LegacyGT.com

Interesting, found Subaru's Extra-S tranny fluid in quart bottles...

Opie

You are paying quite a bit for the repackaging as labor and containers aren't free. If you want it straight from Subaru you'll be buying 20L at a time ($135 + ship from KOP), which is a lot of trans oil changes.
Kyle "BlackHole"

IIRC, you need 5 quarts for the trans and diff (I could be wrong on that).

So pay $100 in quart containers for one change, or pay more for enough to do multiple changes.

I think a few people have mentioned that shifting improved even more after the first change, due to getting even more of the old fluid out...

Joe

I know it may seem ridiculous on the pricing, but here's something I posted on Nasioc to help folks understand.

In this we have:

Cost of the oil - as established

Cost to ship that oil to us - as established

Cost of the bottles, and no you can't just buy them in packs of 10. So you have a lot of bottles which are still pricey, and the empties sit there until you need them.

Cost to ship the bottles

Cost of the caps - like the bottles you have to buy a lot of them.

Cost to ship the caps - don't ask me why, but the place we found bottles ships the bottles from NC, and the caps from GA

Cost of the labels

That's the physical costs that are easy to quantify as they result in a tangible items right here in front of us.

Now we've got the following:

Cost of time to fill and label each bottle

Cost of cashflow to have them sit on a shelf

Cost to put them on the site and maintain the site

Cost to answer questions and emails about it

Cost to pack them and get them to UPS (yes, UPS does pick up, but if it's after the pick up time we run the orders over to the shipping center ourselves)

Bottom line there's more to it than just the raw materials. What adds on to it is intangible costs. Think of these as where TiC has to earn income as everything else is established. In the end the price per bottle in more than reasonable when you break down what it takes to provide smaller (and often asked for) bottles of something folks have been wanting for quite some time.

TiC - First off, never have I heard anything but fantastic things about you.

May I recommend potentially selling this in 5 quart containers...this may help lower your cost, your shipping cost, time to fill, and the overall product cost and help to promote people to buy it.

If you had a 5 quart container for $60 shipped, I would most likely buy it.

Don't know if that's possible.

Joe

We looked at doing a 5 qt container as that made perfect sense to us as well. Afterall, there's a TON more 5MTs out there than 6MTs.

Problem was threefold on that:

1) 5qt containers were actually quite a bit more than 1qt.

2) Minimum quantity was the same.

3) Since min. quantity was the same the packaging was MUCH larger which really drove up shipping costs.

100 1qt bottles are MUCH smaller than 100 5qt bottles.

What would really help is if I could find a local company where I could walk in and buy a box of HDPE bottles and caps, and my limitation on shipping would be how many I can fit in the Outback.

................Cost of the bottles, and no you can't just buy them in packs of 10. So you have a lot of bottles which are still pricey, and the empties sit there until you need them.

Cost to ship the bottles

Cost of the caps - like the bottles you have to buy a lot of them.

Cost to ship the caps - don't ask me why, but the place we found bottles ships the bottles from NC, and the caps from GA...............

USPlastic will sell you 25 bottles (caps included) for less than $20, plus shipping.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=14953&product%5Fid=14947

Archived