LegacyGT.com

Is this transmission fluid too dark?

fishbone

i think the tranny fluid is supposed to be checked with the motor running, and the trans in neutral to get an accurate reading.

Also, just before checking the level, I shift the tranny into all available modes before putting it into park. Check it when it is first started, and check it after it is hot.... on a hot day. The fluid really expands.

Don't make any changes until after you have observed and recorded a variety of cold and hot levels. It is a PITA to have to remove fluid if you overdo it. It doesn't take much fluid at all to change the level once it is at the checking marks, and of the two, low fluid or high fluid, you DO NOT want your fluid too high. Be patient, and if it looks like you need some fluid add just 100ml or so, then start checking it again. Same with a low reading.

If you have too much in there (which probably won't happen unless someone has intervened) you can get a cheap Suction Pump from Harbor Freight for less than $10 that will allow you to remove fluid from the dipstick tube. Trust me, removing "a little" fluid from the drain hole is one messy job :lol:.

I took a reading today after cycling the tranny in all positions and having driven it for a good hour in 98 degree weather. With the car running and in Park, the dipstick read at exactly between the letters O and T in the word Hot. That's OK, right?

Archived