LegacyGT.com

AP vs UTEC

ripsweetness

I noticed most people here went with AP, is there a reason for it. I know the UTEC cost more does it give us more flexablity or about the same as the AP. It would be great to hear from tuners that have used both and the list of pros and cons for either

The AP is better for most applications. UTEC doesn't have control of AVCS and takes over all open loop parameters. The AP is basically a reflash of the factory rom to make adjustments to all the parameters. However the UTEC does support speed density tuning but most would never use it.

They both have their place. The primary reason to use a UTEC is to take advantage of it's speed density fueling capability. It can also switch maps on the fly if you have the remote map selector switch. As Infamous1 mentioned, you cannot control AVCS or modify the way the car runs under closed loop/low load. A UTEC in conjuction with a reflash is a nice way to go though. That is actually what I run on my car. The opensource reflash takes care of the AVCS tuning and also allows me to tune the transition areas of the maps so that when the UTEC takes over the transition is seamless. By running that setup I'm able to run a huge whale penis 4" intake on my rotated turbo. That helps with airflow and spool. My MAF is in my intercooler piping. Normally the 2.75" OD tube that it is in would max out the MAF, but since the UTEC takes over and runs the car speed density that isn't a problem.

Of course, I still need to finish my car, but I tuned an STi with a full Cosworth long block and a rotated GT35R with the same engine management setup and it worked out really well (would have been even better if the guy had enough injector...)

They both have their place. The primary reason to use a UTEC is to take advantage of it's speed density fueling capability. It can also switch maps on the fly if you have the remote map selector switch. As Infamous1 mentioned, you cannot control AVCS or modify the way the car runs under closed loop/low load. A UTEC in conjuction with a reflash is a nice way to go though. That is actually what I run on my car. The opensource reflash takes care of the AVCS tuning and also allows me to tune the transition areas of the maps so that when the UTEC takes over the transition is seamless. By running that setup I'm able to run a huge whale penis 4" intake on my rotated turbo. That helps with airflow and spool. My MAF is in my intercooler piping. Normally the 2.75" OD tube that it is in would max out the MAF, but since the UTEC takes over and runs the car speed density that isn't a problem.

Of course, I still need to finish my car, but I tuned an STi with a full Cosworth long block and a rotated GT35R with the same engine management setup and it worked out really well (would have been even better if the guy had enough injector...)

No more plans for the Hydra?

Thanks guys. I ordered the AP. I hope they come out with a way to use our SI drives.

SI drive can be currently used to vary boost levels and throttle response. The way I usually set up cars with SI drive is to have the car run wastegate boost on "intelligent" with slightly lazier throttle response. "Sport" runs the normal throttle mapping with boost a 2-3 psi lower than "Sport #". If you get the car Protuned, your tuner can set up the SI drive settings to your liking.

No more plans for the Hydra?

Naw. The super deal on the used Hydra fell through, and I didn't want to lose my cruise control and functional temp gauge. A couple of things amongst others that the Hydra would have forced me to lose.

Archived