LegacyGT.com

so when is subaru gonna reimburse us?

maybe its because you haven't spent over 1500 dollars on boots/axles over the last 7 years that you cant really comprehend what i am saying. money doesnt grow on trees and what would take an engineer a day to fix would save people hundreds of dollars.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe its because you haven't spent over 1500 dollars on boots/axles over the last 7 years that you cant really comprehend what i am saying. money doesnt grow on trees and what would take an engineer a day to fix would save people hundreds of dollars.

So because I haven't spent any money on them, yet my facts in dealing with my customer's cars and experience with them(obviously in the automotive business I have seen more of them) doesn't count? I comprehended what you said just fine. Surely you can come up with a better argument for that.

this i know. im stating that on other cars the exhaust does not hang directly over the boot. go look now. the passenger side boot is littler 2-3 inches away from the pipe. your telling me that after 20 years of making boxer engines that they can not redesign this. simply moving the exhaust over a few inches would add thousands of miles to the boots life. yes other cars have boots that go bad but none of them have an exhaust pipe sitting directly above it.

I don't need to look, I know what is under there. Honestly, of the thousands of customers I come in contact with over the years, you are the first to really complain about it. There are far other concerns to get worked up over. If this is, then you really need to look at your vehicle selection choices before purchasing them.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

this i know. im stating that on other cars the exhaust does not hang directly over the boot. go look now. the passenger side boot is littler 2-3 inches away from the pipe. your telling me that after 20 years of making boxer engines that they can not redesign this. simply moving the exhaust over a few inches would add thousands of miles to the boots life. yes other cars have boots that go bad but none of them have an exhaust pipe sitting directly above it.

Methinks the phrase "inherent in the design of a boxer motor" precludes much of a redesign unless Subaru reinvents rubber.

people complain about it to me all the time. maybe they dont to you. i suck it up like everyone else and pay out. i dont make my vehicle selections based upon axles....i just would have thought that after 20 years the problem would have been fixed even though it only seems to happen to me. it also seems kinda wierd that the passenger side axles were on back order. im in the service tech field and when something is backordered it usually means there is an issue with that particular part

Guest Gitster

Im just not sure how you fix a wear and tear part? Sand, dirt, rocks, and aggressive driving wear down on these boots causing the CVs to feel the pain.

Theyre cheap to manufacture and not super difficult on labor, so no car manufacturer has put R&D into "the perfect CV boot."

people complain about it to me all the time. maybe they dont to you. i suck it up like everyone else and pay out. i dont make my vehicle selections based upon axles....i just would have thought that after 20 years the problem would have been fixed even though it only seems to happen to me. it also seems kinda wierd that the passenger side axles were on back order. im in the service tech field and when something is backordered it usually means there is an issue with that particular part

:lol: People bring their cars to us and complain about their cars every single day. Then again, who really takes a car in to service to just say I love it, nothing is wrong, and thanks. Granted, I have been in this business for a short 6 years. The fact remains is until rubber is redesigned to withstand heat and the elements a fwd/awd car will always have this issue. Yes other's may have a more prominent problem, than some.

Just because there is a backorder, doesn't mean there is a particular problem with that part. It means that there is a shortage in supply or the main warehouses are out of them. Then again, I have never ran into an axle that was on backorder either.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Silicon based rubber is more resistant to heat, but it's a question of cost.

Just watch the boot, it's easy to inspect and make sure that the joint is re-lubricated when the boot is changed to get fresh grease into the joint and get rid of possible dirt and you will at least have saved the joint.

Only thing with that job is that it is - greasy...

453747.png

Isn't there some type of grease or lubricant we can rubber on our rubbers to make them last longer ?

I wonder if the people with this problem let there car idle longer then most. That would cause more heat in that area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok, My wife and I have owned 7 subaru's ranging from an 83 GL sedan to a 06 LGT. I have replaced 2, count them 2 for pre-failure. Yes, i had to replace 2 more because they one was installed backwards by a crapy shop (called subaru's only, you would think that they would know what the hell they were doing), this was on a 90 legacy L FWD. On each car, we put on more than 100K each (except for the current ones obvously as well as the Baja) and all have been trouble free.

Had to do 1 on the 90L and 1 on the 98 Forester L. Didn't once on the 83GL sedan, 85RX twin turbo Sedan (not the coupe), not on the 04 Baja T, and not so far on the 04 Forester XT and 06 LGT.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

~$17/mo for a known wear and tear part isn't all that bad. Within my immediate family none of the Subarus have had CV issues, but the Hondas have had multiple replacements.

What I'm not understanding is how quickly you are chewing through axles themselves.

If you catch a torn boot soon enough (and I suspect you check often due to your consistent issue) Just repacking it with grease and putting a new boot on it should expand the life of the joints dramatically.

I currently have a torn boot in the rear, on my 91SS, but I suspect that is just due to age, as it appears original. I've only had one other rip before, and that was on a Legacy which had well over 200k miles on it.

Some shops will not replace axle boots. They replace the entire thing. I am not sure if that is going on with the OP or not. We replace just the boot if we catch it in time. I have worked for smaller shop that replace the axle and be done with it.

Archived