LegacyGT.com

Clutch slipping like no other

SubieBoxer

original owner?

warranty on it?

take it into a shop and have them look at it to see what's going on.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

+1

If it has less than 36K miles and it's not past the 3 year mark(it was sold new in late 05) then the dealer should cover it under warranty once. It's a common thing on these cars. The clutch is the weak link in the drivetrain and can be burnt up pretty quick if the driver abuses it or just plain can't drive a clutch.

Let's kick this pig!

probably fried by previous owner if he's second owner.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Made and sold on date are two different things.

Try the dealer, good luck.

If you need a clutch call Spec Clutch and ask for Danny Smith, tell him Byron sent you. He'll help you out.

http://www.specclutch.com/

You may need a flywheel too.

If you not looking for a lot of performance a stage 2 clutch should be more then enough.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If Subaru gives you one for free, take it all the way. If you do anything more than regular driving on the street, the clutch cant handle it. But anything more than stock power or if your street/drag racing at all it wont last long. As you should obviously see for yourself now with the car that you have.

If you have to pay for one get a Spec or an ACT. I have had both. I would say that I like either one.

There are enough people with 40k on a stock clutch running Stage 2 that I believe it's mostly just driving. I've noticed ALOT of Subaru enthusiasts will rev the f out of their cars as they let the clutch out slowly to get that nice slingshot away from a stop without any of the inherent roughness of our drivetrains. Feeels great pulling away, even sounds good....hell on the clutch though. And that's not dropping or launching.

OP - You just bought the car from a Subaru dealership? Take it back and demand it's replacement warrantied, since they sold an abused car. If they won't cover it after you fight for it, ask for free installation if you cover the parts (or vice versa, you pay installation if they cover the parts).

The stock clutch is fine....but the stock flywheel is kinda a pain. If you want to go aftermarket, go with a ACT or Exedy full face organic clutch (i.e. Stage 1 clutch) and a WRX flywheel. Simplifies things, a bit more expensive than OEM, and provides you with alot more capacity in the event you want to modify things later on. If you don't intend to modify, go OEM.

My .02

Joe

I have 40K on my car now with 12K of that making 355 whp anf 14K before that was at Stage 2. The clutch is just now slipping in 4th gear but I have had the new clutch setup for a year now. Just never put it in because the stock clutch was working fine until recently.

There are enough people with 40k on a stock clutch running Stage 2 that I believe it's mostly just driving. I've noticed ALOT of Subaru enthusiasts will rev the f out of their cars as they let the clutch out slowly to get that nice slingshot away from a stop without any of the inherent roughness of our drivetrains. Feeels great pulling away, even sounds good....hell on the clutch though. And that's not dropping or launching.

I'm in the midst of a stock clutch failure too (at less than 17k miles). I'll typically rev up to ~1500-2000rpms when I'm starting off in first. I may have conditioned myself to do that when I was nervous about stalling the car - the LGT was my first manual transmission car (I had previously driven manual trucks).

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived