LegacyGT.com

Looking into a Mini Cooper

Looked at the 09 Honda Fit today. They only had autos on the lot but have some manuals coming in. It's the #1 selling car in Japan, apparently, and very popular here as well.

Big changes from Gen I. A little larger, much nicer interior materials, and from the front at least it's a lot better looking. Absolutely amazing interior space. I can sit in back seat with plenty of head and leg room even with the seat adjusted to my specs. The rear seats fold flat to provide a big flat load floor, and perform a few other tricks as well.

Performance compared compared to the manual Cooper seems to be just about a dead wash. The Cooper has a handling edge in stock form, in part because it's a few inches wider and lower. And the Fit rear suspension is a torsion beam that enables the low load floor. But being a Honda, there are already a ton of tuner parts for it: coilovers, springs, wheels, carbon fiber intake manifold, turbochargers, etc, etc. And it comes with things like an MP3 player interface built-in.

The Mini has some plusses in standard equipment, including fully independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. But they kind of nickel and dime you with a lot of add-ons, boosting the price to more like $21,000. A Fit Sport manual is a whopping $16,060 plus shipping.

The Mini is far more distinctive in appearance but is also getting a bit of a "Die Yuppie Scum," backlash around here (there are three of them in the neighborhood." But the Mini owners group is very active and hosts autocrosses, and might be the ideal autox/commuter vehicle. The Fit is starting to show up in some number and i entertaining to drive, if not quite as quick.

I was also interested in the 09 WRX sedan, although it's a bit thirstier than I'd like to drive 30,000 miles a year. A call to the sales prevention team at Manchester Subaru yielded the information that they have one in stock, "A guy is coming over to look at it, so the first one gets it," and he didn't know when or even if they'd get more. Apparently it is a monstrous task to look over the printout....

The Mini salesguy gets an A+ in product knowledgeand enthusiasm, the Honda salesman an A in business demeanor and enthusiasm, and the Subaru salesman a D.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are they jacking prices on the Honda's right now? Up here in the PNW it seems like "dealer mark-up" is the same as MSRP to them. :rolleyes: I only looked once and told the Honda guy that if that dealer markup was something they felt they could get away with, then congrats, go get away with it on someone else cause I'm outta here. :spin:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Are they jacking prices on the Honda's right now? Up here in the PNW it seems like "dealer mark-up" is the same as MSRP to them. :rolleyes: I only looked once and told the Honda guy that if that dealer markup was something they felt they could get away with, then congrats, go get away with it on someone else cause I'm outta here. :spin:
I was told I could expect to pay MSRP, "with no games." We have two Honda company cars and the same salesman we bought the last one from is still there.

For the Mini and Fit both, the best deal anyone seems to get is free floor mats.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Ever since you changed your avatar all I see you write is bla bla bla while I'm staring at the chick in pink. In for pics!

I wouldn't compare the Mini to the Fit. They may be similar but there is definitely a badge premium on the Mini. Wouldn't something like a Versa be more appropriate? My wife's Focus hatch has folding seats in the back and thank God for that, my sedan sucks for hauling big stuff. Mini has them too.

How about SX4?

http://www.asiancarsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/suzuki-sx4_2.jpg

Supposed to be right up there as a handler along with great steering/braking feedback.

Dirt cheap, brand new 14K, okay fuel economy, but folks with them say in 2WD on highway, mid-30s is possible.

How about SX4? ///quote]

I'v considered them but there are no dealers handy. They are becoming quite common in the area, as in many ways they have taken over the market slot that Subaru used to occupy for an inexpensive AWD vehicle. I own a Suzuki motorcycle (actually two at the moment) so I'd get an additional $500 off. And based on the V-Strom motor, they really know how to build motors!

Just imagine - a company that builds a car for well under $20K that has a choice of FWD, AWD, or locked center differential. Readily available with a standard. But their mileage isn't great.

I test drove a Versa with CVT last year before we bought a used Accord V6 as another company car. It's very roomy, and has respectable performance, but Nissan's build quality is not as good as Honda (or Chevrolet, for that matter) but the way they packaged options didn't make it a very good value. The Hondas kill on resale value, and since all are cars are driven 15-30,000 miles per year, that can be an important consideration when we want to get rid of it. This will be a personal vehicle, probably, but that still holds true.

Every time I think about pulling the trigger, I hear another news report about how bad the industry is. Toyota sales are down for the first time since 1999 and they're offering 0% financing on 11 models. A friend of mine walked into an Acura dealer to look at an MDX (he tows and has a steep gravel driveway) and they quoted him $6,000 off the MSRP to start.

I'm bringing my helmet to the autocross Sunday, if I get a ride in a Mini on the course that may sway me.

Ever since you changed your avatar all I see you write is bla bla bla while I'm staring at the chick in pink. In for pics!//

Andie @ Sportsbybrooks

Who Dares Wins

スバル

So I guess to summarize all the 02-04 transmissions that aren't 6spd manuals are crap.

No, just when beaten or driven by someone who can't drive a stick. I had a late 02 as an 2003 MY. Got it with 45k and got rid of it with 68xxx. Never a single clutch/shifter/linkage/trans issue. Had it serviced once around 50-53k with RedLine MTL and she was golden. The 6 speed is a monster, though. Made by Getrag. 2005-06 is the better year as the gearing was steeper. Any other ?'s post 'em and I'll try my best to answer.

Sabotage threat to new mini Feb 23 2003

By Paul Malley

Angry car workers have threatened to sabotage the new Mini after BMW's decision to close its Midland gearbox factory.

An employee issued the sinister warning in two chilling phone calls to the Sunday Mercury.

If carried out, the damage could lead to Minis being recalled from across the world on safety grounds.

We have now tipped off the German car-maker which was horrified by the sabotage threat.

Anti-BMW feelings are running high at Midland Gears after it was revealed eight days ago the plant which employs 300 people was to shut.

Many workers have been left seething at the shock decision which has reopened old wounds created when the Munich car giant dumped Rover in 2000.

Now some Midland Gears workers are threatening to tamper with Mini gearboxes produced at the Cofton Hackett plant to hit the model's huge success.

In a phone call to the Sunday Mercury one worker said:

"First Rover and now Midland Gears has been dumped by BMW.

"There are people in the factory thinking if the Germans have shafted us again why should we send them decent gearboxes to put in the Mini?

"I know it is strong action to take but there is a lot of ill feeling now towards BMW. People feel very let down.

"It wouldn't be too difficult to affect the quality of the product, just a bit of tampering would be enough.

"The fact that all the checks and tests are done at Midland Gears means BMW could fit defective gearboxes into the Mini without realising it.

"Mini buyers would then find themselves driving vehicles which don't perform as well as they should do.

"The massive recall of the affected cars would cost BMW a fortune."

Tampering with the gear-boxes would be classed as criminal damage - but manslaughter if the sabotage led to loss of life.

The Sunday Mercury has alerted BMW to the threat against the Mini, built at Cowley, near Oxford, which has been a huge hit around the world and is sold in 72 countries.

BMW expects Mini sales to reach 160,000 this year after a record 144,000 were bought last year.

A shocked BMW spokesman said: "I find it very hard to believe people would be motivated to tamper with or sabotage gearboxes. "It is not a legitimate or sensible action.

"But if we thought there was a danger of this happening it would be something we would address."

When the closure of Midland Gears was announced, BMW said it had taken the decision after Longbridge-based MG Rover decided not to buy any more gearboxes from the company.

But the worker said: "The real reason MG Rover is not buying any more gearboxes from us is because BMW has put the price up by more than 30 per cent.

"That is the reason we will only have work until 2004, not 2007 as expected."

A union source said: "BMW is saying MG Rover ended the contract and so the plant is closing.

"But from what I understand MG Rover wanted to extend the contract for at least 14 months, if the gearboxes could be supplied at a cheaper price.

"Instead, BMW increased the price from £350 to about £500 a gearbox.

"This has forced MG Rover to look elsewhere and given BMW an excuse to get out of the plant."

He added: "Threatening to sabotage gearboxes is very strong action to take but staff are very upset. "They thought they would remain under BMW until end of life cycle of the Mini in 2007.

It was then hoped the company might be taken over by MG Rover."

Mick Waggett, AEEU convenor at Midland Gears, said: "Over the last two years Midland Gears employees have worked hard to meet the challenge of developing the new Mini gearbox.

"They played a major role in the success of the car and for this they expected future security, not the closure of the factory.

"Morale is low and there is a lot of anger - they feel they deserve better. "All this co-operation seems to have been a waste of time."

The BMW spokesman added: "BMW would have liked the opportunity to continue discussions with MG Rover over continuing supply but that was not to be.

"We are doing everything we can to ensure the consequences of the termination of the MG Rover contract has as little impact on the employees as possible.

"We have assured all workers at Midland Gears that we will offer them continuity of employment, probably at our engine plant in Hams Hall, Warwickshire.

"For those who don't want to take up that opportunity there will be redundancy packages."

Midland Gears was created following MG Rover's acquisition of engine plant Powertrain from BMW in the summer of 2001.

It currently makes around 2,000 gearboxes a week for Mini and 1,600 for MG Rover.

The Longbridge carmaker is switching supply for its Rover 25 and 45 models to German giant Getrag at the end of next month.

By the middle of 2004 the gearboxes for the Mini will also be supplied by Getrag.

paul_malley@mrn.co.uk

I'm going to test drive the Cooper S next week.

Not wild about the run-flats and lack of spare given how much I drive, but when I drove the Cooper I was on the rev limiter a few times.

Ditching the RFT's is the first mod almost all Cooper owner's make.It was night and day between my OE wheels with run-flats and my Enkei's with Nitto rubber. Both in ride comfort and handling prowess.;) Speaking of which, are for sale if anyone i the Philly area is interested in. 4x100 pattern. PM me if you've got questions.:rolleyes:

Agreed. And fyi the 17" minilite clones are lead weights. Stock 16"s or just about anything else are better.

They call them S-lites even though they're about the heaviest of the MINI OE wheels at around 23-25lbs/each. The lightest are the 15in Holies but the aftermarket soooooo many better options.;)

• 7 months later...

Thread revival. Wife got the bug again now that winter is past and she wants a Mini. We test drove one yesterday, well, had HER test drive it and she absolutely loved it. Not the right car, as it was outside our budget of $13K.

I found one on Cars.com but I don't know what to do. A big part of me wants to go get it, but still.

Basically it's a 2006 auto with decent options on it such as leather interior, heated seats, etc. It's in mint condition from what we can tell and the absolute bottom price is $11,995. Carfax is clean, absolutely no issues.

The catch? It's got 76K miles, so out of warranty. On top of that, the car is 400-some miles away. The guy I talked to offered to pay for 1 plane ticket out there and said that if I don't like the car, he'd pay me back.

Thoughts?

See what the price would be on an aftermarket warranty. As long as the maintenance history is there, those motors easily go 150K+ miles. They use a timing chain so no worries of belt breakage. 2006 was a great year as all of the initial bugs were long gone. I say buy it, put brakes on it, service the trans, put new plugs plugs in it and enjoy. Maybe just replace all the fluids to be safe.

Warranty is anywhere between 800 and 1200 from what I've seen.

I'd defnitely flush all fluids.

Any other opinions?

I'd rather have an 06 with 76k hwy miles than an 03 with 40k city miles ...

04s, 05s with around 50-60K are only 1K, 1.5K cheaper. No leather interior either (we don't want it, but it's a plus).

Mitchell Valuemate has this Mini valued at 16.5K USD retail ... Guy priced it at 13.9 on the lot but 11.9 on the net.

Here's the Carfax. I find the service listed a bit of a worry, or lack thereof, but I'm sure it's because it was not done at the dealer.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/logCarfaxClick.jsp?linklocation=detail&oneOwner=false&VIN=WMWRC33536TJ79887&mknm=Mini&mdnm=Cooper&year=2006&trim=+&pa_id=309437214&dlr_id=194297&CPO=N&aff=national

No ATF drain/refill means I'd have to do it ASAP

I think you'd be alright. Plenty of oil changes over the last 20K miles or so. The steering angle sensor and vehicle speed sensor is common on a lot of European cars. I know VW's east through all of that kind of stuff. Looks like it had the 40K, 45K, and possibly a 60K mile service done. What I would do is call that dealer, give them the VIN, and ask for a copy of the previous repair orders so you can see in more detail what was performed and what (if anything) was declined. Also glad to see plenty of details performed. That car should be straight and clean, body wise, by the looks of what was performed.

Thanks for your opinions Bolksey85, I think we're gonna go for that Mini. The catch is that we can't make it there until next week-end, so I'll let the guy know. If it sells by that time, it wasn't meant to be. According to CarFax however, the vehicle was sold at the auction on 4/20, so I think the guy had it for a while. I think people are put off by the extremely high miles. No other Mini seems to be as good of a deal within reasonable distance (I'm not going to drive to Florida for one, lol). I mean, consider this: Minis 2 years older, with only 15K miles less on the ODO but the price difference was 1K. And absolutely no service record. Not worth it.

And if the car sells by the time we make it down there, it wasn't meant to be.

Archived