LegacyGT.com

225/45/R18 Goodyear Eagle GT's for Spec B.

mercury3545

Many of us go from 215/45R17 to 225/45R17 on stock LGT 17x7 rims, so I cannot see how 215/45R18 to 225/45R18 on 18x7 rims would be any different.

The difference is that the spec B 18s are already running a wide tire on the 215/45-18. The 215s are meant for rims that are 7"-8", the spec Bs rims are 7", so we are already running a wide tire for that narrow of a rim, the 225 is too wide IMO...it's not worth the safety risk to me.

They are offering more tires now in 215/45-18 than before. I have pirelli pzero nero M&S all-seasons for the winter time (not by any means even close to a winter tire, but a lot better than the summers!) and these tires are great, just keep the snow to a minimal.

225/45 generally lists 7" as the minimum size for every tire I've looked at. What safety risk? Give me a break.

Are you aware the 2009 WRX rides on 225/45R17 on 7x17 wheels? How unsafe!

--Lee

Check out the website:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

215s should be on a 7-8" tire. 225s should be on a 7-8.5". I don't like running such a wide tire on a 7" rim. As I said Lee, which you must have missed, IMO (in my opinion), it is unsafe. You are welcome to disagree. It is putting additional pressure on the tire and I don't like pushing the limits with such an important safety item such as tires. Also, the wrx on 225/45-17 is not an even comparison because those are a different size rim - that's what the last number stands for.

You're entitled to your opinion. When the tire manufacturers say 7 is safe by listing it as an allowable size, and Subaru sells the WRX with 225/45R17 on a 17x7 wheel (again with the the tire listed as allowable on 7-8.5 inch wheels), I think they know a fair bit more about safety than you do. After all, it is their $$$ on the line if there is a safety related lawsuit.

And yes, I do know about the third number. Thank you for that lesson. :rolleyes: My point was generally it is irrelevant for tire / wheel width combinations, and is specifically irrelevant for the WRX example since both 225/45R17 and 225/45R18 both list 7-8.5 inches for compability.

I am not arguing that 7.5 or 8 isn't preferable, but there are no safety issues with 7. A 225/45 tires on a 7 inch rim doesn't look strained in any way and doesn't have any untoward "pressure", whatever that is.

We can agree to disagree.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Check out the website:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

215s should be on a 7-8" tire. 225s should be on a 7-8.5". I don't like running such a wide tire on a 7" rim. As I said Lee, which you must have missed, IMO (in my opinion), it is unsafe. You are welcome to disagree. It is putting additional pressure on the tire and I don't like pushing the limits with such an important safety item such as tires. Also, the wrx on 225/45-17 is not an even comparison because those are a different size rim - that's what the last number stands for.

if you are within the tire manufacturers recommended width it is safe, all you sacrifice is steering response.

• 5 months later...
A little bit off topic, my 2000 Grand Am GT came with 225/50 16 x6.5. Pretty sure GM wouldn't put on too wide of a tire if it were going to be a safety issue. Handling and steering response really improved when I upgraded to 235/45 17 x7.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 1 month later...

GM and safety is a bit of an oxymoron, it wouldnt be the first time they use an unsafe tire fitment. Sorry for thread ressurection, but i just ordered some 225/45ZR18 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs for my specb and got nervous after tirerack called me about the fitment. I am running on sti pinks and with the stock re050's and I have about 2 fingers gap, so I am sure they will fit. The new tires are only like 1/3" taller.

Not sure if I will mount them this weekend or not, I might just continue to run my re050's for the next track day. They have about 3/32 left and were a little slick last time, but I need to break the new tires in before I go out and push em at the track. I'll post pics when they are mounted.

• 1 year later...
I was looking into getting 225/40s for my next set of 18" wheels for some time....... after doing enough reading and researchin on diameter, comfort and wheel well looks... 225/45s is what is best off for diameter for your speedo, less "bump" feeling/comfort, and also give a slight better protection on your wheels and looks of the wheel well gaps seam to look way better even though its not a huge difference in the 2 tires. So 225/45s is what am going with!

Archived