LegacyGT.com

Really, Subaru? Torx T-70 to drain tranny?

dbrunone

After hunting for a few days on ebay I ordered myself a set of torx bits at Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200310552_200310552

Chrome vanadium steel star socket bit set includes T20, T25, T27, T30, T40, T45, T50, T55, T60, T70, E10, E11, E12, E14, E16, E18, E20, E22 and E24 sizes. Includes blow-molded case.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/1586712_lg.gif

$35.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

WTF was subaru thinking when they decided to use a huge ass t-70 for the tranny drain plug????? Even Sears doesnt sell the bits, everyone tops out at T60. God dammit. Guess I'll go for ebay...

You can use the T60...just keep it straight and use constant pressure when turning. Done a couple that way without a problem. It's mickey mouse, but it worked!

^^hmm I got some Red Line 75w90NS....you think I should return it and go with the extra-s instead?

hell yes!

i use the suby stuff and its waaaay better!

my buddy was using the red line fluid and we took it out after 7k miles just to see if it was better and it def was...

btw my clutch is finally in, how many miles is the break in?

Why not just go with the same set up as the rear ? 1/2" square female plug.

I agree ,all this plug needs to do is keep the oil in.

The rear plug is not 1/2", it is 13mm. And a 13mm square male socket, at a decent price (say, $15 or less) is a lot harder to find than a T70 socket.

The rear plug is not 1/2", it is 13mm. And a 13mm square male socket, at a decent price (say, $15 or less) is a lot harder to find than a T70 socket.

The regular 1/2" socket wrench is perfect for the job, and everyone has one. After all, 13mm is 0.51", a negligible difference. In fact, 1/2" drills, for example, are advertised as, "1/2" (13mm)"

The regular 1/2" socket wrench is perfect for the job, and everyone has one. After all, 13mm is 0.51", a negligible difference. In fact, 1/2" drills, for example, are advertised as, "1/2" (13mm)"

A 1/2" wrench is convenient and usable for the job, as long as the plug is not frozen in place, but far from a "perfect" fit.

A 1/2" wrench is convenient and usable for the job, as long as the plug is not frozen in place, but far from a "perfect" fit.

Here's what I think, you don't wrench much.

I just measured a 1/2" drive breaker bar I bought 37 years ago, .500". Then I measured a 1/2" wrench I bought a year ago, .51". I'm guessing that is what is being made today, 13mm/1/2" drive wrenches.

In ANY case, when it comes to the grease, anyone who thinks .50 is "far from a perfect" fit hasn't yet used either one much :lol:.

When I replaced my rear diff fluids on both the old and new rear diffs, I used the good old 30year-old breaker bar. In an amazing stroke of good fortune I didn't round out the drain plug with the "imperfect" old thang :rolleyes:. It is a far better tool than the new 13mm ratchet ever will be for the job.

You go ahead and buy the $15 socket if you want. Ill use the perfectly fine 1/2" breaker bar. :lol:

Here's what I think, you don't wrench much.

I just measured a 1/2" drive breaker bar I bought 37 years ago, .500". Then I measured a 1/2" wrench I bought a year ago, .51". I'm guessing that is what is being made today, 13mm/1/2" drive wrenches.

In ANY case, when it comes to the grease, anyone who thinks .50 is "far from a perfect" fit hasn't yet used either one much :lol:.

When I replaced my rear diff fluids on both the old and new rear diffs, I used the good old 30year-old breaker bar. In an amazing stroke of good fortune I didn't round out the drain plug with the "imperfect" old thang :rolleyes:. It is a far better tool than the new 13mm ratchet ever will be for the job.

LOL. I'm game for an internet debate!

Which tool is a tighter fit inside a 13mm square female plug?

A 13mm square male tool?

Or a 12.7mm (1/2") square male tool?

I searched all over for the T-70 socket and found one at CarQuest. It was listed under the impact wrech section. Less than $8 and they had it the next day.

I think that's where I got mine too. I've also found them in Deisel/Heavy Equipment Tool Shops.

Let's kick this pig!

WTF was subaru thinking when they decided to use a huge ass t-70 for the tranny drain plug????? Even Sears doesnt sell the bits, everyone tops out at T60. God dammit. Guess I'll go for ebay...

The drain plug used to be a common bolt size. The uneducated Jillylube techs used to drain the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil pan, and then refill the oil (thus doubling the amount of oil and running the transmission dry). In response to all of these reports, Subaru made the transmission drain plug an uncommon size as a idiot proof way of knowing that is NOT the oil pan.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Archived