LegacyGT.com

Alright so i might buy american after all...G8 GXP

yes but one is a v8 muscle car and the other is a 4 banger muscle car! There is a difference... but to be honest i doubt i would buy it unless i move down south since it snows way too much up here to enjoy it really.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 93 and up was a new car, way different from the pre 93 cars.

It had a makeover but the basic construction was old as dirt. The foundation and many of the components had not been significantly changed in many years. This is why Im saying its not apples/apples to compair a 1990's Camaro / Firebird to the new G8. I loved my Camaro but it was a 70's design with a few updates.

Some parts were yes, the tranny, engine, fuel system, electrical alot of the suspension, brakes and plastic/fiberglass body pieces werent. Thats alot of the car, sorry to hijack. G8 GXP looks like a pretty stout machine, im still waiting for a sedan with the ls7 to come over to america.

thats one of the great/terrible things about GM. They use the same parts for 20 years. :lol:

I'm a big GM fan so thats certainly not intended as criticism.

Funny, after I said they didnt seem to be selling. .I saw one on my commute home. Thats only the 2nd on the road I've seen since their release however.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

My 96 Z28 made great numbers, purchase price, MPG, 0-60, 1/4 mile, cornering G's, and looked nice, but overall was a very crude car. This new G8 looks like all the good points listed above , but also a modern well built car.

I installed welded in subframe connectors to try and tie the car together somewhat. Not much help. It was like the pre C5 Corvette all creeks, squeeks and flex. Be honest.

i like GM products, infact i'm a chevy guy at heart with a F-body Camaro project car soon to come. i personally am not interested in the G*. i did check them out before the Subies. the interior was poorly designed for a car in that price range, and the overall body styling doesn't impress me much either. the only thing that could possibly catch my eye is the drivetrain. i'll take a camaro with a LS motor over the G8 anyday.

yes holden, which honestly i think looks better in holden clothing than it does in pontiac clothing.

so if i were to buy one of these it would undergo a aus transformation a la spec b!

R.I.P Coxx

IMO both the GTO and G8 look better with their holden front ends. Just so people know.. GTO=Holden Monaro G8=Holden Commodore. They come in a variety of packages from daily driver commuter car to all out tire burner. I believe the powertrain is the same because Holden is a subsidary of GM.

http://image.automotive.com/f/miscellaneous/gm-to-build-new-car-based-on-zeta-platform/1006352+w700+cr1+re0+ar1/holden-commodore-ssv.jpg

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2006/10/holden_gto_spec.jpg

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

yes holden, which honestly i think looks better in holden clothing than it does in pontiac clothing.

so if i were to buy one of these it would undergo a aus transformation a la spec b!

Well that will be an expensive mod as you will need new lights, bonnet (hood) and bumper to pull that one off. You know what we call the Holden Commodore in Oz? The commonwhore as everyone is driving it. Good luck but I reckon you will regret it in the end.

The interior kills me and I'm not really a Pontiac fan but the ones I have seen around look good.

Thats ok its not really a Pontiac anyway, its a Holden.

It's probably the only GM car i'm remotely interested in (other than the Opel Insignia if they brought it to the US).

IMO both the GTO and G8 look better with their holden front ends. Just so people know.. GTO=Holden Monaro G8=Holden Commodore. They come in a variety of packages from daily driver commuter car to all out tire burner. I believe the powertrain is the same because Holden is a subsidary of GM.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but while the top end Holden's do have the Corvette powertrain, don't they actually have Independent Rear Suspension like a real car unlike the Corvette's leaf spring setup?

Well that will be an expensive mod as you will need new lights, bonnet (hood) and bumper to pull that one off. You know what we call the Holden Commodore in Oz? The commonwhore as everyone is driving it. Good luck but I reckon you will regret it in the end.

Don't underestimate americans, those with money do JDM front end conversions all the time with new hoods, bumper, lights, front fenders etc esp if the overseas market model looks significantly better than the US ones.

The headlights are different, but likely the same shape.

The hood and front bumper cover are probably the only required changes to get the new front end look. Keep in mind that the headlights have to be proper left-hand-drive aiming. Perhaps from the Vauxhall/Opel VXR in continental europe, if you must change them. The US lights probably fit exactly the same openings.

Don't underestimate americans, those with money do JDM front end conversions all the time with new hoods, bumper, lights, front fenders etc esp if the overseas market model looks significantly better than the US ones.

Sweet, I'll start a business sending pieces of commonwhores from the wreckers here! Heaps of parts available as young kids driving 6 ltr holdens usually write them off within the first couple of months here. RWD + 6 ltr V8 + Young Hoons = Accident waiting to happen.

I wouldn't buy any domestic car new. The depreciation rates are epic, especially on halo type cars like that... wait a few months and pick one up for a song.

Yep...you hit the nail on the head 12-18 mos. you have one with 20k on it and 15k less in price...

Rehab is for quitters.

Sweet, I'll start a business sending pieces of commonwhores from the wreckers here! Heaps of parts available as young kids driving 6 ltr holdens usually write them off within the first couple of months here. RWD + 6 ltr V8 + Young Hoons = Accident waiting to happen.

sweet! hell i will buy stuff for the legacy now if you can give me good prices! Aussieparts.com!

I want the hitech mufflers you guys get and the body kits! Make it happen!

R.I.P Coxx

Lol that happens with almost every car, i see 07 legacys wih 20k or less goin for 20k-23k aswell.

Yes, but some brands/models depreciate a lot faster than others which is the biggest factor affecting the REAL cost to own a car. Unless you are one of the few Americans that keeps your car until the wheels fall off.

Most domestics depreciate much faster than the imports (sans most Korean makes). This can mostly be attributed to the huge number of cars they dump on fleets.

+1.. look at an 04 honda civic VP.. damn thing has depreciated like $3k from sticker.... our cars? about 8k from an 05..

to be fair tho, domestics generally have a higher rate of depreciation than imports.. if nothing else because the dealers cut so much off the sticker to make the deal to begin with. Theres no way your new "$45,000" truck is worth $45k if you paid 40 and you didnt get a "deal" compared to other people.

Lol that happens with almost every car, i see 07 legacys wih 20k or less goin for 20k-23k aswell.

Uhhh that car is going to cost close to 40k and I guarantee it depreciates alot more percentage wise than the LGT...An 07 LGT would cost 27k if one could neg. well.

Rehab is for quitters.

You think 07 lgts costs 27k still, LOL your silly. My T/a i sold for 15k and its was 8 years old 28k new so it lost 13k in 8 years, not too bad. My legacy is an 05 blue book about 17k it was 29k new so thats 12k in 3 years. Looks like the domestic won that time

Archived