LegacyGT.com

Spec B and Winter.......

RALLYT-WRX

I had the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on my STi... they were good on dry and wet but absolute junk on even light snow. A three-season tire IMHO.

For a dedicated winter tire, I can highly recommend the Blizzak WS-60... For my Spec.B, I bought 215/45R17s and cheap 17" wheels for winter, don't think you can get those Blizzaks in a size that will fit the stock Spec.B wheels.

How is the handling compared to the stock Bridgestone's?

I didnt notice a signifigant difference in handling characteristics. probably doesnt stick quite as much in a really hard corner but for 90% of the time the handling will be the same cause chances are you wont be reaching the limit of the tire anyhow

If possible, you'd want to run as thin of tires as possible, as with a narrow tire, you'll get better winter traction, as the decreased width "cuts" through the snow and slush better.

I run a separate set of winters (Kazera KZ-C, I think?) with 205/50R17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's (few years old now).. The TPMS as mentioned above, blinks at you after about 10 minutes in the car, but after a few days you don't really notice it. I do always look forward to putting my summers back on so it goes away though. :)

I`ll be putting on my 215 x 50 x17 Dunlap wintersport m3`s mounted on Asa AR1 wheels on soon. I have run them for 2 winters already - great tire in snow and good handling on dry roads. I purchased them in Oct 06 from Tirerack and had to wait 2 weeks as they were testing rims & winter tires for the Spec B to check fitament and thats what they recommended. Last year in Maine we had over 12 ft of snow and no problems. :)

i have studless tires on my stock wheels they are icebears and they worked pretty good all winter i worked at a ski resort and had to drive on snow and ice all winter. plus i can change my tires before the big rush when studs become legal in town.

Anybody have any luck with the Dunlop Graspic's?

I had Graspics on my old car, good tires. They lasted 4 winters with a lot of burnouts and spinning of the tires, they still had 50% tread left. They aren't as good as the Dunlop M3 or 3D in the handling department, but perform well in deep snow and ice. Good winter tires if you don't want to spend lots of cash, I think they only make them up to 17" as well.

I had Graspics on my old car, good tires. They lasted 4 winters with a lot of burnouts and spinning of the tires, they still had 50% tread left. They aren't as good as the Dunlop M3 or 3D in the handling department, but perform well in deep snow and ice. Good winter tires if you don't want to spend lots of cash, I think they only make them up to 17" as well.

Thanks for info!

I will be running Rota Subzero's in 17" as my winter wheels so it's all good.

• 2 months later...
There are different kinds of sensors, and the Subaru system takes a specific kind. Make sure you get what the dealers are able to program in. If I recall correctly, they're 315MHz sensors, but you should check a solid source, such as TireRack (I ordered wheels/tires with sensors from them, and they reprogrammed just fine). HPH

I forgot to update this thread with my decision. ;)

I went with Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on 17" Rota subzero's. I decided against purchasing extra sensors as I don't think the cost is justified as I know how to check air in my tires. ;)

Thanks for all the advice! :)

• 4 months later...

Well, after debating for awhile whether or not to spring for 4 more tpms sensors, I eventually found out that my car HAS NO TPMS:redface:! What an idiot, no wonder I was having trouble getting part #'s for them! Lesson learned, read the manual. It states quite clearly the TPMS is found on U.S. models only... That also explains the absence of the dash indicator light. I'm actually super happy I don't have it! Saves me alot of cash:lol:.

PS. So far so good with my winter Pirelli Sotto Zero's. Grips like an SOB.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

• 5 years later...

Bumping an old thread...what tire pressure do you keep your Sottozero's at?

Well, after debating for awhile whether or not to spring for 4 more tpms sensors, I eventually found out that my car HAS NO TPMS:redface:! What an idiot, no wonder I was having trouble getting part #'s for them! Lesson learned, read the manual. It states quite clearly the TPMS is found on U.S. models only... That also explains the absence of the dash indicator light. I'm actually super happy I don't have it! Saves me alot of cash:lol:.

PS. So far so good with my winter Pirelli Sotto Zero's. Grips like an SOB.

Maybe they are, but they SEEM bigger - there's only about 12mm clearance between the spokes and the caliper. I know the rotors are larger in diameter, not sure about thickness. THANKS

Spec B and GT models share the same brake package...rotors and calipers are the same on both.

Archived