LegacyGT.com

Aluminum control arms, best place to buy? Do they really make noticible changes?

Soda Popinski

After doing the stage 2 upgrade... I was wondering what was the best place to buy the aluminum ones down there, number one... and do they really make much difference to a car that's already on stage 2 with new coils/springs, links and bars?

On the LGT, is it just the front control arms that are upgradable to aluminum, or is there a rear set as well? What about the bushings?

Any info would be great... I searched around but nothing exclusive had been posted yet...

-S.P.

It won't be a huge difference. The front AL arms are only a pound or two lighter. However, the rears are alot lighter.

If your on stock LGT springs and struts, I would replace those first. This is more of a "refinement" mod.

This thread has my impressions of the aluminum arms (front and rear) but you'll have to dig through it a bit (<80 posts).

In that thread you will also find the weight differences for the front and rear arms. In my opinion, neither set will make a drastic difference in ride quality or handling. However, putting in the front arms is a great opportunity to add PU LCA Bushings and a roll-center correction kit (if you are lowered >1"). There is a better weight savings with the rear srms and lateral links, but for the dollar it is a very poor mod.

Too me the academic difference along with the "bragging rights" were reasons enough.

If I were in your shoes, struts would be on the top of my list.

Okay, here it goes:

20202AG160 - Front RH Control Arm - Bought from Legacy_Otaku, used with AVO bushings ($237.50)

20202AG170 - Front LH Control Arm - Bought from Legacy_Otaku, used with AVO bushings ($237.50)

20252AG021 - Rear RH Trailing Arm - Bought from K.O.P. ($296.17)

20252AG031 - Rear LH Trailing Arm - Bought from K.O.P. ($287.55)

For reference:

20250AG030 - Rear RH Upper Lateral Link - Bought from K.O.P. ($57.75)

20250AG040 - Rear LH Upper Lateral Link - Bought from K.O.P. ($57.75)

4BoxParts Adjustable "Forward" Lateral Links - ($175)

Differences:

Front Control Arms:

Steel 7.5lbs - Stamped and Welded Construction

Aluminum 6.5lbs - Cast/Forged Construction

Rear Trailing Arms:

Steel 17.8lbs - Cast Construction

Aluminum 11.2lbs - Cast/Forged Construction

Upper Lateral Links:

Steel 4.9lbs - Cast Construction

Aluminum 3.3lbs - Cast Construction

Rear "Forward" Links:

Not yet measured.