LegacyGT.com

wagon owners: anyone tint the sunroof?

c-lo

Looking up at that big sunroof today with the sun glaring in I thought "maybe I'll get that tinted" Has anyone else done that? know it has a factory on it already; i think.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how does that work? going to have the other windows done professionally. Does it look cheap?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I used "static cling-on tint" on my sun roof, rear and side windows.
I've used that type of material as a background for a large aquarium. You apply it like normal tint film—with some soapy water and a squeegee to get out all the air bubbles. But when it's dry you can remove it by simply peeling it off. It's just a colored vinyl, like a see-though contact paper you use to line shelves.

Is that the stuff they sell at pet smart or other pet stores? or better to pick that up at a auto store?

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old threads - have you tinted your sunroof?

What %age tint did you use?

I have 30% all around, and I'm thinking 20% for the roof. 30% ain't much, and the sun from directly above is kind of annoying. But I think I could drive around full-time without the inner panel if I get the tint right, and I like that idea.

Anyone tried 10% on the sunroof?

I've not tinted anything yet. just haven't gotten around to it.

When i got mine windows done I asked Leeberbs about tinting the sunroof, as it turned out he had a scrap piece he put on the front section for me. Honestly that was all I needed since the shade is pulled unless the roof is open and I find the sunroof opening is a little too far forward and I would get sun glare through the tipped section. Still get it a little but between the tint and sunglasses I can live with it.

I plan on doing the whole thing. I like the visor open, and with the kids I'll want it tinted to help with the glare.

When i got mine windows done I asked Leeberbs about tinting the sunroof, as it turned out he had a scrap piece he put on the front section for me. Honestly that was all I needed since the shade is pulled unless the roof is open and I find the sunroof opening is a little too far forward and I would get sun glare through the tipped section. Still get it a little but between the tint and sunglasses I can live with it.

^^^^

If you are going to tint 50%, why not tint each and every window (not the windshield of course)?

50% is so light anyway that you could get away with all sides done, plus it'll flow really well as far as asthetics go?

I had med tint put on my sunroof. It cut the sun light and but I can still see thur.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I just had mine done today in the darkest tint they have which is limo. I love having it open but I wanted the front part that flipped up to have tint, so I just had them do the whole thing. I will probably have it open a lot more now or even closed but with the shade back.

I bought the car with 35% on the front 2 doors and 20% on the rest of it btw.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I just had mine done today in the darkest tint they have which is limo. I love having it open but I wanted the front part that flipped up to have tint, so I just had them do the whole thing. I will probably have it open a lot more now or even closed but with the shade back.

I bought the car with 35% on the front 2 doors and 20% on the rest of it btw.

my wife had the moonroof tinted for me, we use it alot more now

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I was goign to tint it, but was recommended not to by the local pinnicle tint installer.

He said that the tint is aplied on the inside to reflect the heat back out, heating the glass two fold and causing it to expand. He said that on hot days with the sunroof glass being completely contained will sometimes cause it to shatter.

I'd like to get the front flip up portion done. I like having it open but it seems the sun is always just in the right spot to shine through that part and into my eyes.

Not sure how dark to go though. I've got 20% on all the rest. I think that may be perfect.

Cheers!

-Ian

I was goign to tint it, but was recommended not to by the local pinnicle tint installer.

He said that the tint is aplied on the inside to reflect the heat back out, heating the glass two fold and causing it to expand. He said that on hot days with the sunroof glass being completely contained will sometimes cause it to shatter.

I always crack the roof when parked on any day that isn't gonna rain. Guess I gotta take my chances now that it's already tinted:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

That's one reason I went with a light tint. The shop I use has light, med, dark, and limo. I went with med that has a UV blocker and it works great.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 4 weeks later...
I got some cling-on vinyl stuff from TAP and installed it yesterday. I like the idea a lot, I just need to get some more time driving it to decide whether I want to go lighter or darker. This stuff was supposed to be 6% but I think it's probably 15% or so, it just doesn't seem THAT dark. It does the job though.

Does your sunroof tint go all the way out to the edges of the glass, where the black dots are? The tint on my rear windows doesn't, and there's a thin clear band around the edge, so I assume my sunroof would be the same, at least if I get it done at the same place. But that gap is much more noticeable on the sunroof so there's a shop that can apply the tint all the way to the edge it would be worth driving a little further to get it done.

Haven't decided yet if I want lighter or darker than whatever it is I have... but I guess that means it's just about right. :) It definitely beats no tint.

I had all the back windows professionally tinted to 35% and the sunroof to 20%. It looks like the factory tint in my toyota 4runner (same darkness). Sunroof in much more enjoyable now, but I wish I would have gone a little darker.

I went the professional route since I've done it before, so I didn't need to experience that again. Plus the pre-cut kits would have cost me near $100, but it cost me $200 installed. I paid the extra $100 so I could enjoy my weekend.

Definitely worth it.

Archived