LegacyGT.com

Gauntlet thrown: Corvette ZR1 laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/27/gauntlet-thrown-corvette-zr1-laps-the-ring-in-7-26-4/

Tadge J. Juechter, Corvette's chief engineer, announced this morning that Jim Mero, GM's development engineer, drove the ZR1 around the Nurburgring in 7:26.4. According to the GMNext blog, the run took place earlier this morning and that conditions were good on the track, with the exception of a strong headwind down the main straight. Mero mentioned that he felt there were a few places where he could have gone faster, although no details were provided about why and where.

Juechter makes it clear that the ZR1 that lapped the 'Ring was instock trim, with the exception of safety and communications equipment. As such, the ZR1 was wearing the same Michelin Pilot Sport 2s found on the production model, the chassis alignment and vehicle height were set to factory specs and the unmodified engine was running on pump gas.

The lap began with a rolling start – which falls in line with current industry practices – and the time was confirmed both through an electronic timing system and two hand-held stopwatches. The ZR1 team will be posting a video of their run when they return from Germany and we'll be keeping our eye out for it when it's online the week of July 7th.

How is that POSSIBLE? I mean that car has PUSHRODS 1!!1!1111! :confused: Did the driver have a mullet? I thought those cars were only good at the drag strip, at least until a GT-R shows up?

:lol:

It also has an 87 hp more, and is 480 lbs lighter than the V Spec, imagine how fast they could make it go if they embraced technology :lol:

Its three seconds faster then the regular GT-R. V spec is rumoured to reportedly lapping comfortably at 7:25. Nissan is aiming for 7:1X and lower with V spec.

I'm a bit disapponted with GM to be honest. They really needed th ZR1 to demolish the standard GT-R, rather then beat it time by a few seconds. It's going be ugly, on the 'ring, over the next couple years.

^^You mean by adding 500lbs........and making the car uglier

The new engine really is a world class.....cant wait to se what "tuned" versions put down

Dealers in my area are getting 105-110K for just a GT-R.....:lol::lol::lol:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

It also has an 160 hp more, and is 480 lbs lighter than the V Spec, imagine how fast they could make it go if they embraced technology :lol:

Wait let's start in with the standard GT-R but insert ZR1:lol:

-it's ugly

-ugly interior

-can't get for MSRP

-its a chevy

-rather have some other sport cars/supercar/exotic because dealer mark up will be to high

-bad fuel economy

etc..

Our Local dealer is getting 2......

Neighbor is a sales manager there & said the owner is keeping one the other has already been purchased for a sealed offer......

Was told it was just shy of 200k;):rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Just give me a plain ole loaded Z06 with a few bolt ons tuned for say.........75k

450-475whp

30-35k in my pocket over a GT-R.........:):):)

I like to remind you. When the Z06 first came out, it had some rediculous markups as well. Apples, oranges....

Base MSRP of Z06 is actually higher then the base GT-R MSRP price. Hopefully, the USD doesn't tank more and the profiteers get out of the market soon.

I wouldn't say that Z06, is the GT-R's performance equal.

Wait let's start in with the standard GT-R but insert ZR1:lol:

-it's ugly

-ugly interior

-can't get for MSRP

-its a chevy

-rather have some other sport cars/supercar/exotic because dealer mark up will be to high

-bad fuel economy

etc..

-I think it is alot better looking then that god-awful bug shaped Nissan, but not as good looking as the Z06.

-Interior isn't bad IMO, maybe it need more dials and LED for you guys or some carbon fiber

-Yup it's a chevy all right

-Mark up probably will be high, so will the GTR

-I'll give it 2:1 odds of getting better MPG then the GTR by a good chunk.

etc etc.

although it probably won't be the star in the Fast and the Furious 4 which will probably be totally CGI by then so it won't matter

20mpg in a 625hp car lol, not to mention that with bolt ons that car will easily be making 700+hp at the crank and with stock fuel system you will be seeing the same gas mileage. I have many friends with 03/04 cobras and they are making 100more rwhp then stock and getting the same gas mileage with just bolt ons.

20mpg in a 625hp car lol, not to mention that with bolt ons that car will easily be making 700+hp at the crank and with stock fuel system you will be seeing the same gas mileage. I have many friends with 03/04 cobras and they are making 100more rwhp then stock and getting the same gas mileage with just bolt ons.

Seems alot of people live their lives 1/4 mile at a time too :lol:

Well its alot easier and cheaper to go to the street races than a closed track. So since i was 15 thats what i have been doin lol. Street racing is pretty much all straight line. All you do is go to a local spot, its like a big car party, way more fun than any track be it drag or circuit that i have ever been too. So yeah i guess i do like power

Archived