LegacyGT.com

Curry

isuace

Anybody have any good curry recipes? I think I prefer the Thai style over the Indian, but from what little I've had on both sides...I like them both.

I made some last night, and it was terrible. I definitely screwed it up. I think I used too much onion and it overpowered the whole thing.

1 Onion

1 Red Pepper

1 Green Pepper

1 can of Water Chestnuts (sliced)

1 can of light coconut milk

1 Goya Curry Rice

1 pkg Garden Veggie Tempeh

4 tbsp Patak Curry Sauce (see attached pic)

Soy Sauce

Cooking oil

1. Make Curry rice with a mix of 1-1/3 cup of water and 2/3 cup of coconut milk. Follow instructions on box (combine ingredients, boil, simmer).

2. Saute' onion, peppers, and water chestnuts with a bit of salt until lightly browned/soft.

3. Cut tempeh into cubes (roughly 1"x3") and toss in soy sauce until lightly coated.

4. Add tempeh to vegetables and stir-fry until the tempeh is light brown.

5. Add curry sauce and remaining coconut milk, stir well, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.

6. Serve curry over rice, or mix it all together. Serves ~4.

http://www.britishdelights.com/images/i11.jpg

+1 on the Pataks sauces. Every one that I have tried has been really good.

I saw this recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle and tried it. I think that it turned out very well:

Chicken, Lemongrass & Potato Curry

Serves 4-6

Adapted from "Into the Vietnamese Kitchen" by Andrea Nguyen (Ten Speed, 2006). Serve with steamed rice.

• 3 medium or 2 hefty stalks lemongrass, tough butt end, outer layers and fibrous tops removed
  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons canola or other neutral oil
  • 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
  • 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
  • 1 1/2 pounds white or red boiling potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
  • -- Handful of Asian basil leaves
  • 1 lime, in wedges

Instructions: Cut the lemongrass into 1-inch lengths, then put in a food processor and process until it is a fine, fluffy mass, about 3 minutes. Pause occasionally to scrape down the bowl. You should have about 2/3 cup. Add the ginger and onion and process until the mixture forms a paste.

Choose a large, high-sided skillet or heatproof casserole large enough to hold the chicken and potatoes in one layer. Heat the skillet or casserole over moderate heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the lemongrass paste and fry, stirring, until it is fragrant and no longer raw, 2-3 minutes. Add the curry powder and chile flakes and saute for another minute or two. Stir in the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and enough water to just cover it.

Bring liquid to a simmer, then cover and adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook 25 minutes, turning the chicken in the sauce occasionally. Add the potatoes, cover and simmer gently until they are tender when pierced, about 20 minutes longer. Turn off the heat and let stand for 30 minutes to develop flavor.

At serving time, reheat. If the sauce seems too thin, simmer uncovered until it thickens slightly; if it seems too thick, thin with water. Just before serving, stir in a handful of Asian basil. Serve with lime wedges.

Per serving: 445 calories, 26 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 27 g fat (15 g saturated), 81 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.

-- Steve

If you are going Thai than Mae Ploy Brand (found at any asian grocery) is the best.

http://importfood.com/media/cpmp1405.jpg

Super easy to use. There is even a basic recipe for green curry on this tub. From the basic you can start to tweak it based on how you like your curry. We add more lime juice, lime leafs, and more fish sauce (3 crabs is our favorite). Just add coconut milk, your favorite protein and some leafy green and done. Pour over noodles or rice...or just a thick version as a marinate for BBQ.

This is my favorite dish. Being a little biased as my heritage is from Goa India: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo

I don't have this exact recipe at home, a similar one though. I've only found 3 Indian restaurants in the Toronto area that make a good one, and one of them closed. ;-( It was the hottest (spiciest) at this placed that closed down.

Thanks guys. I've found some of the Patak sauces, but not the one shown above. I haven't found the curry powder yet either. I will have to try some more stores.

The lady that sits in the cube across from me is from the Philippines, and she made some curry last weekend and brought some in for me. It was freaking awesome. She is supposed to write down the recipe for me. If she doesn't mind, I'll post it up when I get it.

We don't have any Cost Plus's around here. There is an Indian food store not too far from me though.

Cost Plus says you do :)

I checked before I posted, but I have no idea how far this is from you.

Indian markets around here don't tend to carry stuff like that because all the self-respecting Indian women make it from scratch.

www.worldmarket.com

Colorado Springs

2985 New Center Point Colorado Springs, CO 80922

Phone: (719) 637-3537

Store Hours: 9am-9pm Monday through Saturday; 10am-7pm Sunday

-- Steve

Cost Plus says you do :)

I checked before I posted, but I have no idea how far this is from you.

Indian markets around here don't tend to carry stuff like that because all the self-respecting Indian women make it from scratch.

www.worldmarket.com

Colorado Springs

2985 New Center Point Colorado Springs, CO 80922

Phone: (719) 637-3537

Store Hours: 9am-9pm Monday through Saturday; 10am-7pm Sunday

-- Steve

I stand corrected. I had never heard of that store before, and it's only a couple miles from me :lol::lol:.

I'll try to check it out today, thanks!

Have you tried making it?

Do you live near Redmond? Incredible little Indian market called Mayuri where you can get your supplies. It's on 152nd ave and 24th street in redmond. Next door is a pretty good Indian resturant as well.

Where can I get a genuine tasty indian curry?

i wanna cook some mango curry!!

don't have any recipes, but i went to one of my fave spots in SLC last friday; Sawadee (thai) on south temple, and the yellow curry is off the charts!! so goooood. they have all types of curry on the menu, i always mean to try the others, but the yellow is so good.

if in the SLC area hit it up

here is a more direct link to Savory's site. I went the Boulder shop recently and could have bought everything in there!

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/curryblends.html

If you want to order the spices online, either go to Savoryspices.com (in denver, they have a retail store as well) or penseys.com Either one you can get a variety of good mixes.

Archived