LegacyGT.com

The engine oil MUST be changed after 6 months regardless of miles on it?

For last couple months I had rarely driven the car, since I started to take the public transport.

Its almost 6 months from the last time I changed the engine oil but it only has about 1300 miles on it.

Is it neccesary to change the engine oil? I looked at the Subaru maintenence booklet and it said OCI is every 6 months or 3750 miles which ever comes first..

What harm can the engine oil ,that wasnt changed for more than 6 months with low mile on it, cause?

This is exactly my situation. I've had my car since about April and have only put 1500 miles on the car in 6 months or so.

I just swapped in some synthetic, and am hoping that will hold up a little better than dino while it sits around. I plan on changing at 3000 mi.

If anyone has any other input on this let me know.

I was thinking that maybe the property of oil changes after 6 months or sth since almost every

OCI informations I read on the web said change oil at least every 6 months.

I woud say that if your only doing 1300 miles in 6 months I see no harm in going longer then the recomended service interval.

I'll give the BITOG answer here:

Your engine accumulates moisture and other byproducts by being run infrequently. This will collect in the oil and breakdown the oil much faster than if it was in regular use. A good timeframe for a DINO (non-synthetic oil) is 6 months...it just won't hold up much longer. A good timeframe for a quality synthetic oil is 1 year.

Do some go longer? Sure. But it's cheap insurance to get it changed at that point.

Joe

P.s. Essentially, moisture and fuel will accumulate in your oil. The fuel will breakdown the oil, the moisture will turn acidic and breakdown your oil. Both of these contaminants are removed by regular driving at operating temperature...but if it's not getting that, your oil will break down even without mileage accumulation.

I have always used the German Castrol (0W30 synthetic oil) so it should be

fine up to 9 months according to the answer from BITOG.

It also said that water and fuel are removed by driving at operating temprature..

Is driving once or twice per week enough to maintain the oil at somewhat clean condition?

Nismoz - That was my answer from my extensive experience at BITOG (I'm no expert but I've done alot of reading and posting over there).

You should be fine for 9 months. As long as those once or twice a week drives are 20+ minutes long....you need to get the car nice and hot and operate it at that temperature for a little while to help clean the oil. Exposing the whole oil to nice hot temperatures to burn off fuel and water.

If you are doing that, your oil should be fine.

Joe

Thanks for the response and sharing your knowledge Joe!

Now the only thing I am wondering is if any powertrain defect occurs within this 9 month period,

will the dealer void the warranty since I passed the 6 month period written in the maintenence booklet...

BTW, how often does the Transmission and Differential oil needs to be changed? On the maintanence booklet Subaru provided, it stated to change 4yr/48000km which ever comes first.

Is it safe to change them after 4 years? I want to keep LGT for long period so I want to make sure I change all fluids correctly to improve long term reliablilty.

Archived