LegacyGT.com

Mazdaspeed 6 0-60 5.5 seconds

Anybody catch that Mazda is reporting a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds for the Mazdaspeed 6?

-B

Really? Last time it was 6.2. What do they change it every day?

Wait a minute... perhaps everytime the Mazda execs grant an interview, they just throw a different number out there so that every week we get a new thread on the Legacy forum to advertise their product.

--

Note to moderator: Perhaps it is time for a sticky "The Mazdaspeed 6 Thread," since no one seems to do a search before creating a new thread about it.

It makes sense. This is the "Legacy vs. other cars" section, and the new Mazdaspeed 6 is positioning itself to be the best rival out there, so why not?

The car mags that have driven the car say the 5.5 sec figure is 'a bit optimistic'. Sounds like the 6.0-6.2 range is more realistic. It will take real testing to get 'the number'.

Why does anyone care if the MS6 is faster? If speed mattered over all else, trade your car on the EVO, STI, or SRT-4. I just find this odd, especially after reading a thread on G35driver.com titled "Cars the G can't beat". Maybe I am just getting old.... ;)

Anybody catch that Mazda is reporting a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds for the Mazdaspeed 6?

-B

Can't wait to see the markup on this one. We test drove a Mazda 6s (v6) before buying the Legacy. Interior felt cheap.

Knowing there was a $3000-3500 rebate on them, the dealer still quoted us MSRP on a loaded model! $31K for a Mazda6?!?!? When I mentioned that I was looking at a mid-20s price for a 6 at most, the salesman walked away mumbling something about "checking pricing with the manager" and never came back.

I'll bet the 6s go for MSRP+$5K for the first 6 months..

HV

SLightly off the subject, (talking about price markup on cars) I wish Nissan hadn't marked up the price on the Altima SE-R so much. for 31 grand you can get a real sports car, or even a much nicer maxima with more power. I was tempted to get one until i realized the price jump from a standard 3.5SE

Has anyone here gone up against one yet? I wonder how they do against the LGT.

SLightly off the subject, (talking about price markup on cars) I wish Nissan hadn't marked up the price on the Altima SE-R so much. for 31 grand you can get a real sports car, or even a much nicer maxima with more power. I was tempted to get one until i realized the price jump from a standard 3.5SE

Has anyone here gone up against one yet? I wonder how they do against the LGT.

The major question you should be asking yourself is why would you consider a FWD car as a "sports" car.

From the line I'd expect the legacy GT to beat out the SE-R. The SE-R will spin all over the place with major torque steer. It's just too much power going to just the front tires. However on the road stock vs. stock once up to speed they should be about even.

I'm guessing that both will be comparable in acceleration, but the 6 will outhandle the Legacy in the reviews. This is mainly based on how the Mazdas are normally lauded for being great handlers, and the Legacy never seemed to get much kudos. :( I would sure like the Bilstein from the GT, but maybe that increases their cost too much.

The 5.5 figure from Mazda is the first I've seen. Always been 6.2. Car and Driver mentioned the 6.2 was very conservative, and talked about how great the handling was.

However, the last two articles I read (one with the 5.5 quote included) said the bias is towards understeer in the corners. Wondering if Mazda toned down the neutral handling Car and Driver experienced in Japan for the US market. If so, BOOOO!

Being electronic, wondering if there would be a way to bring it back...

-B

PS A Nissan 3.5L Altima with manual tranny will walk a LGT from a roll.

Yeah I read that mazda estimated the mazdaspeed6 at 5.5 to 60 review, in one of the recent mags, which is strange b/c all other mag reviews have said 6.2 est from mazda which the reviewers thought was conservative..So prob somewhere in between...the car looks like gunt...

PS A Nissan 3.5L Altima with manual tranny will walk a LGT from a roll.

What wont "walk" an LGT from a "roll", I bet a 1992 VW EuroVan will (0-60 in 16 secs).... who the hell "rolls" away from lights anyways? I sure as hell dont...

As far as changing the AWD systems electronics - I know the R32 owners (who also have haldex) can buy a new haldex controller for ~800 that makes the system more aggressvie - it does not change the bias nor does it make it able to transfer more power to the rear - just makes it happen more quickly. From what I understand it makes the car very neutral and gets rid of any tq steer. Maybe theyll get some for the ford cars using it sooner or later....

Jeff

Responding to, "From the line I'd expect the legacy GT to beat out the SE-R. The SE-R will spin all over the place with major torque steer. It's just too much power going to just the front tires. However on the road stock vs. stock once up to speed they should be about even."

From a stop, Altimas should be behind a few tenths at the 60 mph mark, ~5.9. Remember, to get the LGT in the ~5.6 range, you are going to have to be pretty damn aggressive with launching the Legacy. Anything less than that will give the advantage to the Altima if the road isn't too slippery, and they have to worry about is braking traction, not stressing their drivetrain or getting high of clutch fumes.

Altimas are running what, 99-101 mph in the 1/4?

Man, with all the defense I'm doing for other cars, it almost sounds like I don't like my LGT, hehe.

-B

Yeah Im sure the SE-R will be a better fight, I dont think the 3.5 Altima had any power changes from 02 until the SE-R (could be wrong..) I think I saw one review somewhere with a 5.9 to 60, all I can find now is a 2002 MT review stating 0-60 in 6.3, 1/4 in 14.72 @ 96 http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0109_nissan/index.htmlAnd MSN Autos with even worse numbers than that...

MT has a 2003 review, 0-60 5.94, 1/4 14.42 @ 98...http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0302_clutch/index2.html

Anyways SE-R aside, and friggen grandma rolling starts aside, I dont think the Altima would be much of a match for the LGT...

Note to moderator: Perhaps it is time for a sticky "The Mazdaspeed 6 Thread," since no one seems to do a search before creating a new thread about it.

It makes sense. This is the "Legacy vs. other cars" section, and the new Mazdaspeed 6 is positioning itself to be the best rival out there, so why not?

A sticky is not a bad idea but I don't think it will fly.

I can however merge this thread into another Mazda 6 thread and going forward perhaps people can use the search function and then add to current threads :)

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Altima-Timeslip-3240.html

1/4 Mile ET: 14.162

1/4 Mile MPH: 99.450

http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/search.shtml

0-60 mph 5.9 seconds

1/4 mile 14.4 seconds @ 100 mph

Ah, mag racing...

Never going back to FWD or RWD, this AWD traction thing is too nice...

-B

Can't wait to see the markup on this one. We test drove a Mazda 6s (v6) before buying the Legacy. Interior felt cheap.

Knowing there was a $3000-3500 rebate on them, the dealer still quoted us MSRP on a loaded model! $31K for a Mazda6?!?!? When I mentioned that I was looking at a mid-20s price for a 6 at most, the salesman walked away mumbling something about "checking pricing with the manager" and never came back.

I'll bet the 6s go for MSRP+$5K for the first 6 months..

HV

That dealer got what they deserved.. no business. We paid $23K for my fiancee's loaded AT Mazda6s about 6 months after intro, no rebate. Many have since done much better since with rebates, down to below $20K for well equipped V6 engined models. That's a pretty good deal.

I do believe that for the first 6 month the MS6 will go for MSRP, but probably no markup beyond that. Who knows, it really comes down to if people are getting in line to buy 'em. If it sells for MRSP and the LGT keeps on going for invoice, I can't see why you would spend the extra $3K for the Mazda.

The regular ol' Mazda6 is a good deal, and so is the 3. Actually, top two cars that I recommend to people that want something slightly sportier and cheaper than the Honda/Toyota offerings, but either have/don't want to go VW. And manuals with the more powerful engines along with hatch/wagon styles are a plus.

No AWD, so I wasn't interested, but the regular ol' Mazda6 would have probably been the top choice if I could deal with FWD and wanted to pay 20K or less.

-B

Archived