LegacyGT.com

"patently unsafe symmetrical AWD"???

read this in my search for a new car...someone had asked a member whom seemed to know about engines about comparing a Subaru Forester to the Acura RDX

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f15284c/10

Replying to: redrose1 (Jun 05, 2008 1:10 pm)

No, sorry, Subaru simply doesn't warrant my attention.

Any manufacturer who touts the safety of AWD (AWD simply does not address the issue of safety) and patently UNSAFE "symetrical" AWD to boot, doesn't warrant anyone's attention IMMHO.

Compare the SH-AWD system with ANY AWD(symetrical)/FWD/F-AWD system to see the shortcoming of all these "other" systems.

Shame they fell so short in the engine compartment.

It is a hyperbole opinion! SH-AWD on the RDX simplimy add clutch packs to the rear wheels so the speeds of them can be varied on all four wheels.

As for unsafe, the real test of safety is how a car handles/responds when the driver loses control.:lol: That is why I prefer RWD!

Take the Subie out in the snow sometime and purposely over cook or over steer it, then try to recover. Better yet, do it at speed so you have lots of mass momentum. Then try it on pavement with cones , with lots of room and imagine cars on one side and trees and stonewalls on the other;)

ALL AWD cars are hard to control once the driver gets really involved in trying to regain control. There is nothing like fighting AWD, Traction control, limited slip, ABS, ETC. all trying to do their jobs,. They are great, but they can't see what I can see through the windshield:lol::lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

"Patently unsafe" without explanation, particularly in comparison with another AWD system, is nothing but name-calling. I agree with the "honda fanboy" comment.

As for the safety of AWD vs. RWD (vs. FWD, for that matter), it's really all a matter of driver skill and training. Want high-speed AWD precision? Check this out: Practice

But hold onto your hat. HPH

I don't even consider SH-AWD to be "fulltime" awd.

The rear wheels on a SH-AWD car can't sustain wheels speeds similar to the front wheels without burning up its clutch pack. When power is sent to the rear wheels in SH-AWD its sent through an "acceleration" gear which makes the overdriving "effect" on the rear wheel possible. Except if you were ever to try to send a decent sustain amount of power to the rear wheels, you would in fact driving the rear wheels faster then the front wheels. Which probably wouldn't be good on the clutch pack, especially on pavement:lol:

Especially, on the RDX and MDX version of AWD. The rear axle on those cars is overdriven at a constant 1.7%!

Rear wheel speed on those cars are dictated by the clutch packs on the drive shaft going to each wheel. Ever drive a RDX or MDX in the snow or slippery surface? You can feel the power pulse on and off as the system tries to save the rear pseudo differential/transfer case.

At least in the RL, it has a planetary gear to overdrive the rear wheels up to 5.7%.

The problem with having too much "intelligence" in the car means also that the car will hide all early warning signs from the driver making it a lot easier for the driver to exceed the physical limits.

somehow on the mdx/rdx whatevers i dont see many drivers doing that... on the way to the grocery store where all this awd tech inevitably ends up anyway.

car for sale. PM me!

The problem with having too much "intelligence" in the car means also that the car will hide all early warning signs from the driver making it a lot easier for the driver to exceed the physical limits.

That and the loose nut behind the steering wheel:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

"Patently unsafe" without explanation, particularly in comparison with another AWD system, is nothing but name-calling. I agree with the "honda fanboy" comment.

As for the safety of AWD vs. RWD (vs. FWD, for that matter), it's really all a matter of driver skill and training. Want high-speed AWD precision? Check this out: Practice

But hold onto your hat. HPH

Nice vid, but he IS (more or less) in control. No matter how much seat time you have, when you loose control, over cook, misjudge, hit sand, oil, water, ETC, how the car behaves, or you expect it to behave are the keys to either "saving" the car or taking an off road "excursion"

Racers in particular know that sometimes when you loose control, you are no longer a driver, you are just a passenger, along for the ride!;)

I'll be driving through Boca this year. Gotta Love the Boca life! I thought that Subies were banned in Boca:lol:

^^Actually, the Boca life pretty much sucks, unless you're into shopping or Botox injections. HPH

Well, I was trying to be nice. In point of fact, I hate Boca!!!!!:lol:

that vid its nuts. the car is so flat.

the thing that is helpful by knowing how to drive like that, is that you've already experienced the feeling of a car spinning/ "losing" control and have a good feel of what you need to do to make it do what you want.

the thing that is helpful by knowing how to drive like that, is that you've already experienced the feeling of a car spinning/ "losing" control and have a good feel of what you need to do to make it do what you want.

It is. And having gotten the LGT sideways a lot, I can say that this is just about the most controllable car sideways I've ever driven. Just a touch of countersteer when the tail swings out and you look like a hero.

Panic and you're screwed though, which is why the average driver probably should have ESP on this car. It is a bit too easy for the average person to get the tail out.

However, this isn't a function of an unsafe AWD system. If the car was RWD, the tail would come out even easier.

Archived