LegacyGT.com

2008 Cabin Air Filter Replacment Help

DJ Wolf

Do all Legacy's come with air filters? I don't have the sticker on the door like my 01 OBW did.

If no cabin air filter was installed, is it just as simple as taking apart the dash and putting one in the slot?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tips. I did this on Sunday and it wasn't too difficult. Removing the plastic screws was a pain, and the one that holds the glove box in (with the chalk line) didn't want to come out so it took me about 20 minutes to get it out...then it proceeded to fly out and fall inside the side trim where I couldn't get to it. So I had to run to the local auto parts store and buy some more.

According to the paperwork that came with the filter I bought, apparently the OEM filter also fits the following vehicles

2000-2002 Mazda MPV (to Sep-02)

2006-2007 Subaru B9 Tribeca

2003-2006 Toyota 4Runner

2007-2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

2001-2007 Toyota Prius

2004-2005 Toyota Sienna (CE, LE model)

• 3 weeks later...
Is there an easy way to tell if the cabin air filter in a 2008 Legacy is dirty? I'm not due for a replacement yet, but I just had an oil change and the tech recommended I replace it because "it was dirty". But he did not disassemble the dash as shown in these pictures. I declined and now I'm wondering how he could even see it. If I can verify that it is dirty, then I'll probably just do the job myself.

Is there an easy way to tell if the cabin air filter in a 2008 Legacy is dirty? I'm not due for a replacement yet, but I just had an oil change and the tech recommended I replace it because "it was dirty". But he did not disassemble the dash as shown in these pictures. I declined and now I'm wondering how he could even see it. If I can verify that it is dirty, then I'll probably just do the job myself.

No way to see it as far as I could tell. Maybe he meant the air filter for the engine. How many miles on your car? I just changed mine at 15K and it wasn't overly dirty. I think I'm going to keep my interval at 15K.

Yeah don't bother with cutting and making your own homemade filter. Just buy the Toyota parts previously mentioned. I bought a Bosch cabin filter specified for Toyota on sale @ Kragen and it fit perfect.

FYI Guys, I found this filter online for $19. I got ripped at the dealer for mine but next time I may just try this place:

https://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Cabin-Air-Filters/Subaru/Legacy/-/AM-11483931/

Subscribing and copying.

• 3 months later...
Yeah, don't let the stealership grift ya. How much is the 30K costing you? My stealership wanted over $600 for just Oil change, brake flush/fill, Coolant flush/fill, Diff flush/fill and tranny flush/fill. I am going to my usual mod shop where they offer a standard price (plus fluids) for their 30K for about $500 and they will do more than the 5 things listed above.
I'm just here for the mods.

Has anyone tried the Zero Sports cabin filter? It is $50 but considering "free" labor might be worth trying out.

I had some issue trying to get the cabin filter try tabs to snap back in place. Despite pushing it back in...it didn't seem to snap back in place and I broke one of the tabs.

Be careful with the tabs...the plastic is very brittle and can break easily.

I havent posted in a long time but I keep getting these posts about the cabin filter. Its alot easyier to go to Lowes and buy a furnace filter for 11 bucks. you get 10 filters out of it and the wire mesh allows you to bend it to fit better. Take 5 minutes to read the post about doing it and you will find out that you can do it in 10 minutes. Its not that big of a deal. All the filter is doing is keeping the dust down inside. Most cars dont even have the filter.

The dealership wanted 680 after fees and taxes, but they had a 15% coupon on the site - so it came to around 590. They are convenient to my work, so I just took it in there. But I can do the cabin filter myself - just need to find the time...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
You can get this at your local Target.

http://www.webproducts.com/stores/w/webproducts/catalog/wabsrbr-300.jpg

You'll get 6 filters out of it for just over $10. Plus it's got activated charcoal.

This is exactly what I used today. Found it at Target on sale for $8.14. You don't need to use the plastic grid that comes with it. Just cut it to fit and you are good to go! Instructions were spot on and it took me about 20-25 minutes to replace.

Super job on the photos and write-up! I have a 2010 Legacy and I'll be buying a spare cabin filter soon. Just hit the 2,000 mile mark so I don't think the original filter needs replacing just yet. I know the glove box still has to come out. Just hope it isn't harder than the write-up indicates. :)

Just washed up after doing this filter/Home Depot replacement. Rogue77's write up is spot on. My car has 15,000 miles on it and the cabin filter was in need of a change.

Job turned out so easy I think I will replace it after every other oil change. :icon_razz

Archived