LegacyGT.com

new suspension w/o lowering

snow05gtRI

Is it possible to put a new suspension on the car without lowering it? I've been seeing that most at least lower it a little bit. I'm asking this because someone has told me that the handling in the snow gets terrible when the car is lowered. I just want a little tighter ride w/o sacrificing winter driving (i go snowboarding...a lot). thanks.

You could always replace the shocks and keep the stock springs. That would improve the float considerably.

I think what hurts handling in the snow are sway bars that are overly stiff. I believe it will cause the car to spin more easily.

Is it possible to put a new suspension on the car without lowering it? I've been seeing that most at least lower it a little bit. I'm asking this because someone has told me that the handling in the snow gets terrible when the car is lowered. I just want a little tighter ride w/o sacrificing winter driving (i go snowboarding...a lot). thanks.

It's not the "handling" per se that gets bad, it's the ground clearance that suffers when you lower. As NutBucket indicated heavier sways at the rear can cause us the rear to rotate on throttle, but that's just a matter of getting use to the suspension dynamics in the snow. I actually like the handling with the 20mm JDM RSB in the snow, rain and the dry.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If clearance is a big deal to you, I'd search for a coilover that is long enough to stay basically stock height (my GPMotos do this). The thing you have to be careful of is that you can not only maintain the right height, but that the camber adjustment is sufficient for that height as well. As you "lower", you get more camber...with my GPMotos, I had to max out the camber adjustment to stay at stock height as they were "naturally" made to work at a slightly lowered height (I ended up lowering about an inch).

Honestly, unless you're driving in lots of deep snow, 1" lowering won't be too bad.

Spec B shocks and springs? I can't think of anything else...

i would get Bilstein HD shocks and US Spec B springs. the HDs are way cheaper than the Subaru ones and they perform better. i wouldn't bother getting JDM springs either, the US Spec B springs are readily available from dealers.

• 1 month later...

sorta bringing this thread back from the dead, i'm finally actually looking into doing mods now that i've been working and have some money.

couldn't find bilsteins for an 05 besides one site had them for the spec B. is there a difference between the regular suspension and the spec B? it said something about having to use the spec B hats. i found some for 00-04 years but that was all.

Are USDM SpecB springs taller than GT springs due to the taller wheel/tire?

They are shorter. Like JDM SpecB that are shorter as well. About 10mm drop on stock 17" wheels.

The only decent zero drop GT stock length spring is JDM GT Rev A/B.

Go coilovers ;) As noted, I love being able to adjust camber, height, preload, dampening, etc., to whatever I want. Zeals are quality stuff.

When it gets into the deep winter, I actually swap out the coilovers just to reduce wear and tear (snow, sand, salt, etc.). I'm not zipping around corners in the snow and ice anyway. And then I'm back to totally stock height (though that's not a big deal to me--also, I could get near stock height anyway with my coilovers.)

It's more $ in the short run, but if you change springs and shocks, you're starting to get up there.

Archived