LegacyGT.com

2008 Cabin Air Filter Replacment Help

DJ Wolf

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

If this has ever been done it was in the first couple years when I was dealing with my original dealership, but I don't see it mentioned on my receipts.

All the repair shops and oil change places mention it but won't touch it. Even the dealership where we live now basically, in not so many words, doesn't really want to touch it.

So, 2008 Spec B owned since 2007/20miles changed now at 88k.

I feel really bad for neglecting/forgetting it until now but holy #@^%, no wonder. For something that is supposed to be changed out annually this is the most convoluted piece of OMGAYFKM I think I could imagine. This is an embarrassment to the Japanese culture. I think someone should be flogged in the streets for this design.

I mean it isn't rocket science or 'difficult' as a whole, in the grand scheme of things...but relative to its purpose and call for maintenance, it is utterly asinine.

Those 'retard screws' are the devil (not really screws at all are they - plastic snap rivet pieces of @#$%).

I feel like it's less frustration to change an alternator out than this stupid filter.

But...anyway...thanks to Rogue77 and everyone contributing to this thread...for that matter, this forum, for making Legacy self-maintenance (and mods/hacks) so comprehensive.

20160701_115423.thumb.jpg.cbec1a44b09b68a2e03afee0b27e20d4.jpg

• 3 months later...

I was going to do this as well for the first time on my legacy. Sadly I have never replaced a cabin air filter {don't even know if my MR2 has one}, but my allergies and such have been out of control the past couple years.

I see the Fram Fresh Breeze gets a lot of love online. Any others that someone would recommend? I wouldn't mind spending a few extra $$ to cut down on the dust inside.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Update: Just did mine on Monday. Took about 20min total. My 06 didnt have the 5 screws however, mine had the 3 screws you remove, and take out the "L" shaped metal bracket. Once that was removed, I just folded up the velcro cover and got access to the cabin filter tabs. Still tight, but the Corolla was much easier. Only took 5 min. total. Same location lol

Archived