LegacyGT.com

What to upgrade first?

I'm about to do the first round of upgrades on my completely stock '05 LGT. Looking to spend about $500-$700. Not going to change tires just yet, and already planning to do a muffler delete.

As far as what I want to do with it. I'm getting into autocross and road course racing, but I'd also like to eventually smoke the local built mustangs in straight lines too. The only issue I have with the stock setup is the understeer I experience on the autocross course.

This will be the first of many rounds of upgrades for the car. My questions is, where is my money best spent for initial upgrades?

I always say cold air intake as it usually results in more power and better gas mileage....course I'm use to N/A vehicles.

Absolutely do not bother with an intake on the Legacy unless you plan on making mad power right away - meaning you are going to install all the shit to make lots of power right away.

You should search - there are plenty of threads like that. But it will be either

1) Tires (from the awful RE92s)

2) Brake pads

3) Sway Bar

4) Cobb Accessport

really depends on where you want a little improvement. For your money you could do sway bar and source out a used Version 1 Accessport. I would buy the Accessport used - as long as you buy it for the right car (they are model and year specific) and no you do not need a fancy new one...and I suppose the sway bar (JDM 20mm) get it used as well. See the classified section on the forum.

I'm about to do the first round of upgrades on my completely stock '05 LGT. Looking to spend about $500-$700. Not going to change tires just yet, and already planning to do a muffler delete.

As far as what I want to do with it. I'm getting into autocross and road course racing, but I'd also like to eventually smoke the local built mustangs in straight lines too. The only issue I have with the stock setup is the understeer I experience on the autocross course.

This will be the first of many rounds of upgrades for the car. My questions is, where is my money best spent for initial upgrades?

It is not gonna happen unless you call "smoking" the first 30 meters or it is raining/snowing or you get into maaaaad power mods.

500-700 is not enough for a tire/wheel combo. in which case he'd be replacing his stock tires with another stock width tire.

i say... get an AP. then save up for a wheel tire combo. get some decent wide tires.

car for sale. PM me!

I second the track day class. :cool:

AccessPort is the current lovechild mod of the Subaru turbo community. It's the new Kartboy. :D I agree with that one.

Suspension is always good of course... This kit looks nice, lots of people here like it. I'll probably go that route, along with Racecomp Engineering's "Regular Guy" springs that they're working on.

http://www.5-starperformance.com/servlet/the-987/Bilstein-Legacy-GT-Suspension/Detail

if 500-700 is your limit....I'd do the AP for added pep and a little better gas mileage.

If you plan to do more mods down the road and this is step 1. Get some good tires. You can sell what is on the car now. I got $100 for used RE92's.

If this is your big issue...no brainer!! Rear sway bar:) I have a Whiteline adjustable on the rear and have had the front camber set at -1.5*....handles great....neutral going to mild oversteer....you don't get much for the money you mention but a used AP would be a good start.:cool:

tires first, (and if you want to slap on some rims, that would be good too), then suspension and brakes.. then power...

+1..

Tires, RSB, springs &/or struts, stg 1 (COBB AP) w/ UP, brakes, stg 2..

Brake Pads - the OEM brakes are horrible. I'd respectfully disagree with scoobydoobie; I have the Hawk HPS and they're lame. Barely better than stock. Find a good pad - one YOU like, regardless.

OpenSource tune - Mickeyd's stage1 tune. Cost you about $100 for a Tactrix cable.

After pads and Tune you'll have $500 left.

Tires. If you get wider tires you might actually reduce your contact patch (front to back, not side to side). Get the stickiest tire you can - I'd say Falken Azensis 615s. I've used them on track days for my past two cars and they're traction is top-notch for the money...at the cost of longevity, however. Figure $140/each. Something like that.

If you don't get tires - I'd say sway bars as LGT body roll in stock trim, is horrible. Get something to help the car feel tied down, and you likely will be able to drive it faster; due to more confidence.

Take the rest and do a Performance Driving Day.

:)

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Tractrix cable-100, gutted up/dp-30 for gaskets, stage 2 tune, you can buy some from some people for about 75-100. Sway bars and pads and possibly rotors. Then save up for some tires and you got the beginnings of a good street/track car. 2 stage 2 i can take most stock/bolt on fox bodys and 94-04 mustang Gts. 05+ with a good driver is a good race for a stage 2 legacy.

Well to get started, I have decided to get a Cobb RSB. I'll try that and then decide if I want to get the FSB too. Next thing I wanna do brakes. What's my best route here? While I do wanna autox, but I don't want brakes that I have to heat up before I can use them on the way to work. What can $200-300 get me in the way of brakes? (Preferably closer to 200)

Just get good pads. I highly suggest Axis Ulltimates for light track/autoX use and daily driving. They're dusty...but they are VERY good. :)
SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Archived