LegacyGT.com

5EAT, any fun to drive in the GT?

Despite my wishes for the upcoming new GT wagon to be my car, most likely it will be sharing time with me and my wife (who isn't very good with manual tranny cars). Will the 5eAT with Sportshift be a reasonable substitute for me (looking for a sporty drive), or am I setting myself up for disappointment. Cheers, HeavyB

I think you will need to drive both first before making your choice. On my last vehicle I tried to convince myself that the manu-matic would suffice but it is mundane and pales in comparison to the real thing. I hardly ever use it and want to go back to a stick. As far as the wife thing, I don't think "his" and "hers" is such a bad idea.

It's quite good up till about 7 or 8/10's driving. I've even been tempted myself now and then, given the amount of traffic I have to drive in. It's only at really hard mountain driving or the circuit where it doesn't quite make the grade, otherwise quite nice. Really. Cheers, Paul Hansen

[quote name='HeavyB']Despite my wishes for the upcoming new GT wagon to be my car, most likely it will be sharing time with me and my wife (who isn't very good with manual tranny cars). Will the 5eAT with Sportshift be a reasonable substitute for me (looking for a sporty drive), or am I setting myself up for disappointment.[/quote] I am tortured with this choice, I really want the 2.5GT MT but have to share the car with my wife who has limited driving experience and is very reluctant to a MT. I would very much like for us to have one car only as we live in the city and average 12,000 km a year. One of my option is to hold on to my GTI VR6 (MT) which is already paid for and get a 2.5i Limited AT instead, that way it won't torture me as much as the car won't be as sporty as the turbo model.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='panos']I got the 4EAT on mine and auto is auto. I also have an old Suzuki Swift which is manual. I prefer driving the Swift on days simply because its manual.[/quote] That's true for me too, shifting gears by myself is the only way I can think of driving as fun as opposed to going from A to B. On top of that, as soon as I get into an automatic car, no matter how far in between, I begin braking with my left foot. Weird.

I'd like to point out that in the case of low-hp cars of middling weight, a manual transmission is indeed much more fun. But the new Legacy is not a low-hp car, and it definitely has enough grunt that you don't miss the small percentage of power sapped by the auto box. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Damn you Paul! I'm trying to make this decision as well and you're not making it any easier! :wink: :wink: :lol: I thought I had decided on the manual but I thought to myself "I'll just give the auto a try, it sure would be nice if I get caught in traffic." Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! The decision is too much!!! Guess I'll have to drive them both. -Ian

I too will test both, and if the auto is adequate, I may have to compromise. I'm glad you see it as a viable option, Paul. Truth be told, I'm not the type of person to drive more than 7/10 very often if ever, so it might be fine for me. Cheers, HeavyB

[quote name='HeavyB']Truth be told, I'm not the type of person to drive more than 7/10 very often if ever, so it might be fine for me.[/quote] Again, excuse my ignorance on this forum but... What is that driving scale mean exactly? 10 means you are racing in a closed circuit and pushing the car to its limits? 3 meaning, you change gears religiously @ no more than 2,500 rpm? :?: What would be my driving scale, I like to rev the engine a lot but would never push my car to its limits in curves (too affraid of that...). I like speeding (highway) but consider myself a careful and prudent driver.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='TeeLoo'][quote name='HeavyB']Truth be told, I'm not the type of person to drive more than 7/10 very often if ever, so it might be fine for me.[/quote] Again, excuse my ignorance on this forum but... What is that driving scale mean exactly? 10 means you are racing in a closed circuit and pushing the car to its limits? 3 meaning, you change gears religiously @ no more than 2,500 rpm? :?: What would be my driving scale, I like to rev the engine a lot but would never push my car to its limits in curves (too affraid of that...). I like speeding (highway) but consider myself a careful and prudent driver.[/quote] Sounds about right. x/10 is just an expression for how hard you are driving the car relative to it's limits/capability. You've got it right.

I look at the X/10 scale as a relative scale too. That way I can say I drive my current car at 8 or 9/10 on my drive to work (my current car being an '89 Corolla, driving 9/10 is actually having it start and driving the speed limit in the city to work). 10/10 would be 5m.p.h. over the speed limit. :) :( :oops: :cry: Cheers, HeavyB

[quote name='HeavyB']I look at the X/10 scale as a relative scale too. That way I can say I drive my current car at 8 or 9/10 on my drive to work (my current car being an '89 Corolla, driving 9/10 is actually having it start and driving the speed limit in the city to work). 10/10 would be 5m.p.h. over the speed limit. :) :( :oops: :cry: Cheers, HeavyB[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='SUBE555']Sounds like even a new Auto GT will be a HUGE step over the current putt putt.[/quote] :lol: An auto 2.5i will be a huge step over the current given the weight savings.

juice and bob are back from their trip to vegas! Check out the Edmunds.com Subaru Crew Meet the Members II discussion and 2005+ Legacy and Outback discussion for their impressions. Juice got to ride in the GT at about 125mph! Wooo! He also gives his impression of the 5EAT. I'd post links but then you'd be logged in as me. :wink: Cheers, -Ian

The analysis of the 5EAT from the fellas over at edmunds.com is making me lean towards getting the auto (even though I have the OK to get the manual). It sounds like the car will be plenty sporty for me with the 5EAT. Cheers, HeavyB

I hear you Heavy! I'm still holding out for a test drive of both though. If you want to know what Heavy's referring to check out the posts I quoted in the "Reviews and Article's List" thread. Cheers! -Ian

Well, I was facing the same 5MT vs. 5EAT question and I just ordered my Legacy GT Ltd. Wagon with 5EAT yesterday. A couple factors went into my decision in favor of 5EAT: - The extra cog keeps lower gear ratios close but also adds fuel economy - 5EAT gets sportshift option with wheel mounted buttons - Driving reports indicate that the shifts are quick and smooth (juice, Bob) - Sportshift holds gears to redline - Lateral g-sensor prevents upshifts in turns - Little or no lag felt from 5EAT (juice, Bob, Subie Gal) - 5MT is reinforced, but still of the original MT design. I'm still wary of clutch chatter and bent forks I experienced with my current 5MT. - 5EAT gets VTD, 5MT still uses VC (not bad, but reactive) - Wife doesn't want to learn stick - Bay Area traffic and hills are not stick-friendly. Try parallel parking on a 30% grade street! - Ah, I'm just getting old. :P Now, if the choice had been 5EAT vs. STi 6MT w/DCCD -or- 4EAT vs. 5MT, I would have chosen the manual. It's a difficult choice, but a happy one. You end up with a great vehicle either way. Ken

Archived