but in a good way. The clutch grips much better and throttle response now feels a bit improved.

Also, my clutch was toast, the grooves in the disc were almost worn off and the clutch material was just about worn down to the rivets. I'm definately glad i decided to change it when i did (81000 miles) and for 440 bucks in labor i'm glad i paid for someone to do it, rather than by myself.

Nate

Clutch on my Wife's '05 is slipping under load. 46K miles. This is really hard to believe a car cant go 100K on a clutch. Is there any recourse to get reimbursed from SOA? She's 3 payments from paying off the car (60m loan), so technically it's out of the 3/36 warranty. I feel this could be caused by the surging/hesitating/fishbiting on acceleration thats been unable to be fixed. Any thoughts on this? Hard to believe 46K on a clutch in 2009! And yes, She's had several manual transmission cars in the past....most well over 100K and never replaced a clutch on any of them.

I had the ACT street clutch and lightweight flywheel installed on Jan. 2 @95K miles. I agree with Kingfisher- it was a different car afterwards. I also stalled the car moving it out of the parking lot- very grabby and a delicate drive home. I've gone about 600 miles on the new clutch and I'm really loving it- It has settled out a lot and it feels strong and sure and ready to go. Some people say that the lightweight flywheel can be a little twitchy, and I've noticed this sometimes at stoplights- I just rev a little higher than with the stock clutch when I take off.

Overall I really like the clutch/flywheel and I got a good price from Jeremy KOP and a first rate install from Greg at Fred Bean's Dodge in Doylestown PA.

Good luck with your clutch, you'll love the difference.

I guess we'll be going with whatever the dealer installs. Car is totally stock, and is my Wife's daily driver. Doesn't anyone else feel that it's EXTREMELY abnormal to have a clutch go at 46K miles??? I mean, it's not like we live in downtown San Francisco!

I guess we'll be going with whatever the dealer installs. Car is totally stock, and is my Wife's daily driver. Doesn't anyone else feel that it's EXTREMELY abnormal to have a clutch go at 46K miles??? I mean, it's not like we live in downtown San Francisco!

It's not abnormal if she rides the clutch and/or rests her foot ON the clutch pedal while driving around. I've seen people wear out a clutch after 10K miles with bad driving habits!

Nate

Archived