LegacyGT.com

Don't all spec B's have a 6 speed?

Too me, saying that it is smoother and can handle more power is subjective. I haven't seen any evidence that the spec.b 6MT is stronger, and "smoother" is definitely subjective.

Spec.B 6MT = STI 6MT > 5MT in terms of strength

Spec.B 6MT = STI 6MT > 5MT in terms of strength

Like praedet said, this is not true. The spec.b 6MT is a variant of the STi 6MT but is not identical. There are plenty of members on here putting down 400+whp with the 5MT holding up fine. The clutch on the other-hand...

Besides the 5MT has the gearset from the JDM STi spec.C (non-RA version). ;)

I know it's not identical. The front diff is different and the gear ratios are different. But in terms of overall strength of the gears and stuff, it is made just like the STI 6MT. Scott Siegel was telling me about how he wanted to put Spec.B trannys in all of his racing school's STI's because the gear ratios are better and they could hold the same power. Those things put down 550whp with no tranny problems for years. The 5MT couldn't handle that.

I understand what you have said and respect your anecdotal evidence. However, I'm not interested in debating without real data. My point was only that the spec.b comes with the 6MT, the benefits of which can be debated elsewhere.

If there is a line somewhere between 400 and 550 whp where the 6MT is more robust, then it is an immaterial difference for 99.5% of people with Legacies.

• 3 weeks later...
the differential difference alone between the spec b and sti trans' make them worlds apart. if the spec b had DCCD and a limited slip front diff that the sti has, it would make the spec b a totally different and better car, and IMO worth the extra $$$ over the gt.

Archived