LegacyGT.com

New SPT Legacy Parts

The statement of aluminum and steel strength is fairly strange.... There can be a HUGE variety of steel and aluminum compounds being used for bracing. Its not easy to say which is stronger without know the allow and the treatment type (forged, rolled, etc). Some crap steel is a lot weaker than even t6061 aluminum.

This is not to mention that the 2nd moment for the cusco brace is likely much larger for the cusco version than that of the SPT. The support this brace provides is torsional more than compression/extension, and thus the moment of the inertia is more important. This is exactly why you use an I shaped beam to support a floor, as opposed to a rectangular section beam. The larger the moment of inertia, the more bending strength you get... I'd go with cusco (depending on the two materials of course).

The statement of aluminum and steel strength is fairly strange.... There can be a HUGE variety of steel and aluminum compounds being used for bracing. Its not easy to say which is stronger without know the allow and the treatment type (forged, rolled, etc). Some crap steel is a lot weaker than even t6061 aluminum.

You are right, I was generalizing. My assumption was based on a 4140 series alloy steel versus maybe a 3003 aluminum.

I wasn't trying to say that the aluminum was stronger than the steel, just more rigid, which is generally true.

And yes, the cross section of the brace also plays a large part in it's function .

This is not to mention that the 2nd moment for the cusco brace is likely much larger for the cusco version than that of the SPT. The support this brace provides is torsional more than compression/extension, and thus the moment of the inertia is more important. This is exactly why you use an I shaped beam to support a floor, as opposed to a rectangular section beam. The larger the moment of inertia, the more bending strength you get... I'd go with cusco (depending on the two materials of course).

LOL!!!! Let me guess, you're an undergrad engineering student - right?

^^^ Is it basically the same as the COBB bushing?

I wouldn't think so because it's only listed as fitting the STI short shifter. The front shifter bushing is the same for the STI and the stock shifter.

Keep in mind that aluminum is stiffer than steel (and lighter).

Only if the steel has a MUCH thinner wall diameter.

Given the same wall thickness steel is both MUCH stiffer, MUCH stronger, and MUCH heavier.

I used to be into mountain biking. To get the same structural rigidity and strength of steel aluminum has to be at least twice as thick contributing to the rigidity of the frame.

Where aluminum saves weight is the fact that you can use twice as much and still end up with a piece that still weighs less than steel that was made with half as much material.

• 10 months later...

What's with the off-highway warning on the documentation?

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING

YOUR SOA8431120, 08 IMPREZA WRX, 08

IMPREZA WRX STI, 05-08 LEGACY 2.5GT,

06-08 LEGACY SPEC B, AND 09 FORESTER

XT SPT LOWER CHASSIS BRACE.

“This part is covered by the Parts Only Limited

Warranty for Select Genuine Subaru

Performance Parts (Labor Excluded). Parts

intended for off-highway application only. May

bring vehicle out of compliance with

safety/emissions standards. Can only be lawfully

installed by end user. See dealer for complete