LegacyGT.com

Pontiac G8 GXP

A: if I had the money for a new car

B: the GXP comes with a manual transmission

Hell yes, I would consider it. The only thing it is missing at this point, is AWD grip.

It would probably come down to 4 cars at this point...

1: Subaru Legacy GT Spec B (6MT + AWD, and mods that I already have... like CBE, wheels, etc.)

2: Pontiac G8 GXP with (6MT, but no AWD)

3: Outgoing 08 Acura RL (AWD, but no 6MT)

4: Infiniti G37 (AWD OR 6MT, but not together)

I want to like the G8 GXP very much, but I think, with some tasteful mods, the 09 Spec B in Ruby red, or black, might still be 'teh winnar'

Unless I were to go another direction, and get a coupe, instead of a sedan, or two cheaper used cars, or a used Porsche, or something...

Fuel mileage on this car could be a deal breaker for many looking for a daily driver

Rated 16 city /20 hwy mpg, I was hoping that it would be in the mid twenties for highway mileage.

I don't know if the GXP would be a good choice for a fun or weekend car.

Definitely would consider this vehicle. I really like even the GT V8 version with the corvette's 6 speed automatic.

There isn't much about the car I don't like. It is pretty quick, handles exceptionally well (especially for the size of this vehicle), interior is nice/comfortable/quiet, and I like the look of the car.

If/when I need a bigger car over my 08 WRX, the G8 GT is definitely in the short list of replacements.

If/when I need a bigger car over my 08 WRX, the G8 GT is definitely in the short list of replacements.

The G8 GT makes more sense too me. Dunno.... Once you get over $40k, I would start having thoughts about other cars. Supposedly, the new Camaro will be getting the same engine and be in the low $30k region.

I suppose since they are the only car manufacturer in the world selling V8's that is true :lol:

Bankruptcy doesn't mean that they will disappear and never sell another car.

Well, to be specific, cheap and large pushrod V-8s that are in new cars;)

If GM goes bankrupt, who will give them money to restructure?

Its not like credit is gushing in the current economic climate. GM metioned the only have enough cash to last them to the end of December.

That not the point.... There aren't too many financial insitutions willing to hand over tens of billions of dollars to GM in the current economic climate.

GM doesn't have the cash flow to support there current operations, and don't have enough cash reserves to fund their current operations. So, its bankruptcy or sell assets to raise money. Unfortunately, there aren't to many GM business operations that would fetch a decent(and fair) price.:redface:

Or hope the jaded guberment fairy helps them out.

Fuel mileage on this car could be a deal breaker for many looking for a daily driver

Rated 16 city /20 hwy mpg, I was hoping that it would be in the mid twenties for highway mileage.

I don't know if the GXP would be a good choice for a fun or weekend car.

Not sure where you got your mpg numbers, but all the sites i see are saying 16-17mpg city and 24-27mpg freeway

Not sure where you got your mpg numbers, but all the sites i see are saying 16-17mpg city and 24-27mpg freeway

Those where the numbers(which usually are EPA) that were in posted C&D article.

C&D observed 16 mpg combined in their drive.

VEHICLE TYPE:. front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

ESTIMATED PRICE AS TESTED: $40,000 (estimated base price: $40,000)

ENGINE TYPE: pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 376 cu in, 6162cc

Power (SAE net): 415 bhp @ 5900 rpm

Torque (SAE net): 415 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 114.8 in Length: 196.1 in Width: 74.8 in Height: 57.7 in

Curb weight: 3800 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 4.7 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 11.4 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 19.3 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.2 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 13.3 sec @ 109 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 146 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 156 ft

Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city/highway driving: 14/20 mpg

C/D observed: 16 mpg

I was actually wrong, it gets 14 mpg in the city:eek:

That not the point.... There aren't too many financial insitutions willing to hand over tens of billions of dollars to GM in the current economic climate.

GM doesn't have the cash flow to support there current operations, and don't have enough cash reserves to fund their current operations. So, its bankruptcy or sell assets to raise money. Unfortunately, there aren't to many GM business operations that would fetch a decent(and fair) price.:redface:

Or hope the jaded guberment fairy helps them out.

I suspect that if there is a deal then it will require them to sell off as much non-US parts as possible.

453747.png

For 30K the G8 GT is an excellent deal. This car has a little more HP and the manual , but for 40K I would be inclined to go to another car.

Thanks- Ill take the G8 GT for 30 grand. This is a little like the 45-50,000 Mustang. Sorry too much for this type car for me.

I was actually wrong, it gets 14 mpg in the city:eek:

Im sure it will get far better than 20, and like i said many other sites are claiming 24-26mpg which sounds more accurate. I also dont see how a car that is lighter than the g8 gt with a 6 speed manual would get less mpg than the 6 speed auto. GM 6 speed manuals have always had long gears for mpg.

Too bad their timing sucks. Had this car been available when we bought our LGT in '04, I would have bought one. Ford and GM have both been capable of bringing good performance sedans to the US, they certainly have them in other markets. As usual, they screwed it up by waiting too long.

As far as price, I expect it won't take too long for this car to be discounted off the $40k sticker, given the current economy. I would seriously consider a used one a few years down the road, but by then ('08) CTS-Vs will be turning up used, and probably for not a lot more money... ;)

Too bad their timing sucks. Had this car been available when we bought our LGT in '04, I would have bought one. Ford and GM have both been capable of bringing good performance sedans to the US, they certainly have them in other markets. As usual, they screwed it up by waiting too long.

As far as price, I expect it won't take too long for this car to be discounted off the $40k sticker, given the current economy. I would seriously consider a used one a few years down the road, but by then ('08) CTS-Vs will be turning up used, and probably for not a lot more money... ;)

Dunno...

I think GM has drastically cut back production of the G8. Apparently, GM is selling only 50% of what the originally expected too. I can't imagine GM will be overstocking dealerships with a special edition car. I think the new CTS-V, will have decent resale price. The new Corvette ZR-1 and CTS-V are the best cars they make and could become very collectible cars in the new future. However, if GM does go bankrupt, you'll be able to pick many GM cars on the cheap.

I haven't driven the G8 but I hear generally positive reviews.

I dont think the CTS-v will ever be real cheap. Hell the old CTS-v with the ls6 still goes for mid to high 20s and new they were only 40-50k. This one is gonna be alot more so in 5 years they will still probably be goin for 30-40k.

Archived