LegacyGT.com

Thank you and Good Night Subaru -- The Truth

Hey All,

It is with a heavy heart that I have to write this post -- but I feel the need to be honest with this great group of enthusiats.

I owned a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD 5MT wagon since June of 05. It gave me 75,000 exciting miles. That thing could run -- wow -- who would have thought that a station wagon could go like stink. Damn, it felt good doing it. Handled better than any of my cars (except my 86 944.)

Good looking too -- It was black over black and looked the bomb. It is a damn good looking car. In fact, when I first got it strangers would tell me it was a damn good looking car -- they were right -- it was -- too bad it wasn't a good car.

In the 75K that I owned it, I never felt confident in the thing! I could *NEVER* tell what the oil level was *EVER*. I aint no noob -- I know boxers, I know engines, I've rebuilt engines, engines are a friend of mine -- but with the LGT I never ever pulled the stick and said -- the oil level is A -OK. It was always a ?? But I can handle it -- this car likes oil-- so what -- some just do and I will simply keep an eye one it and there will be no heart ache.

I dismissed threads that said the stutter sucked or the LGT was fragile! Or bitched about this or that. These were threads written by prima-donnas that expected perfection from mile 1 to 100,000. They were expecting the impossible and I dismissed them.

No -- I didn't blow the engine for oil starvation -- I just couldn't deal with the spectre of future problems. The left rear wheel bearings went at 15K. The right rear went at 25K. The right front gave up the ghost at 30. I was told by Wakefield Subaru in MA that the rears were ok and were not making noise -- well until the new warranty ext on the rears.

The oil was changed not at 7500, not at 3750 -- but at 3000 on the button. Every 3K without wavering -- and by Wakefield Subaru -- I expected that should I have any trouble the fact that I paid 30 or 40 for a 10 or 15 dollar oil change would earn me some loyalty. Silly me. Loyalty extended to the depth of my checkbook I guess.

Oh, and just so you know -- I would be a 40 year old married father of 2 -- and I kept the car stock and rarely, if ever, beat on it. I mean, come on, you couldn't own that car and not step on it once and a while. That was some fun, I won't deny it, but every car should be able to take a WOT once and again!

So when, at 60,900 miles, the throwout bearing tore my tranny a new one -- you could color me surprised. Subaru was known for its reliability right? I guess not.

I brought the car to a place in Wakefield -- they took care of it right -- nope -- sorry you are out of warranty -- you are out of luck. Could you call Subaru of America for me -- I hear that they can help loyal customers? Nope -- they cant help you -- you are out of warranty says Larry.

I called IRA -- they helped -- they called -- and to SOA's credit -- and with IRA's help -- they took care of the tranny case with the new a-hole. In fact, they repared it at no cost to me. My faith in Subaru was rekindled.

For a time.

Left headlight. Sorry not covered under warranty.

Right headlight. Sorry not covered.

Left headlight. Ya I know -- not covered.

Right headlight. Let me

Left foglight. bend

Right foglight. over

Etc. Ouch

Etc. it

Etc. hurts

What IS that whine? Drive with the windows up and the roof closed -- a whine not to be ignored when on the throttle at speed. Final drive they say. Normal they say! Come ON!

Loud roar from the rear at 68K. Rear bearings -- not covered by warranty -- but then they were? Come ON!

Rough idle -- normal for the boxer they say! Really -- I have driven 911's with a smoother idle so BS is called on that explanation. Come ON!

What do you mean both rear control arm bushes are shot -- COME ON!

I tell the wife that service cost are part of owing a car and this is not sooo bad...

Headlight burned out AGAIN?! WTF?

At 68K the CEL shows its ugly face. On again and off again -- Misfire in 4 says the code. WTF?

Plugs changed, no change -- Come ON!

Coil changed, no change -- COME ON.

Injector changed, slight change -- YAY -- fixed it!

But WTF! 75,000 miles aint that much really!

$600.00 down the loo -- no really honey -- what else could go wrong -- Subaru is one of the best car makers -- don't worry we wont have any big outlays on this car for a while now!!!

Rough Idle again -- WTF!

Bring it in -- Compression test shows 75 psi on 4. No Seriously -- WTF!

Drive it some more and the idle is like a 2 cycle lawnmower -- WTF?

Read NASOIC -- lots of stories of ringland failure! W T F??? !!!

Subaru is a reliable car?

Long story long -- I got rid of my baby today and I am sad -- I wanted to love this car -- I told many that it was the best driving car I had ever owned! I wanted to believe that -- but I cant!

In the end it sucked. I hope for all you guys -- it was just my car.

And that is a stinking shame!

I'm out! C Ya.

-Dan C.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no poet and don't aspire to be one -- I am an honestly sad ex-lgt owner that wanted this car to be one of my best.

As to the T/o bearing there was some subtle notice given when looking back. It was mainly at cold startup when I could hear a slight squealing (almost like a belt slipping) for about 2-3 seconds after startup. I dismissed as belt noise until one day it became a scraping sound with the bb's in a can patter. It started that noise on a Wed morning and on my way to the mehanic the next day it failed and tore out the snout of the tranny case. Do a search to see the pics of the carnage.

Moral of the T/O story is whrn the clutch makes any weird sounds -- get it checked.

Now I am really out.

-Dan C.

p.s. the LGT replacement is a restored normally aspirated 1986 Porche 944. ( I am a glutton for punishment.)

Dan - sorry to hear about your problems. My Legacy is turning 4 years old this month, and can't wait to drop it off at the dealership and sign her over (end of lease). Your post reminded me of the first 3 of the 4 years I had my Legacy, and now I am spooked a little going into another Subaru at the end of this month. Although, I think I am far more spooked of something going wrong with my Legacy in the next 2-3 weeks - I just want to get rid of it ASAP.

I hope you have better luck with the Porsche - sounds like a fun ride. :)

A cursed car?

Was the car lowered, and what gas do you use? (you should use only premium, no matter what some say - a turbo boxer needs high octane)

And 75,000 miles is heaps. I have a 98 GTB with that many miles... Or should i say, 120,000km's. It blown a big end bearing (like the old 2.5's - the twin turbo 2L's are renowned for it), and my 3rd gear synchro's are fecked, shifter linkage bushings are literally GONE, my rear bilstiens desperately need a rebuild, and my left inner CV has torn a boot twice in the last 4 months.... That's what you get with a turbo subie that's over 100,000k's old...

And forget you should have a warranty, like i said, 120,000k's is heaps.

50K and I worn out a clutch, 2 sets of rear brake pads and 1 front pads, and burnt out 1 light bulb (left headlight). I blame Subaru for...geez I do not know ? Are lights supposed to last more than 2 years ? IS the clutch supposed to dully resist power upgrades ? Or perhaps the pads to be guaranteed for life ?

If I am to truly blame Subaru for something I spent money on that I did not want to and for which I am not at fault, it would be the tires - and me having to buy Kumhos to replace the Bridgestone RE92s. For the rest, it was either my driving style or my use of the car which lead to things that others may complain of and make them question the quality of the products.

I am sorry you had such horrible luck with the car. Truly possible but I strongly think you are an exception.

wow, that questions the prospect of a newer subie for me. in the three years i've owned my 11 year old car, only one thing broke - the head gaskets. after that, nothing except regular maintainence items.

Sad to hear about the bad service, and i hope the Porsche works for you

My '05 LGT has been pretty good to me except the 9 low beams that burned out before I went to HID's.

I still cant believe there was no safety recall for a defective design of these headlights.

Sorry to hear your car was that bad. Ouch

Carmakers seem to have good years and not-so-good years with respect to fundamental design issues; within a given year, there are probably good weeks and not-so-good weeks with respect to build quality. When you get a vehicle in the not-so-good category on both counts, it's a bitch.

I drove Audis for years and years, and my first one was in this mode -- a virtual lemon. Audi had that three-year everything warranty at the time, though, so I stuck with them and had only good experiences with six subsequent models. For me, it's a question of technology and engineering (mechanical features and so on), and they were it at the time. Now, though, Subaru has stepped in.

Good luck with that 944. They're great fun. HPH

To the OP I feel bad for you but sometimes you can do everything right and come up a loser and vice versa. It sounds to me like you had an exceptional circumstance.

52k on mine, ecu was replaced for cooling fan relay issue, burned out two headlight bulbs, once I disabled the DRL's never had a probelm with a burned out bulb again. I just replaced/upgraded stock brakes pads and rotors and that has been my only maintenance. Oh ya my stock turbo has a bad seal and is leaking a little oil but I'm upgrading that next month so i could care less. My LGT feels strong and i'm extremely content with it.

Mike, your other post on the SPT intake removal has me persuaded to take mine off. Maybe I'll get around to it next weekend.

Did you leave the lower air box (I guess it's the silencer) on? HPH

Yes, I put the whole thing back to factory stock. Everything the way it came from the factory. Just note - your car is going to be silent, even at very high rpms, high speeds, getting on it from a stop - quietness. There will be no turbo sound, BOV sounds, or any of the annoying sucking sounds the intake makes. It was actually shocking to me how quiet it got. Even the exhaust became almost inaudible.

......... the LGT replacement is a restored normally aspirated 1986 Porche 944. ( I am a glutton for punishment.)

I recall reading that the 944 had problems with broken oil pickup tubes, just like a Subaru 2.5L turbo motor.

Just by quantity, the biggest "problem" was a short headlight bulb life. They're supposed to warranty a bulb? What can any automaker do to shorten or prolong the life of a bulb?

It's a $12 part and 5 minutes to fix. Why bother getting the dealer to do it?

The TOB issue worries me some. It's a good thing that with my upcoming mods, clutches will go quicker than the TOB will :D

Finally, you do know that just because you sell a car it doesn't mean you have to ditch the board, espeically immediately. You can gradually fade away.....

it's a performance car. i think you've got to make some commitment beyond religious maintenance to become an enthusiast/student going in. this site is the real owners manual. the first thing you learn is to find a good dealer for warranty work. second is that no matter how competent they may seem (and once warranty expires), sometimes you have to take matters into your own brain/hands.

as for your issues:

fr w/bearing -- 60K warranty, rr w/bearing 100K warranty = arguably a shabby part for a lot of ppl, but that's a pretty good warranty.

head/foglight issue is infamous; anyone who has the problem and keeps buying halogens has their head in a cave.

if you took care of the bad injector promptly (as that too is an infamous link to check when idle is rough), you probably wouldn't have lost the ring.

t/o bearing just sounds like really bad luck.

944... get yourself a lightning rod, lol.

...There will be no turbo sound, BOV sounds, or any of the annoying sucking sounds the intake makes. It was actually shocking to me how quiet it got. Even the exhaust became almost inaudible.

I got my LGT.B with the SPT intake on it, but I'm assuming that without it, it'll be more like our 07 Outback XT, although I guess I'm expecting a tad more exhaust sound, based on the difference now. And, yeah, that giant sucking noise I can do without. Besides, changing back will give me an excuse to get an AccessPort... :p HPH

Archived