LegacyGT.com

GTO Vs. Mustang Vs. Spec B

A mustang on stock rubber wont be able to launch any higher than 3ishkrpms without blowing the tires off. I agree that a STI with a good driver and a mustang with a good driver would be close but the 1/8mile the new stangs can trap 105-107 which is higher than a STI. I think the best i have personally seen out of a stock STI is 102mph. And i have seen stock ls2 GTOs hit 111mph

NO! I wouldve just laughed about your comment and not posted but now i am just pissed off with all the incorrect information being thrown around in this thread.

I have studied (very closely) the LS2 GTO, STi, Legacy GT, and S197 GT. I have also driven all of them

And the general consensus is that these are the following times if driven aggresively and correctly of each car, respectively:

LS2 GTO: 13.0-13.3 @ 105-108 mph

2004-2007 STi: 13.2-13.5 @ 100-103 mph

Legacy GT: 13.9-14.2 @ 96-99 mph

S197 GT: 13.6-13.9 @ 101-104 mph

There they are! those are the most accurate times you will get for comparison.

Now i had the pleasure to drive all these cars on the street and after all thats what really matters and this is what i came up with:

LS2 GTO: Car does not stop! Just keeps accelerating at higher speeds and higher gears. Getting on the highway was a blast and 3rd gear and up absolutely destroys the rest of the cars

2004-2007 STi: 1st and 2nd gear are a blast and go by way too quick! To 60 this car really feels faster than the GTO And the 6 speed really fits this car nicely as you dont feel like you hit a brick wall when shifting into 3rd like you do with the Legacy.

Legacy GT: 1st and 2nd gear feel about as strong as the GTO's. In fact, the car feels alot faster than it probably should. But after 60, there is nothing! Highway speeds is when you realize that the car really does have only 250 hp.

S197 GT: I was actually disappointed with this test drive. 1st and 2nd gear were boring compared to the legacy, and just pathetic compared to the STi. In 3rd gear and at highway speeds it was alright I guess, but I am completely stumped as to why you would trade the GTO for one as they both do things very similarly, only the GTO does them a hell of alot better:lol:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If just str8 line power is what you are looking for the GT will give you more bang for the buck mod for mod. If overall all peformance is what you are more interested in then the Shrek B hands down. Have a neighbor building up a 08 C.S. GT so far it's been mainly exterior mods other than a handful of powertrain mods & gears. Shifting @ 5400 this past weekend he ran a best of 13.01 @ 105, should have no problem hitting 12.7-12.8's without granny shifting. Basically stage II+ performance levels @ this point. He has about 1,600 in powertrain mods @ this point.........

Family fun every day......Modded Shrek B

Weekend bruiser......Modded GT

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Mod for mod the ls2 GTO would be the best of those cars. I have seen boen stock GTOs go high 12s and with bolt ons a tune gears and some sticky tires people have hit high 11s, low low 12s without even cracking a valve cover or the front of the engine for a cam swap. The STI is fast in the 1/4 because of the rpm you cna laucnh at fro ma roll, the STI woudl get rolled by the ls2 GTO or the mustang GT, i know my stock ls1 Trans Am used to take STIs from rolls by 4-5 cars and from digs they would have about 1-2 cars on me off the line but by 70 i would be passing them. STI is a 3300-3400lbs car putting 240awhp, ls2 gto is a 3700lbs car putting 350 to the wheels. The 300lbs difference isnt enough to offset that 110whp. Whoever said that the v8 cars lack mod ability because they arent forced induction is silly both those cars have bolt on supercharger and turbo kits for them, the GTO ould be around 450-500rwhp with a bolt on kit running 8psi, andything past 8psi and you need to start replacing supporting parts,

Mod for mod the ls2 GTO would be the best of those cars. I have seen boen stock GTOs go high 12s and with bolt ons a tune gears and some sticky tires people have hit high 11s, low low 12s without even cracking a valve cover or the front of the engine for a cam swap. The STI is fast in the 1/4 because of the rpm you cna laucnh at fro ma roll, the STI woudl get rolled by the ls2 GTO or the mustang GT, i know my stock ls1 Trans Am used to take STIs from rolls by 4-5 cars and from digs they would have about 1-2 cars on me off the line but by 70 i would be passing them. STI is a 3300-3400lbs car putting 240awhp, ls2 gto is a 3700lbs car putting 350 to the wheels. The 300lbs difference isnt enough to offset that 110whp. Whoever said that the v8 cars lack mod ability because they arent forced induction is silly both those cars have bolt on supercharger and turbo kits for them, the GTO ould be around 450-500rwhp with a bolt on kit running 8psi, andything past 8psi and you need to start replacing supporting parts,

Isnt the bottom end of LS2 motor good for a little more than 500, but anything more then 600+ then kaboom for stock motor....

Yeah 500rwhp is like 580 at the crank but its not the horsepower that causes the engine to blow after 8psi its the comp ratio mixed with too mcuh boost. Alot of guys just do bolt ons then spray like a 100-150 shot and make 550rwhp and over 600rwtrq and run low 11s all day, i have seen 10s with bolt ons and spray but its not often unless there dumb and spraying over a 200 shot which is pushing it. But thats considered the cheap way to do it. Those engines can hold that power for quite a while.

Why not go with the best of both worlds in terms of 4 door sports coupe with RWD and get the new pontiac G8, or wait for the GXP version to come out. Its a pretty nice car for the money and it rates up there with the LGT in a lot of respects, it does lack some things, but for the most part its a pretty nice car...

I think the GTO and mustangs are over-rated... HUGELY over-rated... I know you can mod the crap outta them an such, but everybody and their brother has em and knows what they can do... Why not get a semi-sleeper car, 4 doors, and have fun with the "shocker" :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

So, I am in the market to Trade in my 06 GTO for either a 09 GT, Spec B or Mustang GT.

I also drive an Outback and love it.

Apart from the shocks, 6 speed transmission and the nav system (which I think is way over priced, what are the other advantages of the Spec B?

Heads up, both the Legacy and the Mustang are due for a full redesign, which will appear in dealerships in the Spring. Only Mustangs out there I would desire to own would be the 2009 Mustang Bullitt edition, or a Mustang GT with Saleen's new SuperShaker system, which costs about $8500, includes professional installation, and makes at least 500hp.

Saleen Supershaker system:

http://www.saleen.com/supershaker/images/hi-res/shaker_charger_engine.jpg

Thats a waste of money, 8500 lol wow. Thats too pricey, at that point you should have just gotten and 03/04 cobra that can make 480rwhp 550crank hp with just bolt ons and if you have 8500 extra to spend just get a stage 4 supercharger for 5k and spend the 3500 on some tires to burn up lol and make 700rwhp.

btw... I went to a local Ford dealership yesterday to price out a lease on a 2009 Mustang GT - 3 year lease, as by then the kinks in the new upcoming model should be worked out, and I wouldn't want it longer than that. The dealer had an excellent deal for me... $520/month. WTF :diaf:

Like I said, was looking for something short term, and wouldn't want to have this longer than 36 months, but good lord - $520/month, and it wasn't a lease either, it was a red carpet finance (after 36 months, given a choice to turn car in or buy it out for the balloon payment, plus your name is on the title).

Thats a waste of money, 8500 lol wow. Thats too pricey, at that point you should have just gotten and 03/04 cobra that can make 480rwhp 550crank hp with just bolt ons and if you have 8500 extra to spend just get a stage 4 supercharger for 5k and spend the 3500 on some tires to burn up lol and make 700rwhp.

$1600 of that is the installation costs, which would include cutting the hood of the car and installing the rubber gaskets around the hole of where the shaker would come through. Plus, under the shaker is the Saleen supercharger. The kit is good for 500hp-700hp, depending on the owner's needs.

520 a month is insane for that car.

Agreed, it's just a heavy Ford, with just 300hp. I am assuming the Spec B would have equal power to weight ratio, and is far more luxurious. Don't get me wrong, I love muscle cars, but the prices they are asking for today are just insane. Hell, the 2009 Mustang doesn't even have the Sync system, which is available now on just about every single Ford on the market :confused:

Unless you are planning on dropping money on modding the balls out of the new Mustang, it's nothing more than a grand cruiser with a sexy sounding V8 and decent handling. If you are planning on stock drag racing, I would venture to say there are better choices for the money. If you got the money to burn, Ford offers supercharger kits (which need to be installed at the time of purchase) and will keep the new car warranty fully intact - plus give you a choice between 400 or 500hp. If you don't care about a warranty, they even offer 600hp.

I would like to see the holden 4 door sedan with the ls7 in american form. Now that would be something to think about.

I would love to see a Mach 1 special edition Mustang with the current body style, shaker hood, rear louvers, stripes, Mag 500 wheels, and making ~380hp on a naturally aspirated engine and a deep muscle car sounds.

Not at all. I was running 8.7-8.8 with my 97 Cobra with just a mid pipe, mufflers and a shifter and street tires launching at 2k. It is also known that the 96-98 Cobra's have a shitty torque curve compared to the 3V motor in the GT. However, reaction time means nothing in ET. If you know how to drive the car and don't mess up then you can run a decent time.

every track is different. i'm not talking times, as in absolute times. rather it was a comparison. the sti-ed wrx was murdering them. that's all i meant.

my track was uphill at the end, and was a converted parkling lot.

i brought up reaction times to show that they werent exactly noobs. i konw it has no bearing on the ET but i went there the first time and my reaction times were in the 1.xxx :lol:. they're decently experienced, is all im trying to say here.

car for sale. PM me!

I would love to see a Mach 1 special edition Mustang with the current body style, shaker hood, rear louvers, stripes, Mag 500 wheels, and making ~380hp on a naturally aspirated engine and a deep muscle car sounds.

Its harder than you think to make that kind power out of the 4.6 3 valve or 4 valve engines. The most i have seen out a streetable N/A 4 valve per cylinder 4.6 is 380rwhp which is 440-450 at the crank and thats a fully built engine. The 3 valve would have even a harder time. The pre 05 GTs were 2 valve and the most i saw N/A was 310-320rwhp.

Its harder than you think to make that kind power out of the 4.6 3 valve or 4 valve engines. The most i have seen out a streetable N/A 4 valve per cylinder 4.6 is 380rwhp which is 440-450 at the crank and thats a fully built engine. The 3 valve would have even a harder time. The pre 05 GTs were 2 valve and the most i saw N/A was 310-320rwhp.

I'd settle for 315hp like the Bullitt has, I just love the Mach 1/Boss 302 Mustangs with the shaker hoods.

Yeah, i have seen some turbo and twin turbo setups make over 1khp with stock heads, cams, internals and block, just intake manifold and the turbo kit.

One of the current Mustang issues on newsstands has turbocharging '05+ Mustangs as the cover article.

oh and btw... Here is some shaker hood loving:

http://i37.tinypic.com/iznuo9.jpg

Archived