LegacyGT.com

Short Shifter Install Issue

GTkansan

I get a lot of vibration above 3K rpm in neutral. I think this is because the rag I wiped the shifter grease onto got thrown out before I could reuse it (erg). Of course home depot didnt have anything that I could use. What grease would you all recommend? I guess a graphite or silicone lube (highest density and viscosity I can find?) from pep boys or the like would work to put in under the shifter pivot point?

• 4 weeks later...

I used Mobil 1 all-purpose synthetic grease from autozone. It comes in a tube for a grease gun and the grease is red. The tube itself has the usual Mobil 1 branding on it. I chose the mobil 1 versus the other "all-purpose" greases because it had the widest operating temperature range (down to -40) and was only a few bucks more expensive ($6 versus $4).

After having used the STS for a year with the salvaged grease that came on the stock unit, the new grease made a noticeable improvement in shift feel. I used this grease on the lower (ball) pivot as well as the bolt pivot to prevent rattling. Greasing the bolt pivot eliminated the rattle my shifter had while coasting at >3000rpm.

I also plan on using this grease on the Kartboy front shifter bushings and rear stay.

Thats what I do too. Ive replaced the grease with much better and thicker stuff, and the vibration is better but not gone. Im taking it in to the machine shop tomorrow and grinding down the end so that it will never make contact with the bottom of the well.

I recommend Jegs prothane grease which also come in tubes for the grease gun as well as a smaller jar. Its used for lubing polyurethane bushings which I use it for as well. Its very very sticky and waterproof. I found it to quiet down the shifter even more then even the mobil 1 synthetic I used before.

For the C-clip I have a snap ring plier from napa that can be converted with the flick of a switch from external to internal ring formats which worked well for me.

I used a pair of Israeli fine-tip curved needle nose pliers (also good for reaching into naval cavities). Did the job, but I had to "figure out" the technique needed.

Joe

P.s. I'm aiming to pick-up some grease this weekend; I'll post the results. My wife is really unhappy with the shifting quality of her LGT w/ the Cobb Short Shifter. She hated the stock height and throw, but now she hates the effort, notchiness, etc....and I've adjusted it a number of times. I'm going to now lengthen the throw, raise the height (make it "easier"), apply a gob of grease to the shifter-ball and "grotto" area, and grease up the shift linkage, metal bushings, and shift bolt.

In another 1-2 months, I'll do Extra-S fluid in the trans and rear diff. If she's not happy with all that, we're screwed.

Archived