LegacyGT.com

downside to legacy GT spec B?

Killertofu

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
everywhere i look the weight is around 3200lbs for the LGT. wikipedia lists it at like 3220lbs for the gt. is that incorrect or is that a model year/options thing?

I believe if you go to subaru.com and check it, spec b is like ~3500lb and the 5MT GT is ~3400lb

Hi Killertofu,

The weight of both the LGT and "B" are much higher than you think [the "B" is a pig at 115lb more than the LGT], and weight is a performance killer, 6-speed box or not. Neither cars are as exciting as many people here seem to imagine. I'd say are a bit better than average for a family sedan when you get higher up the rev range, but this doesn't do much for longevity or economy.

The fact that the Legacy does offer some level of performance engine coupled to a manual trans, in an oh-so practical 4 door sedan, is becoming a rarity in these days of poser flappy-paddle slush-boxes, and too many exhaust pipes.

The best thing you can do is drive both cars, on the same day. I'll bet you won't be able to discern much of a difference between the two. Then, ask yourself if it's worth spending $5K-$6K more, or less, for this difference. You could do a lot with $6K. If you’re going to finance your purchase, do the numbers for your final total costs, not some short sighted “It’s only $85 more a month” etc. With finance charges the “B” could cost a lot more than an extra $6K.

By the way, the Legacy has a pathetic glovebox, so you might wish for a portable sat nav and room for a few CDs in the cubby whole.

Cheers, Albatross.

I've owned a lot of cars and the LGT is the best one by far. Do some searching on mods. You've probably seen a lot of people talk about 2 things the most... Cobb accessport and a better downpipe. If you go '07 or newer, you don't need a new up pipe. The Cobb AP and DP will get you the powergains you want and all for under $1,000. It transforms the car. After that, you can start to look at maybe upgrading the intercooler.

And whoever said that getting 320whp will cost you $10,000 is absolutely wrong. I've seen people get there for less than $4,000 on here.

Hi Killertofu,

The weight of both the LGT and "B" are much higher than you think [the "B" is a pig at 115lb more than the LGT], and weight is a performance killer, 6-speed box or not. Neither cars are as exciting as many people here seem to imagine. I'd say are a bit better than average for a family sedan when you get higher up the rev range, but this doesn't do much for longevity or economy.

I love how ppl here are armchair racing, quibbling about a 100+ lb weight difference as if they were dealing with stripped out lightweight racers or time attack cars. Realistically, this will make near to NO DAMN DIFFERENCE to one's daily driving experience.

So whats up, does everyone here do professional trackwork/motorsports with their LGTs so every pound makes a difference on their quest for season championship points?

If not and you just drive your car back n forth everyday like normal ppl then why do ppl care so much, other than to simply war and quote with numbers. A lot of ppl on the forums need serious perspective here.

320whp is an awful lot but is very doable in these cars, your probably going to be looking at a lot of mods though, and the most expensive being a larger turbo + FMIC, your also gna have to swap out your dp/up, definaty gna have to get an accessport, new catless exhaust, and many more. It's gna be costing ya north of 10k

Baring ^that in mind, id go with the LGT, its cheaper and it sounds like you're going to be swapping all but the trasmission anyway. With that kinda power you're definatly going to have to change the suspension or at least mod it considerably spec or not. The general concensus on this site is that the spec is not worth the extra $ over the LGT.

Edit: just read that you stated 320hp not 320whp so minus the turbo and FMIC

It will be no where near $10K

You can pick up must of the parts used for cheap on NASIOC.com for cheap. I got a 20g for $300 Another $400 for rebuild, TGV deletes $80, 816 injectors $250, flow DP $75, K&N intake $175, APS intake $100, prodrive EBCS $80, XO 2 racing FMIC new $340, etc..... That is around 330whp right there for well under $2K. Have you priced these parts. ;) They have more money then knowlege over there. They are like drug addicts looking for a new high and always selling prefectly good parts and selling them cheap. But do you research and take your time. Welcome

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Ok my bad, ill put my hands up, im not a modder, just reciting what i have been told in the past.

OK.. we had enough fun at your expense. Just know what you're talking because people say stuff on here that other people take as gospel and too many "experts" are flapping their gums on stuff they know NOTHING about. About 60 seconds of searching will tell you exactly how much going stage 3 will cost.

Ok my bad, ill put my hands up, im not a modder, just reciting what i have been told in the past.

Didn't let it happen again....

j/k That what forums are for. Ask question and get to the facts. Oh yeah post pictures of my car

like this one

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/131401.jpg

I really like this one

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/005920-2.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I love how ppl here are armchair racing, quibbling about a 100+ lb weight difference as if they were dealing with stripped out lightweight racers or time attack cars. Realistically, this will make near to NO DAMN DIFFERENCE to one's daily driving experience.

So whats up, does everyone here do professional trackwork/motorsports with their LGTs so every pound makes a difference on their quest for season championship points?

If not and you just drive your car back n forth everyday like normal ppl then why do ppl care so much, other than to simply war and quote with numbers. A lot of ppl on the forums need serious perspective here.

I'd bet you any money some people would just love the "B" to come in at 115lbs less than the LGT. They could carp on about the massive performance benefits.

Look, any extra weight is a "drag". Would any of those "B" drivers be willing to add another 115lbs to their cars then, if weight is no problem? I mean, they'll never notice...Does anyone autocross with a full tank of fuel? I can certainly tell the difference when my LGT has a full tank and a trunk load of groceries from Costco.

I might add, if the extra weight makes no difference for everyday driving between the LGT and "B", where is the cost/benefit of a "B" then. If the "B" is going to be for all intents and purposes the same as an LGT, why spend the extra? This is my contention all along.

"Serious perspective"...you're kidding, right? Drag around 115 lbs for the life of any car, and do the numbers.

Have Fun,

Albatross.

I think the b is worth it to a point. auluminum spepension bits, bilstein shocks, nav and the 6spd is nice, but the real gem of the spec b is the torsen rear diff which is much better that the viscous diff the lgt has. if the 07+ spec b was availale in 05, i would have gotten it. with that said. the regualr lgt with the right mods can be every bit as good as a spec b, with money saved.

I'd bet you any money some people would just love the "B" to come in at 115lbs less than the LGT. They could carp on about the massive performance benefits.

Look, any extra weight is a "drag". Would any of those "B" drivers be willing to add another 115lbs to their cars then, if weight is no problem? I mean, they'll never notice...Does anyone autocross with a full tank of fuel? I can certainly tell the difference when my LGT has a full tank and a trunk load of groceries from Costco.

I might add, if the extra weight makes no difference for everyday driving between the LGT and "B", where is the cost/benefit of a "B" then. If the "B" is going to be for all intents and purposes the same as an LGT, why spend the extra? This is my contention all along.

"Serious perspective"...you're kidding, right? Drag around 115 lbs for the life of any car, and do the numbers.

Have Fun,

Albatross.

Blithering idiot, did you just take on the mighty edkwon?

I owned an 06 LGT and traded it in for an 08 spec b. IMHO the cars are very different in a couple of key areas. 75% percent of the reason I traded the gt was the fact that I didnt like the 5mt at all. It wasnt smooth, long shifts, hard to get into reverse, etc. Other than that I loved the gt so the specb was worth a shot. The other key difference, and nobody has mentioned this on this post yet, the tires. Both performance wise and comfort wise the 050a's are way better than the 0900's (?) on the lgt. These two things plus the bilstein suspension and the alcantra seats (absolutely awesome) make the specb feel drastically different than the gt. I was skeptical for about a month after buying the specb but everytime I drive the car now I really enjoy every aspect of the experience. So for me it was well worth it. I suggest this; drive a gt, then a specb, then drive the gt again, all in a week or so. That way you can see if the specb extras make a significant difference to you or not. Also I agree with the equation LGT + $6k in mods > Specb, but I am not a diy guy at all and the bank owns the car for a few more years. Good Luck!!!!!!!

Archived