LegacyGT.com

Which GM Brand Will Go?

Aside from Hummer, which will face the ax?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Aside from Hummer, which will face the ax?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't Toyota always held more or less of an interest in Subaru?

And how is the situation for Subaru worldwide considering the general situation for the car industry? We all hear about the critical situation that Ford, GM and Chrysler has, but not much else. Maybe they have adapted better?

And right now - I think that the question is more about if GM will tank or not rather than which GM brand.

453747.png

NONE of them make a wagon similiar to a Legacy or Outback that gives me the mix between performance and utility/truck. Dodge has a wagon that is a nice try but too short with lack of cargo space. Ford/GM just have usual cookie-cut square box on wheels that have horrible handling characterics and zero style points.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/gm_logo1_di_opt.jpg

Well, that was short lived. Ford just finished bringing its more powerful and efficient four- and six-cylinder engines to market in the Escape CUV, but the Dearborn CUV is going to have to kiss its crossover efficiency crown goodbye when the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox drops. Redone for '10, the new Equinox will offer direct-injection engines that deliver greater power and fuel economy improvements of their own, enough to push Ford's new powerplants out of the top spot.

This evening GM has unveiled a 2.4-liter direct injection EcoTec four-cylinder that will kick out 180 horsepower while returning a projected EPA highway rating of 30 mpg (Ford's 2.5L I-4 produces 170 hp and returns a maximum of 28 mpg highway). It's a marvelous way to send the old 3.4 liter V6 into the sunset, but if you absolutely must have a V6, there's also a DI 3.0-liter version of GM's excellent "high feature" V6 delivering an impressive 255 horsepower (Again, Ford's heavily revised 3.0L V6 produces 240 hp).

Both engines have been developed with an eye (or ear) toward reducing the typically increased noise of DI engines. There are rubber isolators to keep the fuel rail racket down and attention to noise attenuation was an important aspect of the program. Variable valve timing also allows both engines to be more efficient over a broader rpm range. Backing both powerplants is a six-speed automatic transmission. Now all the General has to do is hang on 'till these cars hit showrooms and pray for higher fuel prices to further drive demand.

Very, very good. Add cylinder deactivation to the 6 cylinder and now we are really talkin. And probably making some interesting noises.

I think DI will be a new standard for modern motors. Just like with variable valve time, only a few at first (mostly Honda) had them and then the technology was adapted by all automakers with their own versions of VVT, CVVT or whatever they want to abbreviate it as. Although we have yet to see how it will impact mass produced models and the longevity of this type of motor.

• 1 month later...
GM disbands High Performance Vehicle Operations

In what may come as a surprise to many, General Motors has decided to disband its High Performance Vehicle Operations (HPVO) as it seeks to reduce costs and focus on mainstream products. The go-fast center consisted of a small skunk works of GM engineers who worked in the company’s suburban Detroit technical center and were responsible for exciting vehicles like the Cadillac ‘V-Series’ of cars and Chevrolet ‘SS’ models.

The latest information was confirmed by GM spokesman Vince Muniga during an interview with Automotive News. Muniga stated that all “high-performance projects are on indefinite hold.” He also revealed that the former HPVO engineers would be moved into working on mainstream products for the Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet and Pontiac lines.

Some of the HPVO’s most memorable models included the Cadillac CTS-V, Chevrolet HHR SS and the Cobalt SS.

Sadly, Muniga said there are no plans for similar high-performance versions of future models. One of the cars we were all hoping for was a V-Series version of the upcoming CTS Coupe, complete with a 556hp (414kW) supercharged V8. Considering GM has already developed the powertrain for the CTS-V Sedan there remains a slim chance that the super-coupe could be produced but don’t hold your breath.

As some solace, Muniga said the HPVO could be reinstated once GM regains its financial health but with the way things are looking that could certainly take some time.

They did have a meeting today about possible reconstruction of SAAB, but it was adjourned. And there was an interview on the radio with a person that seems to have knowledge about what's happening, and the talk was about declaring bankruptcy.

The business rules are a bit different here, so there is no direct match to Chapter 11 and Chapter 7, even though there are similarities.

I wouldn't be surprised if SAAB kicks the bucket tomorrow or so. And I won't be surprised if GM is going the same way soon.

453747.png

Out of the big 3, they are the only one who hasnt made any real moves to save there ass. Ford sold stock, and is making some nice cars, dodge is buying other cars to stay alive(such as subaru). And gm is doing what, making 4 cool cars and praying. Good plan

No, i dont mean they arent buying the companies. What i mean is there are dodge dealers buying 08 and 09 fleets of subies from subie dealers and reselling them on there lots aswell as some honda vehicles and a small amount of toyotas. The one that suprised me was don jacobs subie/mitsu, now its just mitsu and they were a pretty big subie dealer around here.

hrmm.. well I dont live very close to any dodge dealers but I wonder if thats a local thing?

thank god.. I dont like toyota having a stake in subaru but dodge having a stake in it is kind of like a guy who was sent to prison for strangling someone getting a job at a rope factory.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

hrmm.. well I dont live very close to any dodge dealers but I wonder if thats a local thing?

thank god.. I dont like toyota having a stake in subaru but dodge having a stake in it is kind of like a guy who was sent to prison for strangling someone getting a job at a rope factory.

Why hes obviously good with ropes, better than the other guy atleast

Out of the big 3, they are the only one who hasnt made any real moves to save there ass. Ford sold stock, and is making some nice cars, dodge is buying other cars to stay alive(such as subaru). And gm is doing what, making 4 cool cars and praying. Good plan

....and possibly Fiats, Nissans, etc. They have their heads so far up their asses you cannot see their hands.

I dont think that will happen honestly.. at the cost of all of us in the us maybe..

We can ony hope that after we save their ass the 2nd time from their stupid decisions that they will shape up. Cos you know.. 3 strikes to make a car people actually want.. then you're out. and thats 2 more than they deserve.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 1 month later...

Archived