LegacyGT.com

downside to legacy GT spec B?

Killertofu

For me I wanted factory navigation and a bit nicer of a car so it was between the LGT Limited with Navi (which doomed me to the AT) and the spec.B

LGT Limited w/ AT & Navi MSRP ~$33K

spec.B MSRP ~$35K

(2009 numbers, but roughly the same as the 2008 numbers)

So I had to ask myself, was $2k worth it for the 6MT, alcantara, suspention, diff, etc.? Hell yeah!

If I wasnt interested in the 6MT, navigation, etc. then I would have had a much harder time justifying the $5.5k cost difference.

I've only seen one other car like mine on the road. I was driving my wife's car at the time and for a minute was wondering if someone stole my car before I got a look at the plates :)

Erik

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^I had the same thing happen the other day, I was in the checkout line at the grocery store, looked out the window and saw what I thought was my car leaving the parking lot...Took a few seconds of staring at the car till I realized it had GT wheels and no tint :lol:

I seriously considered it, they're nice cars and cost about $5k less then the spec.B

In the end I stayed with the spec.B for the 6MT and the extra torque.

The 3.0R Limited is not $5k less than a spec.B... With Nav they're closer to $34k ($33k and change). It's about a $1500 difference.

I did, however, consider one strongly. We bought the spec.B for my wife. I want something with an automatic and possibly smoother DD action, which a 6 cylinder would bring.

[childish racerboy statement] Too bad my current car is 4k lbs with driver and it beat a 5EAT LGT with SPT intake on the freeway... :rolleyes: Made me reconsider getting rid of it. Did I mention I stole my wife's spec.B badge for the race? [/childish racerboy statement]

:):):)

Sorry, Tord. :p

http://www.myride.com/images/vehicle/2008/Ford/taurus/oem/Taurus_58_%28400x300%29.jpg

This is always a hot topic on this board (we are at 8 pages already, granted, we got side-tracked for a while!). But as I lurk on this board quite a bit, it always seems strange to me that people like to throw around this $6-7k price difference. Yeah, I guess if you want to compare a stripped LGT with the Specb, but if you compare apples to apples, I think the specb is a better deal.

The torsen, the vdc, the nav, the suspension, the suede seats, the 18's, the 6mt, the sunroof... yeah some of that stuff you might be able to get slightly better equipment in the aftermarket arena, but this is all factory, under warranty, no hassle stuff. I am an engineer by trade and tend to be very analytical and I went to the dealer knowing that I wanted a loaded vehicle and compared the LGT limited with the options I wanted,to the specb and it was only about $1500-2k more for all that. I can't upgrade a LGT limited with the specb part for that - not even close.

But, what really puts it over the top is that it is a "special" car. I have never seen another one on the road and everyone that looks at it respects it for what it is. It is just a car that you don't see very often.

So, at the end of the day, yes, you can get similar performance from a LGT that is $7k less, but if you are looking at a LGT limited or 3.0R, the specb really looks attractive from the price standpoint if you can find one. Oh, and an important thing to remember is that most dealers hold these cars for like 120-180 days - they are not hot sellers, so they are usually pretty motivated to get them sold.

oh, and just to fuel the weight debate, http://www.web-cars.com/math/qtr_mile.html

There is no all wheel drive option, though! But, you can absolutely KNOW that when you are 100 lbs lighter, you can get to the grocery store just a little bit faster than those poor overweight specb's... but we will be arriving way cooler about 0.2 seconds later!

I think I even read something from Car & Driver saying the 6MT was slower than the 5MT because of the extra shift, so the combination of the 2 is probably enough to make it "slow"!

:hide:

I would tell anyone that if they could get a 3.0R at a reasonable cost, get one. You can add a suspension to it and 18s. And I only have a 5 AT w/ paddles in my spec B. I know you can't get a 3.0 spec B in the US, but I will say the 3.0 HP is the same as the GT, and the torque is available much lower in the power band. I have no issues with lag or heat soak from the TMIC on a GT........

Drive a 3.0 then judge it...... I know there are less mods for it, but take a look.

I would tell anyone that if they could get a 3.0R at a reasonable cost, get one. You can add a suspension to it and 18s. And I only have a 5 AT w/ paddles in my spec B. I know you can't get a 3.0 spec B in the US, but I will say the 3.0 HP is the same as the GT, and the torque is available much lower in the power band. I have no issues with lag or heat soak from the TMIC on a GT........

Drive a 3.0 then judge it...... I know there are less mods for it, but take a look.

I believe it was 5th Gear (UK TV show) that did a review/comparo of the spec.B 3.0 6MT wagon against a Volvo (V50?). The girl loved the way the 3.0 felt. It looked like a lot of fun. :)

You know, the thing that gets into people's heads is they have to have a turbo. I mean, there are a lot of good cars without a turbo. I went from a 2nd gen Acura TL to the Legacy, and I am very glad I did.

In the US, the 3.0 will get a bit of a short shrift due to no hood scoop. I say drive one and grin. I have the auto, with paddle shifters and the tranny is excellent. I don't know if the US gets the same transmission, but i like the gearing in mine.

Guest heightsgtltd

But, what really puts it over the top is that it is a "special" car. I have never seen another one on the road and everyone that looks at it respects it for what it is. It is just a car that you don't see very often.

umm.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a special car? Everyone looks at it respects it for what it is? More like, no one has a clue or even cares.

Have you seen a lot of LGT's on the road?

most people dont know what an LGT is but when they get in mine they make a lot of comments about the touch screen navi- the number plate by the shifter & the touch-nav... most of them would probably thinkthe regular LGT is nice too. I think I find anybody who sits in our really looks close @ our cars respect them for what they are... a really nice subaru

most people dont know what an LGT is but when they get in mine they make a lot of comments about the touch screen navi- the number plate by the shifter & the touch-nav... most of them would probably thinkthe regular LGT is nice too. I think I find anybody who sits in our really looks close @ our cars respect them for what they are... a really nice subaru

That is, those who actually realize it's a Subaru; but that's a different thread... :icon_roll

I think I even read something from Car & Driver saying the 6MT was slower than the 5MT because of the extra shift, so the combination of the 2 is probably enough to make it "slow"!

:hide:

just got back to reading this thread...

careful... some people here think C&D drivers are incompetent people, cause of course the astounding racers here are much faster than any published times in a "magazine"... even if it's backed up elsewhere... not in magazines...

don't believe me? post any article from C&D that show ANY other car faster than a subaru... in any situation. even if backed up by 9000 other sources, the C&D results are "biased" :lol:

as for the 6mt/5mt "speed"

i know in the end the ratios are basically the same, but i thought i read that the 6mt makes you shift to 3rd to hit 60mph? and the 5mt can do 60mph in 2nd. :confused:

I could be wrong on that though... like i said i thought i read that somewhere. could give the "feel" of being slower.

just got back to reading this thread...

careful... some people here think C&D drivers are incompetent people, cause of course the astounding racers here are much faster than any published times in a "magazine"... even if it's backed up elsewhere... not in magazines...

don't believe me? post any article from C&D that show ANY other car faster than a subaru... in any situation. even if backed up by 9000 other sources, the C&D results are "biased" :lol:

i know in the end the ratios are basically the same, but i thought i read that the 6mt makes you shift to 3rd to hit 60mph? and the 5mt can do 60mph in 2nd. :confused:

I could be wrong on that though... like i said i thought i read that somewhere. could give the "feel" of being slower.

I wonder if anyone who blasts C&D realize, as an example, that Pat Bedard (senior writer, mechanical engineering degree, worked at Chrysler, etc...) raced in the Indy 500. I only mention this because I would think someone who has raced at that level is better than anyone here who "thinks" they know all about fast cars........ Some people just don't get it....

I don't see a downside, unless the firmer suspension hurts you in some way. Or your pocketbook can't take the price hit.

Only going to comment on this piece and it's correct, I've found that I bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd at about 55-57 so technically if you're looking for 0-60 speeds you can do it faster in the 5MT because it doesnt require the extra shift.

Erik

Only going to comment on this piece and it's correct, I've found that I bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd at about 55-57 so technically if you're looking for 0-60 speeds you can do it faster in the 5MT because it doesnt require the extra shift.

Erik

Interestingly, in the owner's manual it lists the "maximum possible" speed of the 5MT in 2nd as 54 mph and the "maximum possible" speed of the 6MT in 2nd as 51 mph. Assuming by "maximum possible" they mean where you hit red line that's only a 3 mph difference.

Archived