LegacyGT.com

Best Short Shifter for 5MT??

08GTLimited

I vote Kartboy. I'm really impressed with mine. I had that Perrin adapter thingy for awhile, teh crapZors. I recently drove my buddy's bone stock 5mt OBXT. My shifter is SO much shorter and better feeling.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I have had both the Cobb on my LGT and the Kartboy on my WRX. The advantage cobb has is that it is adjustable. Both are great SS and both have great build quality. Just depends if you want to spend the extra $$ on the Cobb piece.

I have had both the Cobb on my LGT and the Kartboy on my WRX. The advantage cobb has is that it is adjustable. Both are great SS and both have great build quality. Just depends if you want to spend the extra $$ on the Cobb piece.

Good point on the adjustability of the Cobb. If you don't care about adjustment, Kartboy. If you got the money to spend, Cobb

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Maybe I am a little too OCD about sounds, and stupid stuff like that, but i've had both the cobb and the kartboy and they made too much noise. What I mean by that is transmission whine, especially when down shifting, and rattles from the shifter while in gear. I moved to an STI short shifter, and cut the length on the shifter with the STS Shorty shifter mod - by far my favorite of the 3 i've tried.

I thought that's what you meant but wanted to be sure. ;)

However, it has been observed by a few members (trying to find the thread links) that there is no difference between the stock and STi STS linkages. The difference is in the shifter rod itself. Unfortunately I'm going to have to defer to their observations as I haven't seen them side by side myself. I have seen the rods together (FWIW). STi rod on top in picture.

This makes sense since Subaru claims the only difference is the shift throw length which is what the change in shifter rod geometry would cause.

From your link to the STi STS description at subarugenuineparts.com: "The shifter is made of the same materials as the stock unit."

Cheers!

PA190002.jpg.7590e4501bc32919c8017c3e71727abc.jpg

Cobb STS, adjusted to medium throw and height (not the shortest on either), stock knob, AMSOIL 75w110 trans fluid....

Moderately crisp shifts of medium length, 0 noise when up/down shifting below 4000 rpms, smooth very any notchiness whatsoever even when fairly cold.

I'm happy. I might adjust again in the futre.

Joe

• 1 month later...
I thought that's what you meant but wanted to be sure. ;)

However, it has been observed by a few members (trying to find the thread links) that there is no difference between the stock and STi STS linkages. The difference is in the shifter rod itself. Unfortunately I'm going to have to defer to their observations as I haven't seen them side by side myself. I have seen the rods together (FWIW). STi rod on top in picture.

This makes sense since Subaru claims the only difference is the shift throw length which is what the change in shifter rod geometry would cause.

From your link to the STi STS description at subarugenuineparts.com: "The shifter is made of the same materials as the stock unit."

Cheers!

So what you're saying is that all I have to do to get an STi short shifter for my Legacy is to buy the stock STi shifter rod (pictured) itself? The linkage is a waste of money? I read somewhere (sorry, I searched but couldn't find it) that the shift rods from the factory have a rubber vibration reducing damper inside the shifter rod. Anyone know for sure on these two points?

Thanks for help.

So what you're saying is that all I have to do to get an STi short shifter for my Legacy is to buy the stock STi shifter rod (pictured) itself? The linkage is a waste of money? I read somewhere (sorry, I searched but couldn't find it) that the shift rods from the factory have a rubber vibration reducing damper inside the shifter rod. Anyone know for sure on these two points?

Thanks for help.

Having had both the STI Shifter with and without the linkage, I will say it was worth it. It's a very crisp combination. Also, OEM shifters do have a rubber surround, and it helps a lot for decreasing road and transmission noise. The cobb and kartboy had too much for my taste. You can see what I mean in the walkthrough on how to make a shorty STS.

Thanks for help.

That's what I'm saying. ;)

OP - you may need to clarify what you would consider "best". It's not quite like asking for the "best" turbo, but it's close.

Some people like a little notchiness and don't mind noise. Others want the shortest shift possible. Others are looking a good feel.

I have the kartboy and am very happy with it. I think I've heard the stock assembly likened to "rowing a rubber chicken" thats a pretty good description. The kartboy took away much of that rubbery chickenness. If it added more noise, I didn't notice. But I didn't do the bushings. Bushings may add a more positive feel, but will give more NVH.

I don't know either way about the linkage question, but I am very curious. I have the Cobb STS, which is adjustable, and the thing that limits the throw adjustment is interference between the link and the metal plate that surrounds the inner shift boot. A slight bend (or even just a divot maybe) would allow the link to be raised a bit, which would shorten the throw, which would be even cooler. I was hoping to hear that the STI linkage has a kink that allows it to clear the metal plate with a shorter throw...

That said, I'm pretty happy with the Cobb.

The factory shift lever does have some noise damping in it. It's in the thick section you see in the picture Goneskiian posted. Far as I can tell, it seem that rod that the knob attaches to is floating in a rubber sleeve. There's slightly more gearbox whine with the Cobb. And every other solid STS, I'm sure. It's no big deal IMO.

Archived