LegacyGT.com

Using the Dynolicious iPhone app for the first time... cool!

Ok, so I changed jobs and they gave me this iPhone.

I read about an app called Dynolicious. In case you haven't heard of it, it uses the iPhone's built-in accelerometer and GPS capability to calculate various parameters, such as ¼ mile times, 0-60 times, lateral and longitudinal Gs, 60 ft, etc...

I researched it a bit, and found a cool vid on Youtube where a couple of guys dyno a Mini, and test the 13$ Dynolicous app vs. a Gtech.

The Dynolicous comes within a couple hundreths of seconds of the actual drag strip timeslip, within 0.1 or so mph IIRC, and within 4 whp of what the dyno read. The 125$+ G tech was like half a second off in the 1320'.

:confused:

So I downloaded it!

Anyway, I was out to pick up my daughter tonight, deserted roads, I figured I'd hit a tad over 60 and see what I could do. Hitting the ¼ mile was not safe, so I didn't.

It snowed earlier, so the asphalt was pretty cold, and I'm on winter rubbers, but I managed a 5.97 sec 0-100 km/h run (that's 5.77 to 60 mph), with a 9.4 sec @ 71.4 mph for the 1/8 mile, which translates, according to NHRA's 1.56 multiplicating factor, to a ¼ mile time of 14.67. The whp read 225 hp, which is normal for a stage 2 car I guess.

Not bad, since I never really launched my car hard, and considering the conditions.

I love this gadget!

:)

On the image below, it says «MPH» but it really is km/h. I never hit past 75 mph...

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4158/subarurun1ls2.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also use the program and it's pretty awesome. Really helps you to gauge what you're doing right and wrong. I still don't have a truly accurate 0-60 on mine. The 6speed requires that shift into 3rd and I really don't like beating on the gearbox too hard. Ive never brought myself to shift this car at full bang to get a true 0-60.

since you have purchased the Dynolicious, how does it compare to the free Pocketdyno lite?

Maybe you could d/l the free app and compare them a bit for everyone. :)

I'm seriously considering getting a new ipod touch, my old ipod has seen much better days... so kind of curious to see the difference between the $13 app that you have, and the free lite version of PocketDyno. the purchased version of pocketdyno is like $5 and has more features. but i'd assume you can get a general idea of how they compare.

I have PocketDyno+ on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch... It works great. I did the calibration on it and have gotten some really accurate times and whp figures on my car and my bro-in-law's...

I have yet to try it on my wife's spec.B, tho... I really don't want to launch or shift that car hard.

But we all know there's no need to prove spec.B. Besides, I doubt the dyno apps can handle the exponential numbers that would be required to measure the amazing speed and power of spec.B.

I have PocketDyno+ on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch... It works great. I did the calibration on it and have gotten some really accurate times and whp figures on my car and my bro-in-law's...

I have yet to try it on my wife's spec.B, tho... I really don't want to launch or shift that car hard.

But we all know there's no need to prove spec.B. Besides, I doubt the dyno apps can handle the exponential numbers that would be required to measure the amazing speed and power of spec.B.

True dat. Even though the iPhone can read up to 1325 whp (reading I got when it moved in my cupholder, giving me a 9.4 secs ¼ mile reading :lol: ), it clearly is insufficient for the Spec Bs black-hole-creating powah.

:eek:

It's version 2, which was released November 7.

Since the iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone, why not get an iPhone?

Monthly fees?

I have no idea since I'm not paying for mine. Lucky me. I paid for Dynolicous tho. :D

Since the iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone, why not get an iPhone?

Monthly fees?

I have no idea since I'm not paying for mine. Lucky me. I paid for Dynolicous tho. :D

yep. u gotta pay up the ass voice plan data plan... yikes.

car for sale. PM me!

yep. u gotta pay up the ass voice plan data plan... yikes.

Not all the bad compared to some of the competitors prices. A $30 data plan for the iPhone includes UNLIMITED data and 3G. The 2G unlimited data plan isonly $20 a month. Then you just add your voice plan onto that (mine is $40.) So I pay $70 a month for more minutes than I can use (which includes rollover!) and I get unlimited data usage and a 3G connection. Not all that bad. Some companies like Verizon offer a 50MB plan for $40! or a 5GB plan for $60 and 0.25 per additional MB.... Wow

Monthly fees?

i HATE the iphone... the ipod touch which i just bought last night, i already HATE the damn screen. so damn smudgy. I have a cover on it, but still have to wipe the thing off every time i touch it. 99% of the reason i can't stand touch screens.

<-- Crackberry user. you can't get me to change to a toy phone.

and yeah, you as a iPhone 3g user... you pay MORE than i do for same service. and when i grab my Bold in January, i'll have faster service for less than iphone users. (3.5g on bold)

$199 up front, and everyone knows that AT&T bends you over for service after that. (only for the iphone, not other phones they sell)

only thing the iphone has that is neat, the browser. but i use the net on my phone like once every 6 months.... email/text/BBmesenger all day long, web... never.

those that like the iphone... more power to you, but i can't stand it. I hate when the oils from my face get on the screen of the BB when i talk on it, the iphone... the entire screen would be filled with it.

And no, i will never use a stupid earpiece. more crap to carry around/lose, and i never liked them anyway.

i personaly hate iPods anyway... but they make/sell wired inline remotes... the ONLY way i can use any MP3 player... so iPod it is.

I keep contemplating buying this, I've known about it ever since it first came out. I have a Touch 2nd gen. I'd like to find someone that has dynoed their car and test it out to make sure my install is accurate.

Then again I'm affraid to see the dyno #s, I might be majorly disappointed :D

My Touch has been very good to me so far, I've had it for about a month and love it. It compliments my lifestyle quite nicely. I say that because it is important to realize everyone has a different daily routine so just because one person finds, say, the PSP a great thing to have, it would be 100% useless for me. The iPhone/Touch is a great device in and on itself, but it's definitely not for everyone.

Guest heightsgtltd
i HATE the iphone... the ipod touch which i just bought last night, i already HATE the damn screen. so damn smudgy. I have a cover on it, but still have to wipe the thing off every time i touch it. 99% of the reason i can't stand touch screens.

<-- Crackberry user. you can't get me to change to a toy phone.

and yeah, you as a iPhone 3g user... you pay MORE than i do for same service. and when i grab my Bold in January, i'll have faster service for less than iphone users. (3.5g on bold)

$199 up front, and everyone knows that AT&T bends you over for service after that. (only for the iphone, not other phones they sell)

only thing the iphone has that is neat, the browser. but i use the net on my phone like once every 6 months.... email/text/BBmesenger all day long, web... never.

those that like the iphone... more power to you, but i can't stand it. I hate when the oils from my face get on the screen of the BB when i talk on it, the iphone... the entire screen would be filled with it.

And no, i will never use a stupid earpiece. more crap to carry around/lose, and i never liked them anyway.

i personaly hate iPods anyway... but they make/sell wired inline remotes... the ONLY way i can use any MP3 player... so iPod it is.

You need to see someone for the anger management issues :lol:

To the OP, doesnt it require the iphone to be mounted or completely immobile to use?

Archived