LegacyGT.com

Best snow tire for wet roads?

snowfiend

inside out tread design?

it's smooth on the outside with the tread on the inside? Won't slip on the rim I guess

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/images/PRODUCT/large/WR-G2.jpghttp://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-7162-nokian-wr-g2.aspx

Features/Benefits:

• Inside – Outside Design Tread Pattern - Tread pattern differs on the inside of the tire and the outside shoulder of the tire for the best handling on wet and dry pavement

• Driving Safety Indicator - DSI system uses number blocks displayed in the center of the tread area, indicating the safety level and remaining tread depth in millimeters

• 3-D Self-Locking Siping - The self-locking siping located in the central rib supports the tire in the lateral and longitudinal direction, and particularly improves driving stability and wet grip

• Water Wipe System - Ensures that the tread is pressed firmly against the pavement to prevent hydroplaning and slushplaning when braking

• Canola Oil and Cool Silica Tread Compounds - These compounds combined improve winter wet grip and reduces tire rolling resistance saving fuel without compromising its winter capabilities

• Respecting the Environment - Manufacturing Process uses only low aromatic, purified oils

• Severe Service Emblem - Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations

That's the best way to explain it.

yes

Can you elaborate? It is not common that someone has experience with both, Nokian WR and Dunlops M3/3D. Both being top choices for winter enthusiast tires.

The Nokian was more of an All Season than a snow. It just didn't have the grip as the M3 did in snow and ice.

The 3D is more performance oriented than the M3. That's from Dunlop

How about dry or wet?

Great info. The only time I will have the snow tires on is for specific trips to tahoe. they will be put on before I leave, and taken off once I get back. So I dont think I want a "performance" winter tire, just something that will get me to the slopes when no one else wants to go ;)

Actually, I think you would do well with a performance winter tire. They will perform well on snow, dry pavement, and wet pavement. On ice they won't perform as well. So if you won't be driving on ice, go for a performance winter.

The Michelin Alpin PA3 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D would be good choices, and more widely available than the Nokian. But the Nokian is also a good choice.

Actually, I think you would do well with a performance winter tire. They will perform well on snow, dry pavement, and wet pavement. On ice they won't perform as well. So if you won't be driving on ice, go for a performance winter.

The Michelin Alpin PA3 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D would be good choices, and more widely available than the Nokian. But the Nokian is also a good choice.

Yeah, being that I need a new set of summers AND winters right now, I had been looking at the WR-G2's as an "all in one" solution, but the quote for $225/each in stock OBXT size made me run away screaming. For that price, I can pretty much buy a good set of summers and a good set of winters, and have the best of both worlds.

Wonder how much increased sales volume Nokian might see in the U.S. if they priced their tires more competitively....

Tim

I was quoted 207.99 for WR G2 215/45R17 + 20.00 for installation.

Total amount (with 5% MA tax) comes out 954.06.

My last all seasons (Dunlop SP 5000 in 225/45R17) set me ~460 back. It is hard to justify such high prices. Dunlops were on sale by the way.

Krzys

PS Tires in Europe are usually much higher than in US (except Nokian). In Europe Nokian sells its tires below prime brands (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental) so it is cheaper and as good as big guys. In US its prices are the same like in Europe but competition sells tires cheaper here so they play as premium premium brand. I find it interesting.

Krzys

PS Tires in Europe are usually much higher than in US (except Nokian). In Europe Nokian sells its tires below prime brands (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental) so it is cheaper and as good as big guys. In US its prices are the same like in Europe but competition sells tires cheaper here so they play as premium premium brand. I find it interesting.

My guess would be the cost of transportation may have something to do with the prices for imported tires being more here in the US and the same for tires being imported to Europe.

I was quoted 207.99 for WR G2 215/45R17 + 20.00 for installation.

Total amount (with 5% MA tax) comes out 954.06.

My last all seasons (Dunlop SP 5000 in 225/45R17) set me ~460 back. It is hard to justify such high prices. Dunlops were on sale by the way.

Krzys

You can buy them much cheaper if you shop around. There are few good tire shops in NH, name escapes me. Last year I was quoted about $170/tire installed for WR G2 in 225/45/17.

You can buy them much cheaper if you shop around. There are few good tire shops in NH, name escapes me. Last year I was quoted about $170/tire installed for WR G2 in 225/45/17.

Thanks Unclemat.....I had been thinking about heading to MA or NH to buy a set of Nokians, but unless I coordinate it with a planned trip up that way (my folks like on Cape Cod), I'd most likely being spending about the same in gas as what I'd be saving by buying them up there. On top of that, I'd likely need to make the trip up myself since there's NO way my 7-month prego wife and our 14-month old daughter would hang out at a tire shop for 1-2 hours while I'm having tires mounted.

So much for that idea :icon_frow

Thanks anyway!

Tim

Yes--unfortunately they aren't made in any size which is remotely do-able on an OBXT without changing to another size wheel ;) In laws run them on their '99 Acura CL and love 'em....

Tim

I just put on a pair. I know, I drove them just in heavy rain and the grip was impressive ! :eek: I am looking forward to winter driving. Sorry to hear about the unavailability for OBXT. It really is an awesome tire. Can you not choose a slightly larger tire ? Assuming you got the OEM rims, for instance I am running 225/45/17 but the OEM's are 215. You could vary a bit the first 2 tire numbers. the 45 is a % of tire width and is the "balloon height" while the 225 is 225 mm tire width. You can even get away with 235 on the OEM rims but be sure to get an alignment.

I just put on a pair. I know, I drove them just in heavy rain and the grip was impressive ! :eek: I am looking forward to winter driving. Sorry to hear about the unavailability for OBXT. It really is an awesome tire. Can you not choose a slightly larger tire ? Assuming you got the OEM rims, for instance I am running 225/45/17 but the OEM's are 215. You could vary a bit the first 2 tire numbers. the 45 is a % of tire width and is the "balloon height" while the 225 is 225 mm tire width. You can even get away with 235 on the OEM rims but be sure to get an alignment.

...yeah, unfortunately when I said they're "not made in any size remotely do-able on an XT", I really meant it :lol: They have nothing even close to a 225/55-17, like a 235/55 or a 245/50--both of which would work alright (although I'm not crazy about the idea of going to a wider tire--especially in the wet or snow). Moving down to a 235/50 or anything in 45-Series is just not an option.

I keep holding out hope that they'll produce the CEC in a size which would work, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath:spin:

Thanks for chiming-in...

Tim

so part 2: tire size

205/50/17?

215/45/17?

225/45/17?

I'll be going 205/50-17. Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D. $124/ea @Tirerack

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

...yeah, unfortunately when I said they're "not made in any size remotely do-able on an XT", I really meant it :lol: They have nothing even close to a 225/55-17, like a 235/55 or a 245/50--both of which would work alright (although I'm not crazy about the idea of going to a wider tire--especially in the wet or snow). Moving down to a 235/50 or anything in 45-Series is just not an option.

Tim

Final question. What size do tires come OEM on the OBXT ? Use an online tire size calculator, get the overall diameter, see what combo comes close. I think you had 225/55/R17 so 235/50/R17 comes close.

You can also try Pirelli P-Zero Nero, Good Year Eagle F1 AS then Kumho Ecsta ASX in terms of great all seasons tires that are decent in snow. Based on experience. And of course tire rack have a pretty accurate tire ranking for those attributes they list, and the BStone Potenza RE960 is there at the top for a reason.

Good luck with your choices but always aim for "more tire" than you think you need. It can only be a safe thing.

Final question. What size do tires come OEM on the OBXT ? Use an online tire size calculator, get the overall diameter, see what combo comes close. I think you had 225/55/R17 so 235/50/R17 comes close.

You can also try Pirelli P-Zero Nero, Good Year Eagle F1 AS then Kumho Ecsta ASX in terms of great all seasons tires that are decent in snow. Based on experience. And of course tire rack have a pretty accurate tire ranking for those attributes they list, and the BStone Potenza RE960 is there at the top for a reason.

Good luck with your choices but always aim for "more tire" than you think you need. It can only be a safe thing.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear....stock OBXT size is 225/55-17. The "optional" tire sizes I had listed (which I had calculated using a the ever popular Miata tire size calculator) which although close to stock size--are also not available in the Conti EC unfortunately. I believe this is also the case for the 960AS if memory serves.

I'm open to going with a non-stock size like a 235/55 or possibly even a 235/50 (depending on the overall tire diameter since--like shoes--different brand tires size differently), but I'm not willing to sacrifice more than a 2mph shift smaller as that'll also affect my already-crappy gas mileage.

If I went with the F1-A/S, I'd have to go with the 235/55 which **should** squeeze under the fenderwells alright. Believe it or not with all the tire clearance the OB appears to have, at full lock--there is very little clearance even with the stock tire size, so depending on the brand...going even slightly larger or too wide will rub the inner fenders.

Thanks,

Tim

Archived