LegacyGT.com

What choice of USDM engine equal length headers are there?

edkwon

Looks great Ed. I'm sure you'll love the EL + perf gains... as much as i've had header issues, i love the more discreet nature of my el headers driving around town.

of course, WOT, it sounds like a pissed off SOB, but that's when it *should* sound mean ;)

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

got my headers, turbo, intake, pump, injectors installed and car retuned, very nice results, even nicer sound

Off with the old

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/416/cimg0239gb2.jpg

on with the new

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/1170/cimg0241vb8.jpg

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9462/cimg0257kk2.jpg

nice numbers, Boostjunkie tuned my VF40-18g setup to within 5whp of your car. dont you love how the power holds to redline now?

almost, my redline was raised to 7500, so my power holds til about 7K, lol

• 2 weeks later...
plus i'm sick of the boxer rumble and want to make my car sound a little more classy and inconspicuous.

Honestly, every time i hear an uncatted boxer rumble from 3 blocks away and see yet another modded Sti roll down the street, i feel embarassed, and i don't want to be associated with that anymore.

Well, I just went to jdm sti equal length headers with twinscroll turbo. The car sounds wild, kinda porsche / streetbike like.... I'd not describe it classy and inconspicious but that may depend on the rest of the exhaust.

Well, I just went to jdm sti equal length headers with twinscroll turbo. The car sounds wild, kinda porsche / streetbike like.... I'd not describe it classy and inconspicious but that may depend on the rest of the exhaust.

tone is not rough and blatty, but like you said more porsche like and blends into the traffic noise more, thus more inconspicuous to me. If youre comparing to streetbike sound, i think that has more to do with the rest of the exhaust, mine is not that loud until youre going close to WOT, so just cruising down the street or at idle, the setup on my car is not very loud at all.

Very different.

Do you have any other sound clips that's on regular roads.

It is very interesting to lose the rumble on a car that was famous for it.

I kind like it! I feel it does sound a little like a porsche also.

I might have to shoot a moving video on a street with no other interfering noise. Will look into doing it sometime this weekend.

Anyone who thinks that sounds like a Honda needs to listen to more exhausts.

The only similarity is the smoothness.

Ed - Very nice. Definitely going to be looking to you to hear about the overall experience and longevity (i'd be a little concerned about the heat coating, but only because I've heard stories of headers cracking)

Joe

• 2 years later...

Diggin' this up from the grave...

Does anyone know if any other modifications are necessary to use the Tomei ELH? There is a local shop that has one for a good deal, but as I was browsing through the nasioc classifieds I saw someone say that an '04 STi oil cooler is required to use the Tomei ELH. Can anyone confirm that?

-Chris

Believe our LGTs come with the STI Oil Cooler - standard on our cars, so can't imagine what/how that would be required to mate up the Tomei...??? Other than it extends the oil filter a bit below its normal location.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Diggin' this up from the grave...

Does anyone know if any other modifications are necessary to use the Tomei ELH? There is a local shop that has one for a good deal, but as I was browsing through the nasioc classifieds I saw someone say that an '04 STi oil cooler is required to use the Tomei ELH. Can anyone confirm that?

-Chris

I've got Tomei EL headers installed by the same shop you are talking about (if the headers you saw were sitting on Sparco racing seats). No additional mods needed. They sound incredible too.

You won't be disappointed. Out of curiosity, how much is he asking for them?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else know if there is any gains to be had with a bigger UP to go with the headers?

I researched that the perrin headers are 2" ID, and our stock 07-09 UP is 1.75" ID. I found a Titek Flex UP for cheap ($50), and it's 2.25" ID.

Should I stick with stock and save my money? Or put in this UP while I'm doing headers anyways?

Any negatives to having a UP with a flex joint?

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/titek_gr_uppipe.jpg

Archived