LegacyGT.com

OMG They Keep Getting Heavier! - LGT Model Year & Trim Differences

cyniclaus

Maybe its not safety, maybe there's a stronger gravitational pull here in the states. Its not just the cars that are getting heavier. http://tristatetuners.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_screwy.gif
Braille B2015, RBS grill, Borla CBE, Zero/Sports rad shroud, Hayden TC, Group A crank & alt pulley - Mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i read somewhere that the 08' LGTs got reinforced A pillars. maybe thats some of the weight too.

Also the 05' didnt get 5 stars on side crash i think it was, in 06+ model they fixed it and got 5 stars.

Spec B has more bolstered seats than the GT and exclusive to '06 comes in Titanium Silver w/Brick red interior and limited to 500 units, '07+ Specs are regualr production models. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Negative.

Negative.

So it has the exact same seats as the GT aside from the color? 2 different Spec B owners told me they were more supportive seats than the GTs.

Braille B2015, RBS grill, Borla CBE, Zero/Sports rad shroud, Hayden TC, Group A crank & alt pulley - Mike

So it has the exact same seats as the GT aside from the color? 2 different Spec B owners told me they were more supportive seats than the GTs.

Spec B owners also believe their engines are cherry picked.

The LGT is not a Spec B & never can be compared. The tranny in the LGT is crap (outdated 5 speed) while the Spec B has a bullet proof STI 6 speed. Either car's clutch will burn out if you launch the car like a RRW or FWD. To much power for AWD to deal with with stessing the clutch. The nav CDs can be changed when changed like all factory nav systems. Just got new CDs in my Porsche. I agree that the new Spec B is a porker vs. the '05 GT but with mods & a tune you've got a racing machine. I have 347 lb. ft @3000 RPMs at the wheels with the stock turbo! Get equal length headers, a larger TMIC, a Cobb downpipe, a cat back exhaust, larger uppipe w/o cat & a Protune and you have a car that smokes a BMW 335 or stock STI. The BMW 335 or M3 or Audi S4 are no light weights either. Also the suspension in the LGT can't compare to the LGT. The extra weight is in the tranny & suspension. They make for a better driving vehicle. I've owned both. They race Spec B's. The Spec should come with Brembo's like the STI, my only complaint aside from the poor mileage. The tune did improve my mileage.:cool:

^^^^funny, because I look at a spec B like a waste of money when compared to a LGT. Take the $5000-$6000 dollar premium and I can buy a lot of aftermarket goodies, and it will rape a spec B.

I will admit the 6 speed is nice, but as posted by others it can be broken.

Sorry U R wrong. The Spec B seats have faux suede inserts. Not 'better seats' like in the STI, but certainly more upscale than the LGT. As a runner, I preferred my LGT seats as they were all perferated leather and I'm afraid I'll stain the faux suede with sweat.

Aside from the negative posts, I own a tuned Porsche Boxster, BMW330cic and OBGT AT (3 big dogs will travel). The handing of the LGT left much to be desired. Even with Cusco sway bars and strut bar, it was marginal as far as handling.

With the 18" stock wheels and sticky OEM tires with the Billstein STI type suspension w/ inverted struts, there is no comparison with with LGT as far a handling. Wider wheels/tires would make the ride even better. (I did put the LGT Cusco parts on the Spec B.) Next to the Porsche both suck. Those 18's are very wide. Car sticks to the road like on rails.

However, my Legacy is for winter driving. It like that it's not lowered like an STI which gets damaged often even when unloaded upon delivery because it's too low on the new model. I need some hight for the snow, as the Spec B is my winter car. I lay up both the Boxster & BMW Cabrio winters. The OBXT is best in snow as it has 17s on Dunlap M3s in winter. My Spec B has 18s, so its not as good in snow. Luckily the stock wheels are 18x7s so they aren't very wide. Wide isn't great in snow.

Now that my Spec B is tuned I love driving it. With all my aftermarket bolt ons the TDC 'e-mail tune' was just HORRIBLE. Besides throwing CELs often it made the car run too lean and just drive choppy as hell. They were a disaster as far as their maps. If they tuned my car on their dyno, I'm sure the map would have been much better.

Hated the ride. My wife called the car 'Whiplash' and wouln't drive in the car. Now it's smooth as silk and fast if needed. Tune took 4 hours on the dyno. Protuning by Precision Tunning in Lakewood NJ was amazing. Worth my 2 hour drive due to the Nav giving me a bad route.

The Spec B just feels more like my last Audi. Solid and well built. The LGT didn't feel like a higher end car. Did look great with the painted aftermarket spoiler and old style Spec B wheels and quad catback. I use these wheels for my summer tires (drive the Spec B summers in the rain, otherwise top goes down in my Boxster), the new style Spec B wheels for my snow tires.

I traded the LGT with my old snows on 17" ASA J3 rims as they wouln't fit the Spec B. Kept the original style Spec B 18's for my sticky summer tires.

The new Spec B rims have a thin paint job. I've complained to Subaru. They use a cheap process. Had one repainted yesterday. My dealer scratched them mounting or unmounting the snow tires I returned to the Tire Rack because they were terrible in snow & on ice. Have Michl. X Ice tires on their way. The Italian snow tires are no beter than all seasons. Slid alll over in snow. Don't want to slander the brand but their Zero Nero's have sidewall bubbling problems big time on 18s. On my last Audi I was ordering them frequently. The new owner has the same problem. He's bought many for the BBS VZ rims. Pretty looking money pit.

i think for a daily driving car the weight is of an insignificant amount. if your really concerned about weight that much juts take out all your seats accept your drivers, your Air conditioning, radio, spare tire, trunk liner, all the liners on the doors, replace glass with Plexiglases or netting, get some lighter wheels, and make sure you poop before you drive to work in the morning that could easily be a 1lb savings if you drink some coffee before you go...

The LGT is not a Spec B & never can be compared. The tranny in the LGT is crap (outdated 5 speed) while the Spec B has a bullet proof STI 6 speed. Either car's clutch will burn out if you launch the car like a RRW or FWD. To much power for AWD to deal with with stessing the clutch. The nav CDs can be changed when changed like all factory nav systems. Just got new CDs in my Porsche. I agree that the new Spec B is a porker vs. the '05 GT but with mods & a tune you've got a racing machine. I have 347 lb. ft @3000 RPMs at the wheels with the stock turbo! Get equal length headers, a larger TMIC, a Cobb downpipe, a cat back exhaust, larger uppipe w/o cat & a Protune and you have a car that smokes a BMW 335 or stock STI. The BMW 335 or M3 or Audi S4 are no light weights either. Also the suspension in the LGT can't compare to the LGT. The extra weight is in the tranny & suspension. They make for a better driving vehicle. I've owned both. They race Spec B's. The Spec should come with Brembo's like the STI, my only complaint aside from the poor mileage. The tune did improve my mileage.:cool:

They race 05 wagons TOO;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXSQLylSy4]YouTube - Subaru LGT vs. LGT[/ame]

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Saw the Subaru '05 LGY Wagon ALL MODED OUT at car show in Philly 2 years ago. Shocked it retained stock brakes. Says allot for the stock brakes if they race it! Saw it was ECUTUNED, not Cobb. Nice ride. Don't think it would be much competition for a sedan as far as handling. Shame LGT wagon MT only lasted one year.

I sold my old Cobb Acessport to a MT LGT Wagon owner & flashed it for him. What a difference after the flash even in stage 1.

Don't think it would be much competition for a sedan as far as handling.

:orly: I thought wagons were stiffer than sedans cuz they have a D pillar.

The LGT is not a Spec B & never can be compared.

You are an idiot like Vimy was. That statement qualifies you.

The tranny in the LGT is crap (outdated 5 speed) while the Spec B has a bullet proof STI 6 speed.

LGT 5 speed is a very compentent transmission. It's JDM STI 5-speed tranny actually. Many push a lot of power thru it. Sure 6 speed is stronger, that's true. Is better for road course or autox - easier to be in the powerband. LGT 5-speed is a decent unit and can take a beating, too.

Also the suspension in the LGT can't compare to the LGT.

I guess you meant SpecB. Yes, LGT suspension is junk, but USDM SpecB Bilsteins are weak, too (had them on my car as well as 8 other suspension setups). Watered down from JDM SpecB Bilsteins.

The extra weight is in the tranny & suspension.
Suspension in SpecB is lighter due to aluminium control arms in front and trailing arms and lateral links in the rear. All the weight savings are lost in stupidly porky wheels with lame narrow tires.

That's even better :rolleyes:

Legacy sedan and wagon are identical suspension wise (ignoring slightly stiffer/longer springs in the rear). Wagon is actually stiffer in the rear due to big ass reinforced floor. Weight distribution makes the wagon actually slightly better handler (with only 55 lbs. weight penalty).

I hate people who spit out nonsense with "authority".

Same suspension and better weight distribution. Very small weight penalty but the '05 un-LTD wagon was actually lighter than the LTD sedan.

Shame LGT wagon MT only lasted one year.
:orly:

edit: I'm too slow... way to ninja post UM. :jedi:

I owned an A6 Avant & drove the Sedan. The Sedan handled much better than the wagon, though the wagon was no slouch & better in the snow. Both were quattro. What can I say. I can only speak from my own driving experience. Guess wheels & tires mean allot too, but the wagon seemed longer and harder to control even with 18" Zero Neros (not M&S).

I saw the LGT Wagon clip & it was awesome. That wagon really was something.

Drive a Porsche & see what handing can really be like. Guess that's stupid too? I drive mine almost every nice day except winters and it makes the LGT & Spec B seem like kiddy cars as far a handling.

I owned an A6 Avant & drove the Sedan. The Sedan handled much better than the wagon, though the wagon was no slouch & better in the snow. Both were quattro. What can I say. I can only speak from my own driving experience. Guess wheels & tires mean allot too, but the wagon seemed longer and harder to control even with 18" Zero Neros (not M&S).

I saw the LGT Wagon clip & it was awesome. That wagon really was something.

Drive a Porsche & see what handing can really be like. Guess that's stupid too? I drive mine almost every nice day except winters and it makes the LGT & Spec B seem like kiddy cars as far a handling.

Of course they handle better, although it depends on particular model and the road surface.

Besides, are you bragging about your Porsche? I don't see relveance to LGT sedan vs. wagon or LGT vs. LGT SpecB.

Archived