LegacyGT.com

so when is subaru gonna reimburse us?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for the crappy design of the passenger side drive axle. this is my fourth subaru and my 6th axle that has gone prematurely because of the exhaust pipe over the cv boot. i wish i was a letter writer.

Sounds like you are too stupid to move on with your car choice; you should reimburse society for us putting up with your stupidity :)

Guest Gitster

How's Southington? I used to ski there 3-5 days a week in my youth. Pathetic little mountain but it was close to home (Darien)!

Lets see, Carl Pavano, Rob Dibble. Bunch of losers :lol:

63k miles and no problems yet on my 05 LGT.

How's Southington? I used to ski there 3-5 days a week in my youth. Pathetic little mountain but it was close to home (Darien)!

yeah i don't ski but it is a very small mountain. i have a timeshare in the Berkshires across from jimney peak if i ever decide to start skiing. mine went at 74k miles. probably doesnt help that i have a 3 inch DP sitting directly over it

Sounds like you are too stupid to move on with your car choice; you should reimburse society for us putting up with your stupidity :)

dont worry it will happen to you soon(if you even own a subaru) and you will be on here complaining. its an obvious design flaw thats been around for years(at least since my 91 legacy). im sorry for speaking my mind and actually hoping it gets fixed. you must work for the axle manufacturer. yes we are catching on.

dont worry it will happen to you soon(if you even own a subaru) and you will be on here complaining. its an obvious design flaw thats been around for years(at least since my 91 legacy). im sorry for speaking my mind and actually hoping it gets fixed. you must work for the axle manufacturer. yes we are catching on.

Odd, I haven't seen any customers with faulty axles to where they have had to be replaced more than once.:confused:

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

yeah you replace it once at 70k and then by the time it goes again your in a new vehicle. my forester had 2 go both on the passenger side it had 155k miles on it. the axles themselves are not faulty but the design of the car causes them to fail a lot sooner than they should. i dont think i have had to replace and axle on my maxima and it had 200k miles on it. of course it was also the only part on that car i didnt replace ;)

yeah you replace it once at 70k and then by the time it goes again your in a new vehicle. my forester had 2 go both on the passenger side it had 155k miles on it

Again, I haven't seen any faulty axles to where they have to be replaced over and over.

Not sure if you are referring to that or possibly this.

I have seen axle boots split over the span of 70-90k due to the boot material cracking due to heat and being dry over time. However, that is not a Subaru issue, that is a FWD/AWD issue as i have seen just about every manufacturer from Honda, Saturn,GM,Toyota, Subaru, etc have axle boots that crack, then split over time due to the fact they will dry out.

If you don't want to deal with that anymore, buy a RWD vehicle and problem will be solved:)

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

yeah a subaru owner based.

Then go buy a Honda so it can be a Honda owner based.

for the crappy design of the passenger side drive axle. this is my fourth subaru and my 6th axle that has gone prematurely because of the exhaust pipe over the cv boot. i wish i was a letter writer.

Since that is a known problem I suggest that the best approach is to check the inner CV boot relatively frequently.

And that problem has existed at least since the 1982 MY...

Not that I have had any major issues with that, but the right side inner CV joint is likely to be the first one that's going toast if you have normal driving style.

But I rather take this problem than a lot of other problems since this is a problem with a relatively low frequency.

453747.png

Again, I haven't seen any faulty axles to where they have to be replaced over and over.

Not sure if you are referring to that or possibly this.

I have seen axle boots split over the span of 70-90k due to the boot material cracking due to heat and being dry over time. However, that is not a Subaru issue, that is a FWD/AWD issue as i have seen just about every manufacturer from Honda, Saturn,GM,Toyota, Subaru, etc have axle boots that crack, then split over time due to the fact they will dry out.

If you don't want to deal with that anymore, buy a RWD vehicle and problem will be solved:)

well yes in theory all boots will eventually fail but i haven't been able to get more than 60-70 out of the passenger side axle on any subaru ive owned. same goes for all my friends and family members who own them. maybe its the northeast climate...i dont know. all i know is i can claim 7 people off the of my head in my state who have replaced passenger side axles with under 70k miles. i also drive way more than the average person on this site. usually around 200 miles a day so that may be a factor also. any i dont see any reason why rc0032 needs to be such a f-in cockbag. if you have nothing good to add than shut the hell up. i really dont care about your opinion

actually you put aftermarket parts on your car then bitch when something goes wrong? really? Go back to post #3 where I called you stupid :)

funny ive only used subaru axles and all of my other subarus were completely stock except this one. im sure my 50 year old friend with the 2000 legacy and 3 replaced passenger side axles must have surely modded his car too.

Since that is a known problem I suggest that the best approach is to check the inner CV boot relatively frequently.

And that problem has existed at least since the 1982 MY...

Not that I have had any major issues with that, but the right side inner CV joint is likely to be the first one that's going toast if you have normal driving style.

But I rather take this problem than a lot of other problems since this is a problem with a relatively low frequency.

i usually check it every 6 months. only reason i noticed it this time was because the grease was flying out and burning up on the turbo causing smoke to pour out of the hood scoop

well yes in theory all boots will eventually fail but i haven't been able to get more than 60-70 out of the passenger side axle on any subaru ive owned. same goes for all my friends and family members who own them. maybe its the northeast climate...i dont know. all i know is i can claim 7 people off the of my head in my state who have replaced passenger side axles with under 70k miles. i also drive way more than the average person on this site. usually around 200 miles a day so that may be a factor also. any i dont see any reason why rc0032 needs to be such a f-in cockbag. if you have nothing good to add than shut the hell up. i really dont care about your opinion

Well you have to take a few things into consideration. The rears never wear out, ever. Why do you think that is so?

The fact that the axle boot sits below the exhaust and engine, so heat will significantly decrease its life. After all it is rubber.

The fact that it is always spinning at speed.

You live in the northeast and the road conditions during the winters adding to the other conditions listed above can decrease the life.

All of these have and will cause an axle boot to wear out on any vehicle that is a FWD or AWD(in the front). Subaru is not the only car to have this. I have seen this on several FWD and AWD vehicles overtime.

Well you have to take a few things into consideration. The rears never wear out, ever. Why do you think that is so?

The fact that the axle boot sits below the exhaust and engine, so heat will significantly decrease its life. After all it is rubber.

The fact that it is always spinning at speed.

You live in the northeast and the road conditions during the winters adding to the other conditions listed above can decrease the life.

All of these have and will cause an axle boot to wear out on any vehicle that is a FWD or AWD(in the front). Subaru is not the only car to have this. I have seen this on several FWD and AWD vehicles overtime.

this i know. im stating that on other cars the exhaust does not hang directly over the boot. go look now. the passenger side boot is littler 2-3 inches away from the pipe. your telling me that after 20 years of making boxer engines that they can not redesign this. simply moving the exhaust over a few inches would add thousands of miles to the boots life. yes other cars have boots that go bad but none of them have an exhaust pipe sitting directly above it.

Archived