LegacyGT.com

GTO Vs. Mustang Vs. Spec B

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you beat the piss out of it and are able to launch it correctly maybe. Bog the launch slightly and you're running low 15s I'm sure.

Search around the forum, those are 1/4 mile times that people get. :cool:

From personal experience I know my stage 2 is about even with a STI. And I'm certainly no drag racer.

There are even people that broke into 12's with stage 2 setup.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74193&highlight=stage

Search around the forum, those are 1/4 mile times that people get. :cool:

From personal experience I know my stage 2 is about even with a STI. And I'm certainly no drag racer.

There are even people that broke into 12's with stage 2 setup.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74193&highlight=stage

Well I've only had mine a couple months, and it's been warm for most of that time. Feels damn slow though :(

my 07 LGT with just the cobb reflash beats the 08 mustang gt. and is not that far off the gto. I say go with the spec B..with the spec b you get power, sleeper style, awd, and comfort for 4 or 5 people.

Hmm. Now you have me thinking again. It is not that I need the 4 or 5 person capacity as I have that with my Outback. I am just looking for something different to the GTO.

how is close at all??? the STi outperforms a legacy (even the Spec B) in every single performance category imaginable. They are two very different cars.

And to the OP, keep the goat;)

man id love to rock an 06 Torrid Red GTO and of course id have to put an intake on, corsa catback, and a 93 octane tune. That would be a mid 12 second car and with drag radials low 12s

Hmm. Now you have me thinking again. It is not that I need the 4 or 5 person capacity as I have that with my Outback. I am just looking for something different to the GTO.

If you are not married with kids, there is absolutely NO reason why you should ditch the GTO for a freakin legacy. This post makes me sick.

But i tell you what, if you are still interested in a Legacy then come test drive mine. Its got great power and is as fast as a gto (stock). Perhaps we can work something out

I think the newer mustangs hit high 13s in the 1/4 stock. Pretty sure you need stage 2 to do that in a LGT.

Straight line should be comparable to a GTO really so unless you want a convertible then not much reason to go mustang.

Hey im just tellin it the way I saw it. I test drove them back to back and i can confidently say that 1st and 2nd gear in the Mustang felt like a joke compared to the Legacy's

And in a straight line a mustang would probably need at least an intake, exhaust with high flow cats, 93 octane tune, and 4.11 gears just to be as fast as a stock GTO

I'm sure this has been discussed, but forced induction gives you modding options you will never have with a GTO or Mustang for more HP to $$ ratio. My buddy has an '06 Goat and it is defintely a beast. But it's a pig at handling. Don't know much about the GT's other than they're like refrigerators because everybody has one.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Well as you know all lsx engines have great modding options. Usually cheaper than LGT mods :)

GTO + Headerback exhaust + intake + Tune= endless tire shredding

As far as the handling I am sure they make some nice aussie coil overs. Obivously wont be great but probably must better.

The one problem I do see is getting big tires to fit on that beast.

Well as you know all lsx engines have great modding options. Usually cheaper than LGT mods :)

GTO + Headerback exhaust + intake + Tune= endless tire shredding

As far as the handling I am sure they make some nice aussie coil overs. Obivously wont be great but probably must better.

The one problem I do see is getting big tires to fit on that beast.

and the car is torn boot ugly....

If I lived further south I would have a LS2 GTO right now.

If you don't need a practical car stick with the goat. If you need space for 4 and awd then the GT or SpecB is a good choice. Don't get the mustang. They have horrible interiors and there are a ton of them on the roads. While they can be made fast they serve pretty much the same function as the gto only without a great drivetrain and a really nice interior.

Lol the GTO has a better salom time than the ls1 f-bodys and those have a better time than the legacy. The GTO could outhandle a legacy GT stock for stock. As for straight line performance, i have seen 05 and 06 GTOs hit high 12s bone stock with a great driver. The new mustang GT has gone mid 13s with a good driver so thats faster than a legacy GT and a STI, from a roll the STI is the slowest of the 3 for sure. I would keep the GTO, or if you want soemthing that can be fast as shit with jsut a couple mods get a 03/04 cobra do bolt ons and make 470rwhp and 480rwtrq.

Lol the GTO has a better salom time than the ls1 f-bodys and those have a better time than the legacy. The GTO could outhandle a legacy GT stock for stock. As for straight line performance, i have seen 05 and 06 GTOs hit high 12s bone stock with a great driver. The new mustang GT has gone mid 13s with a good driver so thats faster than a legacy GT and a STI, from a roll the STI is the slowest of the 3 for sure. I would keep the GTO, or if you want soemthing that can be fast as shit with jsut a couple mods get a 03/04 cobra do bolt ons and make 470rwhp and 480rwtrq.

WTF are you smoking? A STI running a mid to high 13? Maye with you or my grandmother driving. A STI other then the new one has been shown to run low 13's all the time. Mustangs are slow and loud they get the teenagers to look but anyone that knows anything about cars know they threw a cheap POS V8 in one the the worlds least relaible cars. I am not being biased because I have about 6 friends with mustangs and most of them tell me never to own one. The amount of transmissions, clutches, rear ends these guys go through with just headers back and a intake is hilarious.

If you friends go through rear ends fast then they rape there cars too much, i have had a 8.8inch rear that is in the stangs and with just a axel upgrade it has handled 500+rwhp for over 100 low 11 second passes and a couple high 10 and hundreds more launches on the street. The trannys i can see ford has always been bad at trannys. Im not sure how many times you have actually been to the strip but I have owned a couple 400rwhp and 500rwhp cars and i have been there many times. All the stock or close to stock STIs i see have problems getting out of the 14s, yes i have seen them go low 13s but its harder and rarer than you think. Also the only reason STIs run good 1/4miles times is if you launch at 5500rpms and rape your car, on a roll they would loose to even a 05+ mustang GT. Chances are i know more about straight line racing that you do.

Is the Mustang GT really faster? How about handling?

Mustang GT is capable of low to mid 13's stock. There is a lot more to comparison sake than a 1320 time.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

The mustang and GTO have better handeling aswell. They jsut arent as drivable all year round. The op said that ths car wouldnt be his everyday driver so the GTO in my boo kis the best of the 3 as far as nice weather or weekend warriors go. But like i said if you want just pure performance in that price range get a used vette or a 03/04 cobra.

Mustang GT is capable of low to mid 13's stock. There is a lot more to comparison sake than a 1320 time.

everyone i've seen with a mustang GT cant drive it correctly then.

there was a wrx with an sti swap and was running 8.7. there were NO mustangs lower than 9. and they seemed like seasoned drivers too. reaction times were less than 0.4 seconds.

(1/8 track)

but i have to say this though

to get the times the guys are talking about here you really have to beat the crap out of ur car. 5k launches. dont know what the mustang guys launch at but i'm sure they're pushing it as well.

that said, i dont think times are that important. my fun is based solely on my own car. not how much faster it is than any other car. drive all the cars. buy the one that stirs your soul (within your financial/familial/spousal obligations.).

car for sale. PM me!

To the OP: since you already have an outback which is basically another legacy, why have 2? You got rid of your GTO and i'm assuming looking for a similar car to replace it. Buy the Mustang, do some cheap mods to get the power up and have fun with it. When you want your AWD experience you always have the Outback then.

there was a wrx with an sti swap and was running 8.7. there were NO mustangs lower than 9. and they seemed like seasoned drivers too. reaction times were less than 0.4 seconds.

(1/8 track)

to get the times the guys are talking about here you really have to beat the crap out of ur car. 5k launches. dont know what the mustang guys launch at but i'm sure they're pushing it as well.

that said, i dont think times are that important. my fun is based solely on my own car. not how much faster it is than any other car. drive all the cars. buy the one that stirs your soul (within your financial/familial/spousal obligations.).

A mustang on stock rubber wont be able to launch any higher than 3ishkrpms without blowing the tires off. I agree that a STI with a good driver and a mustang with a good driver would be close but the 1/8mile the new stangs can trap 105-107 which is higher than a STI. I think the best i have personally seen out of a stock STI is 102mph. And i have seen stock ls2 GTOs hit 111mph

(1/8 track)

Not at all. I was running 8.7-8.8 with my 97 Cobra with just a mid pipe, mufflers and a shifter and street tires launching at 2k. It is also known that the 96-98 Cobra's have a shitty torque curve compared to the 3V motor in the GT. However, reaction time means nothing in ET. If you know how to drive the car and don't mess up then you can run a decent time.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived