LegacyGT.com

more for the money

g37 coupe.

not into g coupes. the old ones looked alright. the new ones are way too curvy.

not into any coupes...except the 911. a few other exotics.

that is cool...

What are you into, just curious? Seems like you are favoring sedans in this thread. That is just fine, too.

IMHO, hard-roof coupes are the epitome of the automobile. The most purposeful design genre.

Convertibles are very nice to use, and enjoy, but they are much more flexible, and looks are usually sacrificed for capability to transition between top-up, and top-down. A speedster, or something completely sans a roof entirely is more free to be designed as such, but also severely limits or curtails the vehicle's use under the most basic weather considerations. Basic compromises sometimes are required. A roof is sometimes just necessary.

Sedans are also very nice, and more practical than a coupe, but usually the proportions have to be stretched, and bulk added to the design to accomodate two more doors, and rear head room. There are some very slick sedans, though. But there is an inherent slight or significant favor of practicality over form. Add more roof for a station wagon.

Trucks, Vans, SUVs, etc... are all far more about function than form. The sporting coupe is the most liberated design genre to put design and form above almost all other considerations but the most basic structure definitions.

Gotta love a sleek, purposeful coupe, at least I do.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that poor people can't afford either one.

Infiniti is not that less expensive than a BMW of similar configuration. Enough to be attractive, but the difference between 40k and 50k is irrelevant for someone who can barely afford 20k or not even that...

It all depends on your definition of poor.

I like the new G35/37 sedan's tail lights. They look like the G35 Coupe's tail lights, from the side. Now the G37 coupe's tail lights have a tall edge at the side. Unfortunately, the roof still looks REALLY tall and quite round in profile. Taller than Legacy, certainly. Good for headroom, not great for looks of the car.

I think Infiniti is doing really well sticking to sport premium, and techy niche markets. BMW used to be the definition. The tech went a bit nuts with iDrive, and the styling went a bit nuts with Bangle, and the cars got heavier, more luxurious, and more expensive.

Note I did not say more sporty. Maybe still powerful, but luxurious, heavy, and expensive tends to work against purity of performance. More power fixes the 0-60 stats, but doesn't mean the car is more fun to drive in more than a straight line, and premium cars like BMWs are not muscle cars. Straight-line fanatics have their muscle car options, and it doesn't have a roundel above kidney grilles.

The nice thing about the G35/G37 is that there is a good deal of aftermarket support. Not as much as Subaru but definitely more stuff then BMW. With more options available, this means that you can usually find more reasonable priced parts and service.

sorry guys.

i like the looks of the new g37 by these pics. will prolly check them out personally in a month or so. even the spoiler to me looks good.

doesn't look like it blocks the view unlike the legacy one.

the 40-50k mark...10k is alot man for a fractional loss of performance.

def might be my next ride.

all it needs now is the 400hp v8.

The problem with Nissan is that they rely alot on their 3.5L V6. Lexus does this too and Ford/Lincoln is as well nowdays, but Nissan's isn't that fuel savy nor is it that potent, though its getting better. I'd take a direct injected V6 with more power and better fuel economy in a performance car which is not what Nissan/Infiniti offers. Otherwise, I'd have no problem with a 2.5L Altima. Light, very light, and peppy.

all it needs now is the 400hp v8.

That is what I am talking about. G50 sedan and coupe. Too bad Infiniti doesn't have an "///M" or "AMG" special sport sub-brand. Almost all the letter designations are used up.

A BMW-M alternative version of the Infiniti G and M models with sport-up aero-kits, wider, simpler wheels, and the 5.0 VVEL 400hp V8 under the hood.

Let Nissan work the V6 and Twin-turbo V6, which even outpowers the 5.0 VVEL... Let Infiniti have the V8 as a premium option.

The problem with Nissan is that they rely alot on their 3.5L V6. Lexus does this too and Ford/Lincoln is as well nowdays, but Nissan's isn't that fuel savy nor is it that potent, though its getting better. I'd take a direct injected V6 with more power and better fuel economy in a performance car which is not what Nissan/Infiniti offers. Otherwise, I'd have no problem with a 2.5L Altima. Light, very light, and peppy.

i refer to the 2.5s as a 2.5 slow.

i drove a rental 2.5 few years ago and remember it very well. suspension was too stiff and when going through bellevue north bound in the left lane but not the car pool lane...it has/had very very short up and down bumping. the altima wasn't soaking it up at all. more like bouncing over it. 0-60 using the auto was what? 9 seconds or so?

had some decent flat braking though. ie not a lot of brake dive. BIG. too big for my tastes.

i welcome a 07 m.y. g35 and/or a g37.

Archived