LegacyGT.com

Is this transmission fluid too dark?

fishbone

I had a tranny flush at 36K miles, filled it with Subaru ATF.

Ran the car Stage 1 for about 15k miles, I am now at 56K miles.

This transmission fluid has been in for 20K miles, 15K on Stage 1.

No transmission cooler.

Here are some pictures. Do you think it's too dark? My mechanic expressed absolutely no concerns. The transmission shifts like day 1 from what I can tell. As far as smell, the old one smells close to the fresh fluid. When I drained it into the empty jar, the old fluid is what I would describe as dirty cherry red/brown. It's not black, just dark. Can't see through it.

Click on the pics of course to get the full-size version.

Here's a dip wipe vs a fresh drip from the bottle

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/516/dscf5297ge5.th.jpg

Here's fresh vs old

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4548/dscf5299pv7.th.jpg

I shook it a bit here so you could see the color on the sides of the jar

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/750/dscf5300oe2.th.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2803/dscf5301ag2.th.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8892/dscf5302rt7.th.jpg

Do you 5EAT guys mind posting some pics too if you happen to have some or you're about to drain your ATF?

even with the tranny cooler I would switch every 20-25k if modded;)

Stage II or under........Tranny cooler & change every 25K

Larger turbo...............Tranny cooler....the IPT touch & change every 20K

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I'm gonna stick with 20K drains from now on but just wanted to get some input on what this fluid looked like to try and see if I abused anything.

I should add that I am Stage 2 now and yes, I have a transmission cooler.

Does dirty just mean burnt like engine oil, or does dirty mean my clutch packs started eating themselves?

neither.....just dirty

It's always better to be safe than sorry, think of it as cheap insurance

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I mean really? Who gets their mandarin oranges in a glass jar?

I keed.

Regular changes. It's cheap insurance. Me and you both need to save for teh IPT touch per Wuki! And I still need the cooler too.

It's $650, but it used to be $1K not long ago IIRC.

If you put things in perspective, a TMIC is more expensive than a VB mod and the VB mod goes a longer way. I'd do that first and reinforce the stock TMIC for a Stage 2 set-up. I need to get both but the VB might just have higher priority than the TMIC.

If you put things in perspective, a TMIC is more expensive than a VB mod and the VB mod goes a longer way. I'd do that first and reinforce the stock TMIC for a Stage 2 set-up. I need to get both but the VB might just have higher priority than the TMIC.

^^^;):)

The VB upgrade is a must for anyone who is 5EAT and Stage II+. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you go Stage III+, you will need a IPT rebuild. ;)

Seeyaa, would you mind answering a question if you happen to know? What exactly does IPT do to the VB for the price. I know that this was answered somewhere but there are so many IPT topics now, I can't find it :( I know the end result, faster and firmer shifts, but how? Do they also increase the line pressure?

My shop also does tranny rebuilds and they said that $649 for a VB is not bad at all for an import AT.

Yep, I went to that site but the break-down doesn't mention which are included in the VB, just shows the break-down/run-down of stuff done for a complete AT overhaul.

I ask because some people said here "well, it's only a calibration" while others said certain mechanical parts are either replaced with high-performance ones or treated/reinforced.

Later edit: called IPT, you were right, Ty is very friendly :) He said that quite a lot of stuff is involved in the IPT so it makes the price sound even better. They replace springs, recalibrate stuff, reconfigure hardware parts, etc. The line pressure is also increased so the clutch packs hold firmer and the tranny overall is able to take a lot more power.

I asked for a ballpark figure of the stock max rated torque, he said it should be somewhere around 350-370lb-ft "at the rear wheels". He must have forgotten we are awd ;) He also said that as far as the stock tranny holding up, "it depends. Some can hold more power, while others have seen premature wear and tear and other issues". Either way, the IPT VB will prolong the life of the transmission and between the VB and a complete overhaul, there really is nothing else.

He also said that the re-learning curve of the TCU takes about 200 miles of driving, so at first it may feel/act a bit strange, but it will eventually settle. I also asked for what kind of feedback people have gotten as far as daily driving this, he said that the shifts will change overall, regardless if the tranny is or is not under load. I know there's another topic here somewhere where IPT VB users have offered their input.

He also said that the re-learning curve of the TCU takes about 200 miles of driving, so at first it may feel/act a bit strange, but it will eventually settle.

He was right on the money about that too. I spoke to Ty throughout the whole process when I had my transmission up there. (Now granted, I did a full rebuild)

For the first 200 miles, he said to drive it at different rates of speed, and not necessarily "just taking it easy". It was a little finicky at first, but after a week or so of driving, it was like no other automatic I have ever driven. To this day, it shifts beautifully and exchanges every bit of the power that I am pushing to the wheels. No slippage whatsoever. :);)

How many miles you got on your car and then on your IPT, hutru? Are you Stage 2+ or 3?

I just surpassed 60K miles. The IPT rebuild was done in March at about 56K miles. (So about 4-5K miles ago)

I am Stage III+ I guess?

List of mods below on my cardomain site.

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta revive this one quick.

Checked the fluid level and when cold it's at the hot max, yet when hot, it's about where it's supposed to be. Is that normal? Maybe has something to do with the tranny cooler?

Do levels have to be right on the money, or is there some tolerance? This damn dipstick is so hard to read.

Gotta revive this one quick.

Checked the fluid level and when cold it's at the hot max, yet when hot, it's about where it's supposed to be. Is that normal? Maybe has something to do with the tranny cooler?

Do levels have to be right on the money, or is there some tolerance? This damn dipstick is so hard to read.

i think the tranny fluid is supposed to be checked with the motor running, and the trans in neutral to get an accurate reading.

Archived