LegacyGT.com

Spec B and Winter.......

RALLYT-WRX

I am getting everything together for the upcoming winter and I was wondering a couple of things:

1. Will the TPMS sensors fit in 17" Rota Sub Zero's?

2. Does anybody run their 18" Spec B wheels in the winter time, fitted with a all season tire of course. If so how did the wheels hold up?

My plan is to either replace my existing tires with some all season tread and run my spec B wheels year round, or slap the same all season tires on my spare set of Rota's and run them in the winter.

The cheaper alternative (because I don't have to purchase new TPMS sensors) would be to replace the tires with all season's but I am not sure I want to run my 18's in the winter.

Opinions?

Personally I would never go with all seasons over dedicated summer/winter tires because they always have a compromise, they don't have half the grip of a summer tire during summer weather (dry, wet), and they don't have half the grip as a winter tire during winter weather (snow, ice), but they are able to do both, which makes them the top seller when compared to dedicated summer or winter tires.

The factory bridgestone RE050A tires that come with the Spec.B are amazing in the summer months when compared to any all-seasons on the market. They also add to the feel, that is often solely associated to the bilstein struts, that the Spec.B has over the regular Legacy GT. The trouble is when it hits colder temperatures they don't quite have the grip they should have, in fact when the snow hits the ground they are quite scary. So that's when a dedicated winter tire comes into play, but this is coming from someone who lives in Canada, if you don't quite have that harsh of winters and mostly wet, slushy, roads it would seem to make more sense to get an all season tire year round. That in itself lies another problem, because most people get a Spec.B for the handling over the regular Legacy GT, so in order to retain that handling you would have to keep the summer tires during the summer months, so it would make sense to keep those for the summer and get a second set for the winter.

This is more of a generic post pertaining to most of the people considering this exact scenario verses directly towards the original poster because I don't exactly know the types of winters Pennsylvania experiences, but since you are considering some sort of cold weather tire this should apply as well. For dedicated winter tires in warmer climates the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D seems so fair considerably well, infact a lot of people say they handle better in the dry then a lot of the all-season tires on the market. For dedicated winter tires in harsh colder climates I would say try a Nokian tire out, I plan on using the new Hakkapeliitta R on my 18" Spec.B wheels for the winter and getting different aftermarket rims when the spring hits.

Another thing a lot of people don't consider when it comes to spending money on tires, is that they don't realise that when you use two sets of tires they last twice as long since you only use them half the time. People think that $600.00 all-seasons that you replace every 3 seasons is cheaper then the $1200.00 winter/summers sets that last you 6 seasons, while in the end it could very well equal the same in the long run, but give you twice the grip in either condition. I've dealt with many people when I used to work at a tireshop that would say they didn't need winter tires because they never got into an accident before, during the winter, but why take the risk, why not have the most traction you could possibly have? The statistics show that most fatal automobile accidents during snowy conditions can be attributed to inadequate tires, but i'm sure they saved a few dollars in the process before they died and/or kill someone else in the process.

Well enough of my rambling, get some winter tires for the 17" rims if you like the factory 18" rims, if not, throw some winters on the factory 18" rims and get some new rims you like for the summer tires, which I plan on doing.

Another thing a lot of people don't consider when it comes to spending money on tires, is that they don't realise that when you use two sets of tires they last twice as long since you only use them half the time. People think that $600.00 all-seasons that you replace every 3 seasons is cheaper then the $1200.00 winter/summers sets that last you 6 seasons, while in the end it could very well equal the same in the long run, but give you twice the grip in either condition.

Another cost factor to consider that saves money with dedicated rims and seasonal tires, is that you don't pay to change them over twice a year. This adds up to a considerable amount of money over several seasons.

I've thought long and hard about it and I think I'll be using 18" winter tires on my factory rims - or possibly cheap aftermarket rims. Going with either Pirelli winter 240 Sottozero or Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22. Both V rated 215/45's. Then once my factory summer tires wear out I'll get some new summer rims/tires (WIDER > 215's on 18"??? why'd they go with a 7" rim?) I just don't like going down to 17's for half the year, which is how long winter lasts where I'm from.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

I have a set of Rotas for winter, and another set with my summer-only tires. The winters have the TPMS sensors, the summers have none. The low tire pressure warning was a minor annoyance until I mounted my V1 radar detector remote display on the right side of the gauge cluster, now I never have to see it. :)

You can buy TPS from a number of sources (dealer included) and have them installed. They then have to be coded by a Subaru dealer. When you change wheels back in the Spring, your old wheels will have to be recoded. Not worth the $$ or aggravation IMO.

I found a set of 17" wheels and winter rubber for such a great price that I couldn't say no.

Only problem is that now I have to sweet talk wife for a new set of summer wheels. Would probably be much less ass kissing if that would be the 2nd set rather than the 3rd ... but oh well.

Enjoy.

(07 spec B guy here too)

-the tire pressure sensors, other than the light on the dash any other issues? eg. abs/traction control issues

-on 17 inch rims.. what size tires you guys using for winters?

225/50/R17 rather beefy and only the Spec can fit them without rubbing due to the Bilsteins

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I'm using 17 Rotas w/ Blizzaks. No TPS. It's really a minor annoyance.

Just wondering what rim width you've got on those Rotas and what's the offest? I wasn't sure if any 17's would clear the calipers on the spec B.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Maybe they are, but they SEEM bigger - there's only about 12mm clearance between the spokes and the caliper. I know the rotors are larger in diameter, not sure about thickness. THANKS

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

if you go all season i as well as other members have had great luck with Pirelli Pzero Nero All seasons on the stock 18" rims

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/100_4502.jpg

just kidding

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2606.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2605.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2600.jpg

if you go all season i as well as other members have had great luck with Pirelli Pzero Nero All seasons on the stock 18" rims

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/100_4502.jpg

just kidding

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2606.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2605.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2600.jpg

How is the handling compared to the stock Bridgestone's?

Archived