LegacyGT.com

Cobb vs. Perrin Turbo Back

HarryD

My questions are regarding the Cobb single catted system vs. the Perrin two piece double catted system. I believe that both retain the OEM doughnut gasket with spring/bolts at the mid-pipe connection. If practical, I am leaning toward the Perrin w/ the two cats for emissions inspection. With the two 49 state approved cats I would be less likely to fail a visual inspection.

From what I have read, the Cobb would fit to the car better?

Has anyone experienced fitment issues with the fairly new(?) Perrin two piece downpipe system? I am intending on running OEM mufflers with either system along with an STI up-pipe in my 2005 LGT 5SPD.

Many thanks,

Harry

The fitment problems are with the Perrin CBE's not the DP's. The two peice system is a waste of money IMO. As far as emissions go, what state are you in?

I live in Massachusetts. I can get the Perrin pieces for about the same price as the Cobb ones. For the emissions inspection they just plug their cable into the OBDII port, but I am being cautuous in case they decide to also do a visual inspection. Also, even though they are interchangable pieces, the Cobb downpipe necks down to 2.5" but I am told that the Perrin remains 3" throughout.

I am planning to install a free flowing mid-pipe and y-pipe along with the downpipe. By installing the whole system, would I be avoiding the CBE fitment problems?

The cobb is designed to mate with the stock CBE, thus the taper to 2.5" at the doughnut flange. Are the M and Y pipes you're installing 3"? If so, I would recommend going with an Invidia 3" catted DP, they are a bit cheaper then the cobb and just as good quailty. I have the Invidia catless DP and I love it.

What EM system are you planning on running?

Both the Cobb and Perrin can mate to OEM mid-pipe, and yet the Perrin is supossed to be 3"(?) at the joint. Yes, the mid and y will be 3" (possiby Perrin, due to resonator in mid).

The tuner that I will be using works at my local Subaru dealer and will be using open source programming. This has the advantage of being warantee friendly (he just tuned a 2009 WRX before it even left the lot - brand new).

I would recommend the Invidia, that's just because I have it and really like it. It's a popular choice on this site. The Perrin DP is extremely overpriced IMO.

GL with the choice.

wow...where do you live that the dealer gives out tunes? :lol:

I think people have experienced fitment problems with the perrin DP as well. I've heard of the older perrin DPs being good but nothing really recently on the newer 2-piece version.

heard nothing but praise for the invidia DP (besides occasionally touching the wastegate arm...dunno if that's been fixed in the more recent versions, though) and the cobb DP, though you get that tapering at the end of it.

I am a bit concerned with Perrin quality and fitment. I had seen their catback system up close and personal and was not impressed with the quality especially inside the pipes with extra flange peices sticking out in the bends etc... It also weighs a ton. I currently have a greddy SP2 on my wagon and the quality is much much better and weights about 2 tons less.

There have been fitment issues with the Perrin two peice system mentioned elsewhere. I am planning on going with a shorty downpipe from most likely madad, crucial or flow, coated of course to help with heatsoak. and leave in my OEM third cat secion for visual inspection which by many accounts flows pretty well.

In MA there is no more sniffer test, and if you can find a lazy shop that just plugs your car into their OBDII scanner, and have all the needed codes disabled you should be fine.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I've already gutted the 2nd cat (first cat was eliminated by a new up pipe), and plan on either getting a shorty downpipe or a full catless down.

It's really up to you, though, if you want to 100% legal (with the exception of NOT modding your car) go with the Perrin 2 piece catted system. But the 1st cat in the down pipe will be the most restrictive and will do a lot of hurt on your power.

I'd say just keep 1 cat at the end.

Perrin 2pc DP for me was a quality piece but allignment?

I wouldn't say top-notch at all.

Very true Perrin DP plus stock exhaust = not perfect fit at all.

Problem is the beefy 3" flange from perrins DP to the crappy rolled donout gasket flange on the stock CBE. I'm using a Exhaust adapter from ebay at it works pretty well. Deff considor upgrading your mid pipe if you dont use a Cobb or invidia pipe.

From what I understand from Perrin's advertising, the new Two-Piece downpipe w/ 2 cats is supposed to be able to mate with the OEM mid-pipe. My intention is to also run a free flowing mid and Y to my OEM mufflers. My concerns are: 1) Cobb necking to 2.5" vs. Perrin remaining at 3"(?) at the doughnut gasket. 2) Perrin's history of ill-fitting components.

Perrin mid/y-pipe is a good quality, even more so the new version with v-band between midpipe and y-pipe. Not sure about mufflers, didn't care for them.

The midpipe is 3" and mates perfectly to my 3" AVO DP.

• 6 months later...
In MA there is no more sniffer test, and if you can find a lazy shop that just plugs your car into their OBDII scanner, and have all the needed codes disabled you should be fine.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I've already gutted the 2nd cat (first cat was eliminated by a new up pipe), and plan on either getting a shorty downpipe or a full catless down.

It's really up to you, though, if you want to 100% legal (with the exception of NOT modding your car) go with the Perrin 2 piece catted system. But the 1st cat in the down pipe will be the most restrictive and will do a lot of hurt on your power.

I'd say just keep 1 cat at the end.

I live in CT, I think the test is the same, I'm currently running no cats at all (how I got the car), w Cobb dp, and Perrin 3" turboback, what codes do I need and will I pass w no cats or should I install the stock DP, or MID CAT?

just installed the perrin 1 piece downpipe, its 3" all the way back to the mid pipe, and it bolted up no prob,

also there is word that its not supposed to mount properly to the spec b 6 speed tranny, mine bolted up 100% no issues even the mount

Archived