LegacyGT.com

"Off-roadish" replacement shocks/struts

SkiDaddy

I use my '06 5MT LGT for pulling my dirt bike trailer in various dirt or sand parking areas and need to maintain my current ground clearance.:eek: At 73,000 the OEM shocks & struts are needing replacement, so I need a little guidance as to which brand to use.

The car is mostly a freeway commuter, so I don't want to stiffen it up much if any. Would I be better off w/KYB or Monroe shocks & struts as direct replacements? Should I use OEM shocks & struts or aftermarket KYB, or is there any difference?:confused:

Thanks.

Get some Bilsteins with SpecB springs. Way better handling and stock ground clearance. You could also try Konis with stock springs.

+1 to unclemat's advice.

I'm using the Konis with Swift springs (which are waaay too low for your application) and I've been toying with the idea of going to something with less of a drop/rate. Stock springs would be great, but I like the reduced roll/pitch/dive and even the stance I have now. I'm looking for something in the middle like Cobbs, Pinks, Rallitek, or Crucial springs which have less drop and a milder rate (relatively). Although, I might just save the cash and switch to coilovers someday...

It's not stiffer. And stiffer does not mean less comfortable. Stock suspension sucks. It is less comfortable than my Bilstein coilovers, which have like 70% stiffer springs. It's all about dampening to spring match. And USDM SpecB Bilsteins ride better and nicer than stock LGT. If someone thinks otherwise he needs his head and butt checked.

Yeah - AFAIK, it's the only Bilstein you can get without going through a Subaru dealer (or importing from Japan), which means they're significantly cheaper, but very high quality. I use them on Swift springs, which have a lot of drop, but the Bilsteins damp the ride very nicely.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Consider Tokico shocks and struts, too. They're adjustable. I haven't installed mine yet so I can't comment on the ride, but since they're adjustable I'm optimistic about being able to make the ride well with whatever springs I end up with.

http://www.fastwrx.com carries them for the LGT.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe you can buy the set of USDM SpecB springs from them for $160ish. At least that is about what they cost the last time I priced them online (perhaps from the same site).

Archived