LegacyGT.com

Sti lip spoiler installed!

sandwood

Have U or Leg 05 (or anyone that has the lip) noticed a diff, does the lip really keep the front of the car down more. Cuz after go'n to stage one, I feel like i'm do'n ol school pop'o'wheelies when I'm gun'n it off the line......and when i get to stage 2 It's gonna be even worse....if you do notice it does keep her down some....I'll prob order one up.....=)

Thanx for the info guys

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no spoiler will help the squat that comes with a hard launch. I would say the spoiler is large and strong enough to be functional at speed, but I don't drive that fast to notice a difference. For me, it was a cosmetic mod only. If it helps stability at highway speeds, great, but I wasn't expecting a huge change.

You took yours off? I left mine on for protection against scratches :lol:

hehe, I'm sort of doing the same thing. plus the blue looks good with my regalblue paint. It'll come off or I'll take it off sooner or later.

it'll be interesting if I take the car through a carwash. hope there is enough clearance over the tracks. if not, I will have to bust my lazy azz and wash it myself.

as for downforce, I would think you would have to be going very fast for the spoiler to make much difference. I couldn't tell any difference at regular highway speed, and haven't had a chance to really fly with it yet. Other suspension mods will have a much more pronounced effect - I wasn't happy with the floatiness of the stock suspension at high speed either.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

The usdm bumpers are not bad at all. Maybee in the pictures they look a little big but in person they look fine and the car looks dam good. If you are not getting the car because of the bumpers you're making a big mistake and loosing out on quality driving time. As for your concerns jdm bumpers can be had for reasonable prices from jdmpartstx.com and hid's from xenonfactory.com or anyother place that has Philips brand HID's. The projectors were most likely made for hid's(looks like it). Just buy the car and do a stage 2 upgrade...you won't be dissapointed.

I know this probably a stupid question, but I take it that is the STI lip? What did you have to modify, purchase, and what not to get it to work? That lip looks like it changes the whole look of the Legacy at least the front end. One of the big things that is keeping from getting a Leg limited is the bumpers, sad but I love the JDM ones. Also the HIDs would be nice, but if those two things are fixed in next year's release you never know. It looks great though, great job

Have U or Leg 05 (or anyone that has the lip) noticed a diff, does the lip really keep the front of the car down more. Cuz after go'n to stage one, I feel like i'm do'n ol school pop'o'wheelies when I'm gun'n it off the line......and when i get to stage 2 It's gonna be even worse....if you do notice it does keep her down some....I'll prob order one up.....=)

Thanx for the info guys

You fix the lift problem with better dampeners and springs.. the lip isnt there to keep you on the ground as you may think. A really good designed lip is the one Greddy makes which actually makes your car have almost zero lift because it's a 2"+ tall lip. Get some matching side skirts and leave the rear bumper stock so you end up having a large diffuser for your car in essence.

Keefe

Keefe

Yeah, Keefe...I just went and read mad posts on shocks/springs/Sway bars and such thats in the suspension section. I've got'n my feet Pruned in the Audio world, Soaked in the engine and exterior stuff, and just wet in the suspension world. I'm Learning bit by bit from all you awesome people out there that are FULL of info......I've been reading all day (in between my installs......) So much info when searching.... LOVE IT! I get addicted to a subject till I know as much as I possibly can =)

Thanx to all.......

The usdm bumpers are not bad at all. Maybee in the pictures they look a little big but in person they look fine and the car looks dam good. If you are not getting the car because of the bumpers you're making a big mistake and loosing out on quality driving time. As for your concerns jdm bumpers can be had for reasonable prices from jdmpartstx.com and hid's from xenonfactory.com or anyother place that has Philips brand HID's. The projectors were most likely made for hid's(looks like it). Just buy the car and do a stage 2 upgrade...you won't be dissapointed.

I totally agree but I would rather hold out and at least have them put HIDs in the car instead of buying all the parts separately. The more I wait the more little problems they fix and maybe waiting for the chance of a Legacy STI. I can have dreams... :p

True. Thing is that they have $500 4100k plug and play Philips brand hid kits at xenonfactory.com with a 3 year warranty. I don't see there being any serious problems with the car as the chassis is already a year old(japan) and the motor is older than that(forester,sti,etc). Yea they probably will come out with an sti if sales of the GT are good, however I will enjoy my gt, then sell or trade it in if,when the STI legacy or STI wrx wagon come out or until I can afford to buy and mod a new S4 avant.

I just wanted to let you know that by waiting, you're missing out on a great car. You'll just have to remember there is always something(always!) along the horizon. Thats the game, if you want to be on top you gotta pay to play.

To stay on topic.....the STI lip is one expensive piece of plastic but I love it. I took patagonia and legacy 05's advice and removed the bumper. I was able to bolt it on there really well with lock nuts. That thing is on there good! Overall it looks stock but people in the know, are hip to it. I let my girlfriend peel off the blue sticker she likes doing that stuff. Nice lip!

I totally agree but I would rather hold out and at least have them put HIDs in the car instead of buying all the parts separately. The more I wait the more little problems they fix and maybe waiting for the chance of a Legacy STI. I can have dreams... :p

True. Thing is that they have $500 4100k plug and play Philips brand hid kits at xenonfactory.com with a 3 year warranty. I don't see there being any serious problems with the car as the chassis is already a year old(japan) and the motor is older than that(forester,sti,etc). Yea they probably will come out with an sti if sales of the GT are good, however I will enjoy my gt, then sell or trade it in if,when the STI legacy or STI wrx wagon come out or until I can afford to buy and mod a new S4 avant.

I just wanted to let you know that by waiting, you're missing out on a great car. You'll just have to remember there is always something(always!) along the horizon. Thats the game, if you want to be on top you gotta pay to play.

To stay on topic.....the STI lip is one expensive piece of plastic but I love it. I took patagonia and legacy 05's advice and removed the bumper. I was able to bolt it on there really well with lock nuts. That thing is on there good! Overall it looks stock but people in the know, are hip to it. I let my girlfriend peel off the blue sticker she likes doing that stuff. Nice lip!

I totally agree but I don't want to get into a Legacy GT and a Legacy STI come out one year later which should have everything I originally wanted. I hate to settle, but I say that within reason...

Then again I can always wait for my ultimate dream of a Infinit G35 Coupe Twin Turbo AWD Monster :p

Guest JessterCPA
It makes the car tax deductible in essence and I have separate pots for investment and retirement money. I wouldn't use all my positive equity on a car, but a nice downpayment...

Take my advice. Be careful. Very careful. You are using your earned & paid equity in your house to purchase a quickly depreciating asset. Tax deductible interest or not, be very careful. I would not advise my clients to do this.

Take my advice. Be careful. Very careful. You are using your earned & paid equity in your house to purchase a quickly depreciating asset. Tax deductible interest or not, be very careful. I would not advise my clients to do this.

+1

Guest JessterCPA
yeah, but he sounds like he knows what he's doing. I swore I would never touch the equity in my house till I was retired... but then last year I decided to purchase a rental home. This better all work out or I'm double screwed.

Not the same animal. You took equity out of your home to purchase additional real estate, in which you will build equity AND create rental income to yourself. This is a very common move, in fact, most commercial real estate owners have to start out this way. Your major concern is to monitor cash flow due to the additional mortgage and track expenses on the rental property.

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread. We could start a financial thread in the OT if anyone is interested.

Damn the CPA for jumping in, can you clarify why this is such a bad choice? I know cars are a depreciating asset, but here is a good question for you. If this is not a wise decision to use equity to put a big down payment on a car, then is a downpayment on a car a good move at all?

I have had that debate with a bunch of people and believe that you shouldn't use a large principal to put on a car. Please school me. By the way I just started taking classes to get a degree in Economics so I would love to learn some more.

Guest JessterCPA
Damn the CPA for jumping in, can you clarify why this is such a bad choice? I know cars are a depreciating asset, but here is a good question for you. If this is not a wise decision to use equity to put a big down payment on a car, then is a downpayment on a car a good move at all?

I have had that debate with a bunch of people and believe that you shouldn't use a large principal to put on a car. Please school me. By the way I just started taking classes to get a degree in Economics so I would love to learn some more.

pm'D you.

• 1 month later...
With thanks to Keefe and Myles (bc I was chicken about installing the lip) (nice meeting you both). Yeah, I know the car needs a wash. I definitely like the look of the spoiler and think it adds a bit of presence. I'll take some better photos once I clean the car.

It's a lot of ca$h for the lip, but I am happy.

I have pinks and there is maybe 3 inches clearance - haven't measured that yet. Photos are a little misleading because the car is on uneven gravel. It will definitely scrape parking barriers and the like that the car would previously clear. But so far it seems okay with normal curbs/ramps/speed bumps and the like. I will have to be a little more careful. Without pinks I wouldn't be too troubled by the loss of clearance.

Keefe also installed AVO front and rear endlinks and the jdm rear sway. All thumbs up, but I haven't had much of a chance to push the car yet. Cornering feel so far feels little changed, ride is the same. But I'll have to get to a good country road this weekend for some more fun.

Hey I am glad you like the spoiler, let me know if you need anything else.

Myles@Racecomp

Archived