LegacyGT.com

Cold starting E85 in cold temps

Legend

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

happy to report i havent had hardly any cold start issues thus far

in fact its started normally 99% of the time. granted, we have had a mild winter here, only one time when the temperature was in the low teens overnight did it take about 7-8 cranks to get it started.

so far i see no need to switch back to pump gas. if it was colder i might try a block heater but havent even gotten that bad yet.

i kept an eye on the fuel trims when i knew the mix changed down to 75% E, and the worst I saw was ~6%

Is anyone else dealing with a a pretty rough idle after a warm restart? For example - if I drive 10 or 15 miles and then turn off the car for 5-10 minutes. The next time I start the already warm engine it gets pretty shakey for the first 5-10 seconds after starting - I sometimes need to blip the throttle to clear it up. after those 10 seconds - car drives normal.

This started happening as soon as I converted over to E85...

Is anyone else dealing with a a pretty rough idle after a warm restart? For example - if I drive 10 or 15 miles and then turn off the car for 5-10 minutes. The next time I start the already warm engine it gets pretty shakey for the first 5-10 seconds after starting - I sometimes need to blip the throttle to clear it up. after those 10 seconds - car drives normal.

This started happening as soon as I converted over to E85...

Yes, I've been having that issue as well, but it always clears up within the 10 seconds.

On a positive note, I left my car outside at work for 8 hours a couple weeks ago, and when I got back to my car the temp was 14 degrees. The car started first try, which was really the first low temp test I've had on E85.

• 2 years later...

Its been super cold in Denver this week. I'm running Cyrotune E85 Stage 3 tune with his most recent "Cold Start Test" parameters. My LGT sits outside all winter long. Wow. I've been starting on the 1st or 2nd crank all week, no problems at all!

This morning was -3 degrees, and I started on the first crank. Yesterday was 4 degrees, same thing, first crank started it.

No E85 cold start problems here whatsoever. :)

Found this little ditty on Romraider a while back. Helped both hot start and cold start issues. Car started no problem after sitting in 23*F weather all day. It would struggle at that temp the last few years.

"The hot restart issue can be solved, even on E85 with the Base idle Timing table and then the non AVCS Cruise top left timing value. Set the 400rpm Base Idle to 17.27, 600rpm to 16.56 and 800rpm to 15.86 then the cruise table timing needs to be 17.27."

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8131&start=210

Well, my lucky run of "no problem starts" ended over the weekend.

Last week, in the ultra-cold, it started great. But, over the last couple days in the 15 to 30 degree starts, it's been rough. My poor starter and battery! Tons of cranking before firing.

I've sent info to Dave. I am hoping he can make some adjustments. Otherwise, I might be going back to 91OCT for a few months. For sure, I'm installing the OEM block heater.

Yeah we can chat tonight as something is a miss...the car should have no issues starting in 10-30 degrees if it was firing with no problem in low single digits to negatives.

I have quite a few other customers running the same settings with no issues from 1 degree to 60-70 degrees so we have to dig in.

Talk to you soon.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Dave sent me a new map, that is work better. Also, over the past weekend I installed the OEM block heater. So, pretty much my morning E85 issues are resolved. I hope that it starts okay after sitting in the Berthoud Pass parking lot after 5 hours in the dead of winter. :)

• 1 month later...

That modified map Dave gave a month ago has been awesome for E85 cold starts. I've had absolutely no cold start issues since then. My car is normally plugged in at home in the morning on a 2 hr timer. But its been outside a few nights unplugged, and at work all day outside in some cold weather. starts every time on first or second turn.

Now if E85 would drop some more in price in line with the 91OCT's decreases we seen lately.

Glad to hear. I have had pretty good luck with most customers cars firing on first and second try down to about -4 tests where the car sat overnight thus far across the country. Some cars seem to be a little more finicky than others but most have great results.

Glad to see an alternative to supporting the oil industry year round :)

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

• 2 weeks later...

Have now tested down to about -10 pretty consistent on a few different cars. great results thus far but still have a car or two that strays from the norm and fights a little.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived